movies from typically amazing directors directors that you avoid

Started by picolas, July 29, 2012, 12:03:53 AM

picolas

inspired by this post i was going to make in the Life of Pi thread in response to Pubrick:

Quote from: Pubrick on July 28, 2012, 08:30:34 PM
Quote from: picolas on July 28, 2012, 07:49:37 PMi did not see Taking Woodstock. i still contend that Lust, Caution is the most underrated film of the 00s.

Taking Woodstock was the most boring film of the 00s.

So, I dunno, career rebalanced?

yeah i've never heard anything good about it.. i'm kind of avoiding it so i don't have to experience ang lee sliding.. it's exactly like The Ladykillers. and perhaps a bunch of other stuff..

what movies from amazing directors have you avoided because you're certain they'll suck? i remember avoiding Insomnia for years, then giving in. my expectations were so low that i ended up kind of liking it. but i will still probably never see it again.

Reel

everything Hitchcock pre-1940. I'm sure a lot of them are good, though. I just avoid them out of laziness. His filmography is too big, you almost have to split it up into b&w/color

everything Orson Welles did besides Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil

all Francis Ford Coppola post-Rumble Fish

Haven't seen any of Altman's 80's stuff besides Popeye and I'm not interested.. unless there is some gem in there you'd like to point out.

2000's Oliver Stone. He stinks

I haven't seen any Spike Lee post-25th hour besides 'The Levees' which you gotta hand it to him for. I will never see Miracle at St. Anna and will avoid Oldboy like the plague.

ElPandaRoyal

My 2 cents.

Insomnia: I actually think it's pretty good, and I saw it with high expectations after Memento.

Pre 1940s Hitchcock: Stuff like The Lady Vanishes or The 39 Steps are amazing, and even minor Hitch like The Skin Game or Blackmail have great moments in them.

Orson Welles: The Magnificent Ambersons, F For Fake, The Lady From Shanghai... you should watch those.

Post Rumble Fish Copola: The Godfather Part III and Dracula deserve consideration, also Tucker is supposed to be good, but that I haven't seen.

80's Altman: Also haven't seen anything except Popeye, but Secret Honor is supposed to be the shit. At least according to PTA, anyway.

2000's Oliver Stone: Only saw W. and Wall Street 2, neither of them sucks, but they're not very good either...

Post 25th Hour Spike Lee: She Hate Me is weird and kind of funny, but far from great, and Inside Man is very good entertainment.

I'm trying to remember which movies I've avoided myself, but really can't think of anything right now, maybe because I should be working  :yabbse-undecided:
Si

Reel

since you totally dodged an answer for yourself, I will be giving no consideration to your advice.

I don't own any Kubrick. Too much of a burden to bear.

ElPandaRoyal

Well, when I say I've never seen any Altman 80's stuff except for Popeye, I'm kind of answering the question.

Anyway, thought about a few Love Bergman, bought the Fanny and Alexander DVD a couple years ago and I've never seen it. It's not that I've avoided because I think it's gonna be bad or anything, but it's just that whenever I have 3 hours to spend, I think "do I really wanna see an incomplete 3 hour movie or do I want t wait and see the longer TV version?"

Also, I very much like early Godard, but whenever I think about watching one of his later films, I start thinking twice about it and end up watching something else.

Ditto for earlier Almodóvar. I actually think I prefer his darker melodramas to his early comedies.
Si