something happened along the way

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, April 02, 2003, 03:31:06 AM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

been trying to get people to talk about actors these past few days
after my garry oldman piece i started thinking about something , how about actors who were suposed to break out and they never did

here is two examples

William Forsythe, after raising Arizona and waterdance , you would think he would be on the fast track to at least getting cool character parts in good movies, Like the kind of stuff Steve Buscemi does . But nothin , he makes B movies. Maybe he is hard to work with, there has to be a reason

Michael madson, after mister blonde the sky was the limit, turning down pulp fiction may of ruined him . But after kill bill and glorious bastards I think he will be ok .

We could put Micky Rourke on this list but any film fan knows why he didn't cross over and become the superstar bad ass mother fucker his talent deserves

give me some more examples of people that fall into this area

Sigur Rós

I would add Charlie Sheen. After being in Platoon and Young Guns etc. everybody said he was gonna be a "hot-shot-actor :-D ". But I guess  he totally ruined his career by making Hot Shots 1-2! I've never really liked him as an actor though....well I liked him in "Being John Malkovich".

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: Sigur RósI would add Charlie Sheen. After being in Platoon and Young Guns etc. everybody said he was gonna be a "hot-shot-actor :-D ". But I guess  he totally ruined his career by making Hot Shots 1-2! I've never really liked him as an actor though....well I liked him in "Being John Malkovich".

charlie killed his own career with bad ideas and a wild lifestyle.

See hollywood would forgive him for all his loose cannon shit like his total honesty in interviews, if he made great films. But well that did not happen

He was great in Being john malkovich, the funniest part of the flick in many ways. He was so in on the joke that it was funny to think of malcovich hanging out with him, and he played it perfect

NEON MERCURY

coffeebeetle

It's funny Mickey O'Rourke was mentioned earlier.  He was in Once Upon a Time in Mexico...and if Rodriguez had given him more to work with (like everyone else in the movie) he would have been great to watch.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Find Your Magali

Corey Haim never lived up to the promise he displayed in Lucas.

Ray Liotta, arguably, has never come close to the peak he reached in Goodfellas.

Turned out that Good Will Hunting was a fluke, in terms of Ben Affleck's thespian skills.

After At Close Range and Some Kind of Wonderful, I thought Mary Stuart Masterson was heading for big things. ... Fried Green Tomatoes was OK, as was Benny & Joon. And then she was finished.

Embeth Davidtz has been criminally underused and misused in the past 10 years, and I'm not sure whose fault it is.

Tom Hulce pretty much fell off the face of the earth after Parenthood. What's up with that?

NEON MERCURY

"Where are they Now"........by NEON MERCURY.....

where is that guy steve guttenbergh..the guy from policae cademy..and diner
annd short circuit.????????

someone help me before i pour hot  unsweetened tea into my phucked up eye sockets.....

...your answer must incled a "current" headshot.....

thank you....

Fernando

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

someone help me before i pour hot  unsweetened tea into my phucked up eye sockets.....

Somehow I thought of this scene...although I adapted it to you NM

Me: Do I pour the hot unsweetened tea into his phucked up eye sockets Frank?

Frank: No I want you to fuck it, yes pour the fucking hot unsweetened tea into his phucked up eye sockets!

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Find Your MagaliCorey Haim never lived up to the promise he displayed in Lucas.

I'm hoping to use him in my SAG short early next year...

Anyways, How about the Noxema girl?  She was about to break it big, and all of sudden she hit that little kid at the crosswalk with her car, and her whole career went downhill pretty fast... that's what you get for not yielding to pedestrians!

godardian

Quote from: Find Your MagaliCorey Haim never lived up to the promise he displayed in Lucas.

When I saw The Thrills last month, they played a new song called "What Ever Happened to Corey Haim?" Couldn't quite catch the lyrics, but it was a fast, catchy number. Hope to check it out on their next album...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Cybill Shepherd - She had freakin huge hits with Picture Show and Taxi Driver....and then there was The Heartbreak Kid which was pretty damn cool...all she seems to have amounted to since then is a now defunct sitcom (which is good). Where has she been since then? Don't know how good her chances are now but I really hope she comes back someday. I want to make her big comeback movie Tarantino style. She was so gorgeous back in the 70's...and a great actress too.

Keith Gordon - Definitely one of my favorite smaller unknown actors...he was in John Carpenter's Christine and Dressed To Kill....I just always thought he was awesome in those. He apparently is a director now having just made The Singing Detective and Waking the Dead which I've been meaning to see but kinda keep forgetting about. I'd rather be seeing him act personally. He has such a powerful presence, he has a great fucking voice. I feel weird when I see him in Christine cause he actually makes me believe that he is in love with this car and that he makes this impossible transformation from a nerd to a popular kid...he's amazing. He needs to start acting again.

David Paymer - Another unkown that I really like. He played the coach in The 6th Man, that's his best role that I've ever seen him in. It may sound silly but I cry instantly as soon as I see him in the locker room scene after Antoine's accident. I just fucking bawl. He is SO good in that part I think, and in the few other parts he had. Like at the championship when he's talking about his "big game" as a kid. That's just so powerful I think. I also saw him in this little comedy called Crazy People which I thought he was really funny in. He played "the hello guy"....great stuff. Also, in State & Maine he has a small funny part as the producer. Anyway, I don't know if he's been in much since then, if he has then please correct me. I've been meaning to see more of his stuff.

Patrick Renna - The redheaded kid from The Sandlot...the catcher. I think he's a genius. The last thing I saw him in was some freaking lame drink commercial....Sobe or something. He still looks the same. I think he could still be great. Bring him back!

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ebeamanKeith Gordon - Definitely one of my favorite smaller unknown actors...he was in John Carpenter's Christine and Dressed To Kill....I just always thought he was awesome in those. He apparently is a director now having just made The Singing Detective and Waking the Dead which I've been meaning to see but kinda keep forgetting about

He's actually been a director for quite a while. In addition to The Singing Detective and Waking the Dead, his director filmography includes 1992's "A Midnight Clear," an excellent film (and an appropriate one for watching this time of year).

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ernie

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: ebeamanKeith Gordon - Definitely one of my favorite smaller unknown actors...he was in John Carpenter's Christine and Dressed To Kill....I just always thought he was awesome in those. He apparently is a director now having just made The Singing Detective and Waking the Dead which I've been meaning to see but kinda keep forgetting about

He's actually been a director for quite a while. In addition to The Singing Detective and Waking the Dead, his director filmography includes 1992's "A Midnight Clear," an excellent film (and an appropriate one for watching this time of year).

Oh yea? I really have been meaning to see that Waking the Dead one, like I said, I just always forget. I mostly wanted to see it for Billy Crudup and Jennifer Connelly who rock, I wasn't sure whether or not Keith Gordon was a good director. I've always hoped he was. I'll check out that and A Midnight Clear too.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanDavid Paymer - Another unkown that I really like. He played the coach in The 6th Man, that's his best role that I've ever seen him in. It may sound silly but I cry instantly as soon as I see him in the locker room scene after Antoine's accident. I just fucking bawl. He is SO good in that part I think, and in the few other parts he had. Like at the championship when he's talking about his "big game" as a kid. That's just so powerful I think. I also saw him in this little comedy called Crazy People which I thought he was really funny in. He played "the hello guy"....great stuff. Also, in State & Maine he has a small funny part as the producer. Anyway, I don't know if he's been in much since then, if he has then please correct me. I've been meaning to see more of his stuff.

He starring in a new TV series that starts tonight called "Line Of Fire" where he plays a mafia boss:

David Paymer is one tough guy
'Nebbish' David Paymer plays a vicious loan shark in new TV series Line Of Fire

By his own admission, David Paymer is best known for his "nebbish" roles in films like City Slickers. "What can I say, I'm short," he said last week on the phone.

Well, fuggeddaboudit. Paymer makes Tony Soprano look like a boy scout as no-nonsense mob boss Jacob Malloy in the gritty new drama Line Of Fire. It debuts December 16th at 10 p.m. on Global and ABC in the NYPD Blue timeslot (that long-running series is going on hiatus for a few months).

Malloy runs his Richmond, Va., loan shark operation with ruthless efficiency. When a football player fails to throw a game -- costing the crime lord two hundred large -- Malloy is all heart. He doesn't order him killed, but he does tell him "you're done playing ball." After all, it's pretty hard to catch a pass after you've been lashed to a tree and goons have whacked away at your mitts with sledgehammers.

Later Malloy goes postal, repeatedly taking a tire iron to the head of a guy tied to a chair. This is one dude you do not want to let down.

The violence in the pilot of Line Of Fire, both implied and on-screen, is at an HBO level, on a par with The Sopranos. These are nasty people operating a dirty business.

Yet one of the things that drew Paymer to the role was the ambiguities in his character. Malloy grieves when one of his hit men goes down and counsels his troops like a father figure. He seems less bloodless, at times, than the FBI team on his tail.

They're led by Leslie Hope, the Nova Scotia native who, as Teri Bauer, was the surprise sacrifice in the cliffhanger to season one of 24. Hope's flinty, chain-smoking FBI boss Lisa Cohen is as complex and unforgiving -- and as astonishing -- as Paymer's performance as Malloy.

Creator Rod Lurie (The Contender) must be credited for casting against type in such a daring way. Payner says its a Lurie specialty, a way to challenge actors to new heights.

Paymer rises to the challenge and then some. This is a startling, star-making performance from a life-long character actor.

It's only after going back and checking Paymer's bio that some hint of Malloy emerges. Sure he goofed around with Billy Crystal in Mr. Saturday Night and two Slickers romps but he's also played ambiguous characters before in excellent films such as Quiz Show and State And Main.

He says he can find things to admire in Malloy, including his competitive edge and his dedication to his men. "If I didn't like him at all I probably couldn't play him," he says, giving full credit to Lurie for turning him loose.

There's a deep ensemble beyond Paymer and Hope. Leslie Bibb (Popular) plays a soft-spoken yet determined rookie agent out to avenge her late hubby, killed in the Pentagon attack of Sept. 11. Jeffrey D. Sams plays a gabby, goody-two-shoes agent. Anson Mount plays a trigger-happy debt collector who wins Malloy's confidence.

We've seen this good vs. evil story line before but Line Of Fire brings us original characters brought to life by terrific actors. Bottom line, worth watching just to see if Paymer and Hope can keep it up week after week.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks