What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Spring Break's here and I want to read a real book again.

This is fresh air.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Fine choice, Mod.

I need to go grab a copy, myself.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

gob

Pwaybloe

squints

Quote from: squints on February 10, 2008, 06:17:26 PM

I'm imagining it with a big-budget, no dialogue, and brad pitt.

-got it on amazon for $0.02

i finished this a bit ago and if anyone was thinking about reading it...do it! The ending is spectacular. I don't know if it would've made a great movie but its an awesome story.

So now we're on to this:

Generation Kill.

This one is hard to put down.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Mmmmmm... New Chuck Palahniuk.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Just finished these:

The first was interesting and informative, and is recommended to any of those of you who are even remotely intrigued by sociology or the analysis of relationships.
It includes a brief article written by Vonnegut.
The second is mostly a theoretical treatise on film preservation; the title's a bit misleading. It could be (and was) read in 30 minutes. Scorcese wrote the preface. Interesting at points, confusing at others. This, in my opinion, is passable. I don't recall him actually coming to any sort of conclusion, except to say that if we truly wanted to preserve film, we just shouldn't show it.

And since I never know when I'll have xixax access, I'll go ahead and put what's on the menu:

Bertolt Brecht, Cahiers du Cinéma, and Contemporary Film Theory by George Lellis

And finally:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Raikus

Quote from: gob on March 22, 2008, 06:31:54 AM
Starting:

Gob, how did Yiddish Policeman's Union stand up against Kavalier and Clay? I just finished Kavalier & Clay and want to read more Chabon, but I don't know if I want to follow it up with another heavy story or move on to Gentlemen of the Road. Any advice?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

JG

samsong

children with angels

^ A friend of mine is convinced that this book is the key to understanding INLAND EMPIRE. With the non-linear view of time as something that can diverge and re-merge in different paths, it kind of makes sense.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

JG

garden of forking paths is one of my favorite stories.

samsong

Quote from: JG on May 22, 2008, 08:41:36 PM
garden of forking paths is one of my favorite stories.

word.  i read it before buying the book and it blew me away.  "the circular ruins" is amazing as well.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Can't wait for June so I can snag the paperback of all the OOP back issues...  Mmm...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye