Instruments and repair

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, June 30, 2006, 12:57:29 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I hope someone on here is a guitar whiz to help me out, here.

My bass, as it seems, is broken.  I think the problem is the pickups.  I tried messing with the knobs, nothing altered.  I tried using different cords.  I tried using the amp and then recording into the computer, still no sound.  The strings are fine, everything goes as normal, except no sound comes out, so I assume it's something internal.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Sounds like the wiring.  If it was the pickups, a)you would probably still hear some sound from them, and b)they probably wouldn't both (or all -- I don't know if we're talking a two or three-pickup setup here) spontaneously give up at the same time.  It could be something as simple as a wire that's come loose somewhere inside the bass.

If you want to take a peek yourself and see if there's anything obvious you can spot, there should be a panel on the back of the body that you can just unscrew and take a look inside.  If you're not comfortable opening it up yourself, or if you do and can't find anything wrong, take it to a guitar shop.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sigur Rós

You probably have a loose wire where the cable goes into the bass. A really common problem and VERY easy to fix.... It's happened to me a couple of times.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Sigur Rós on July 03, 2006, 04:43:21 AM
You probably have a loose wire where the cable goes into the bass. A really common problem and VERY easy to fix.... It's happened to me a couple of times.

What did you do to fix it?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Walrus on July 03, 2006, 11:55:29 AM
Quote from: Sigur Rós on July 03, 2006, 04:43:21 AM

What did you do to fix it?

You just have to check that the two small cabels are connected to the input - if not then you have to solder them to the input (solder...is that the right word?)