The 79th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, September 07, 2006, 11:30:31 PM

modage

this was amazing.  my favorite movie of the year won Best Picture.  this will not happen again for at least a decade. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Maybe it's not fair to judge Scorsese against past Scorsese.  He made the best picture out of those nominees, but as I glance over at my Raging Bull DVD, it all just seems kind of silly.

MacGuffin

The way things were going, I thought Pan's was a lock for Best Foreign.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

What can I say, I just witnessed Martin Scorsese winning an Oscar. I'm really just so happy. Did he say something about making 12-15 more films with Leo?
WWPTAD?

picolas

good:
- the order that made you think one thing was going to win and kept surprising (pan's must get best foreign, sunshine has a chance at best pic)
- tom hanks: "That's right ______! Lots more fun!"
- comedy musical
- meryl streep
- downey on being high
- generally inspiring.. more so than the last few shows.
- degeneres. way better than i expected.
- scorsese obviously
- "master stanley kubrick"
- i probably forgot some stuff. (edit: sound gag, Al Gore announcement gag, what Gamblour said)

not good:
- the order. all the big stuff at the end.
- super short acting clips, but better than nothing a couple years back.
- more spoilers than usual

?:
- jack nicholson began to write something on his hand.. cut away before we understood what he was doing
- seinfeld doing stand up that had nothing to do with what he was presenting.. it started out good but ran too long. i liked seeing him, though.
- santaolalla's music clip for best original score was iguazu which was composed long before babel as far as i know.. it's neat how he's won twice in a row for score.. what's the record?

modage

The Departed 4 Wins (5 Nominations)
Pan's Labyrinth 3 Wins (6 Nominations)
Little Miss Sunshine 2 Wins (4 Nominations)
Dreamgirls 2 Wins (8 Nominations)
Marie Antoinette 1 Win (1 Nomination)
Babel 1 Win (7 Nominations)
Children Of Men 0 Wins (3 Nominations)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

I was very impressed with Ellen. Her sense of humor really works well with the ceremony. Not so much her tambourine dancing, but still very excellent. Forest Whitaker's speech especially intense, but had a couple of the actors tearing up, it seems, including McAvoy. Having the three film school brats give Scorsese his award, just an amazing touch, very incredible. That clip of Peter O'Toole made me want to see Venus.

I can't believe the costumer winner worked on Barry Lyndon, very cool to hear her mention the master. The shadow people were cool and entertaining, not at all stuffy like the show wants to be some years.

Don't forget mod: An Inconvenient Truth 2/2
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

Ellen was good, but they didn't really use her as much as they could have.

Getting rid of Original song would do the Oscars SO much good.  It's just not necessary anymore.

The most predictable Oscars I've seen in a long time... 13 out of the 19 I bothered to make a pick on won...  I knew Marty would get director, but was still surprised it got picture.... it just plain wasn't anywhere near being the best movie, maybe that's why it surprised me a little.

I was pissed about Pan not getting best foreign film.

Glad the interpretive dances were really quick.

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 25, 2007, 11:25:42 PM

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 26, 2007, 12:03:25 AM

Don't forget, "Amelie" once lost this category to "No Man's Land".  I think the whole category is voted on by former Olympics figure skating judges.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

Pretty much agree with Picolas specially 'master SK', that was awesome.

Quote from: polkablues on February 26, 2007, 12:46:50 AM

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 25, 2007, 11:25:42 PM

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 26, 2007, 12:03:25 AM

Don't forget, "Amelie" once lost this category to "No Man's Land".  I think the whole category is voted on by former Olympics figure skating judges.

Exactly, a guy in a radio show was saying Pan's lost was due to the age of academy members, that they went for the safer pick.  :yabbse-angry:

Pretty much everybody in MĂ©xico thought Pan's was a lock too.  :yabbse-sad: At least Pan's got some well deserved recognition.

Quote from: picolas on February 25, 2007, 11:42:51 PM
- santaolalla's music clip for best original score was iguazu which was composed long before babel as far as i know.. it's neat how he's won twice in a row for score.. what's the record?

Yeah, that was also on The Insider.

Rudie Obias

THE LIVES OF OTHERS is an fanastic film!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm still pretty confused about the lack of any real attention to the Fountain by the Academy Awards.  No noms at all... what the fuck is going on?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: rudiecorexxx on February 26, 2007, 03:28:37 PM
THE LIVES OF OTHERS is an fanastic film!

Yea, I've heard that too. I really want to see it and while I really did like Pan's Labryinth, it doesn't seem a very bad film won over it.

The Departed, which I didn't like as a Martin Scorsese film or an action film, seemed like a fluke winner. I think about Driving Miss Daisy winning in 1989 when I think about The Departed winning. If people think there were no good films to pick from, I'll mention Letters from Iwo Jima as the better candidate. Eastwood's success lately at the Oscars has made him old hat, but I just saw Letters from Iwo Jima (along with Flags of Our Fathers) and he's really doing his best work. Letters from Iwo Jima was tremendous and should have been the Eastwood film to win Best Picture.

But, I was overjoyed with Scorsese winning. Forget what film he won for, he did deserve it. He also deserved to get the presentors he got to hand him the statue. It was a truly touching moment to see all four friends embrace. When I saw Speilberg, Coppola and Lucas walk out, I knew this year was the perfect time to give him the award.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Walrus on February 26, 2007, 04:09:44 PM
I'm still pretty confused about the lack of any real attention to the Fountain by the Academy Awards.  No noms at all... what the fuck is going on?

I'm not surprised. I was at first, but I mean, no critics liked it, no one really saw it. There is a small portion of people who liked it. It's only on 4 or so critics top 10 list.
WWPTAD?

Derek

The Aviator and The Departed are on par with anything Scorsese has done.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.