tegan and sara

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 12, 2005, 10:38:24 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I'd just like to express my love for "walking with a ghost" and "you wouldn't like me."

"I won't be left" and "my number" are pretty good too.

ono

I saw them on Conan a while back.  I think my comments were like, "Pretty weird, but pretty catchy.  Unique."  Don't remember too much, but I would like to know what song it was they performed.

cecilia

I'm sure the song on Conan was "Walking With A Ghost" and it's a great simple little song, I remember seeing them perform it on one of the late nights so may have well be the same performance.  It's way better on the record than the show I saw.  I love her voice on that tune, sounds a lot like Brenda Lee or someone like that.  

Really none of the other songs on the album grabbed me much but I only listened to it a couple of times one day in the car, haven't pulled it back out since November.
I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.

Thrindle

Yay!  They are my favorite Vancouverite Twin Lesbians.  "Living Room" is good, and so is "My Number".  Good to see this thread on xixax.   :-D
Classic.

pete

I thought only one of them was a lesbian.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Thrindle

Hmmm... my gay best friend told me both.  I'll tell her to get her facts straight.  I always assume that what she says about gay celebrities is true because of her mildly smug attitude... like... "Yeah, well Nikki, he's gay.  So there.  Haha."
Classic.

Rudie Obias

they're my current obsession!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Jeremy Blackman

"You Wouldn't Like Me" is growing on me like a fungus. I also realize that "Walking With A Ghost" doesn't have as much replay value.

The "So Jealous" title track is interesting... it's kind of emulating "A Day in the Life"...

Jeremy Blackman

I put this song on my playlist, fell in love with it, and eventually realized that's it's not on any of their albums. It was a demo, apparently.

Here's a convenient download:

Hello

pete

my buddy told me this cute story about going to see them in portland with a few of his friends, and then they took this photo together.  then he moved to LA and realized that they were playing at pomona college, so him and his buddy dug up the picture, went to kinkos and made a t-shirt out of it.  when they went to pomona they realized that the show was completely sold out, and no one was scalping tickets at all.  they were kind of bummed because my buddy spent like 28 bucks on four shirts or something.  standing by the door they realized that all they needed were some orange wristbands to get in or something.  so they went back to his car, got an orange marker, and cut up some strips (of what I don't remember) and then colored them orange, with a layer of masking tape.  they raised their wrists and walked right past the doorman.  anyways, they went up to tegan and sara after the show and gave them their t-shirts and took this photo.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

I've grown to love the entirety of So Jealous (with the possible exception of I Know I Know I Know). A really great track—maybe the best—is I Can't Take It. Took me forever to find that one.

If It Was You is also a pretty great album. I especially love Living Room, City Girl, You Went Away (Tegan's vocals are amazing on all of those), Terrible Storm, and Time Running.

This Business of Art, on the other hand, is mostly crap.

I've learned to distinguish their voices, but here's the important question. Apparently they write (mostly) separately. Can we assume that whoever is a lead on a particular song wrote that song? (I can't find any specific credits.)

Just because people should hear these, I'm throwing a few b-sides onto Xixax:

It really took me a while to appreciate Tegan & Sara, but it was worth it.

Jeremy Blackman

TEN TEGAN & SARA SONGS EVERYONE SHOULD HEAR

durable/evolving songs that grow on you
1. I CAN'T TAKE IT
2. YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ME
3. DON'T CONFESS (Takes a little while, but it's surprisingly becoming one of my favorite songs)
4. TERRIBLE STORM (Live version preferable... see download above.)
5. LIVING ROOM

accessible/infectious songs
1. WALKING WITH A GHOST
2. WE DIDN'T DO IT
3. CITY GIRL
4. TIME RUNNING
5. MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY

polkablues

All I had heard before those ones you posted was "Walking With A Ghost", which had one-hit-wonder written all over it -- until I started hearing the rest of their stuff.  

If you like Tegan & Sara (and clearly you do), you should check out Butterfly Boucher and Eisley.  Specifically find the Butterfly songs "Life is Short" and "I Can't Make Me", and the Eisley songs "Telescope Eyes" and "Golly, Sandra".
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

So I had heard this song I liked that goes "Out of my mind, out of my mind" and never knew who it was from, until I heard a radio commercial promoting Tegan and Sara's album. Then I remembered Jeremy fawning over them in this thread and was intrigued to hear some of their other songs. I ended up previewing the So Jealous album at the store and was surprised how every track had a distinct sound, and not one song made me want to skip to the next one. A Labor Day sale also helped my decision to buy the album and now it's in my rotation.

Thanks, Jeremy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I hadn't heard any of their music before, except for some of "Walking With A Ghost."  I haven't been in a position to actually buy any music, so I've been relying on free MP3s for my new music, which actually has the benefit of exposing me to more music, but just not the whole album of anybody.

These MP3s are great.  Thanks JB.