PTA is not very food

Started by cinemascope, August 27, 2003, 01:09:42 PM

cinemascope

I know many people here seem to have built little shrines to PTA but really he is not original what so ever.  Maybe he is to those of you who have only seen, for the most part, post 1985 films, his films look arty but really little of it is pure PTA.  Magnolia for example, the stories are pretty much identicle to Shortcuts, a film based on the short stories of Raymond Carver(someone who deserves ten times more praise then PTA, even if he is just a short story writer.)  Also, with regards to his latest movie Punch Drunk Love, many of the shots are identical to some of the shots from movies such as Shoot the Piano Player, Taxi Driver, A Man and A Woman and knowing PTA probably many more.  PTA is a lucky man though, he gets to make movies, and I do find them enjoyable but there needs to be some other forums for really great and important directors like akira kirousawa, aki kaurismaki, Jim Jarmusch, Troffout, Goddard.  Anyways that's what I think, maybe some people agree with me.
"But...Some people call me...the Street Fighter"-Sonny Chiba (Street Fighters Last Revenge)

jokerspath

OK, you win.  He's not good.

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

SoNowThen

Godard
Truffaut

at least try and spell them right

btw, everybody steals from everybody
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

How bout checking out the rest of the board before you start spewing this cliched Tripe?

You're new...so obviously you're forgiven, but seriously, read a little before you post something like this... it's all been discussed.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cinemascopethere needs to be some other forums for really great and important directors like akira kirousawa kurosawa
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=72

Quoteaki kaurismaki
Nothing preventing you from starting your own thread.
http://xixax.com/viewforum.php?f=13

QuoteJim Jarmusch
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=395

QuoteTroffout Truffaut
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=966

QuoteGoddard Godard
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=430
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=339
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

...well, that last one's about Godard and Britney Spears aka Big Muffy
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Find Your Magali

Wait a minute! PTA steals from other directors?!?!

That's IT. I'm OUT of HERE*

*-at least, until I come back at 4 p.m.

filmcritic

Die Stupid, Pointless and Ignorant Thread! Die!!!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

mindfuck

I feel so used and betrayed. How could you PTA? *sniff*

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Well, that's interesting

(equates to)

OH MY GOD YOU DUMB FUCKER!

PTA knows he "riffs" off of other directors, and he does it so that it's enjoyable on a different plane. Completely original movies probably wouldn't even strike your fancy, and look at all the stories movies are based on anyways, and before films were a solid artform, filmmakers stole from books! I could say "Scorcese's not that great" or "Kubrick Sucked" or "Shakespeare? Total Copycat!" all the way down the line to "we stole the idea for the microchip from that one original neanderthal who found out that a rock falling on your toes smarts" until we realize that there's still farther to go! "Humans stole their cell structure from ameobas!"
Oh, well, I guess we better go kill ourselves, we're not that great!

PTA movies are enjoyable to us, and not because we're film posers or we've just heard he's good, we've seen his movies and they make us like them, if that makes any sense! Why the fuck would we sign onto this website, so we can spend our time discussing movies as if they're great and spreading false opinions? Man, you really are a dumb fucker!
I mean, this is an immature thread to start, so get over yourself, rabble-rouser, or maybe continue by going into a church and saying "Jesus wasn't that great. He totally ripped off Zoraster." (look it up, dweeb)

As for Short Cuts, I watched it waiting for all the Magnolia parallels, and found myself reaching for them.
1) Most obvious: Catastrophy ending
3) Obvious:3 hours worth of film
2) Obvious, but 180ยบ character difference: A cop
4) Intersecting storylines (thinner connections in Magnolia)
5) Suicides, one successful (Short Cuts) one not (Magnolia)

So is it really that much of a rip-off?
Good afternoon.

SoNowThen

y'know, something tells me that maybe this newbie is just being sarcastic, and having a good joke at our expense...

we do take our pta love pretty seriously...

cine

Quote from: cinemascopeAlso, with regards to his latest movie Punch Drunk Love, many of the shots are identical to some of the shots from movies such as Shoot the Piano Player, Taxi Driver, A Man and A Woman and knowing PTA probably many more.

...Ever heard of "imitation is the highest form of flattery"?

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: SoNowTheny'know, something tells me that maybe this newbie is just being sarcastic, and having a good joke at our expense...

we do take our pta love pretty seriously...

But then again, maybe this newbie doesn't know he's walked into a den of wolves.... :twisted:

But seriously, this thread is rather pointless.  It's no surprise PTA rips shamelessly from his forefathers; art is derivative so......
        ........whoopy-dee-doooooo! (translation: big fucking deal.)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ravi

How can you not love pita?

rustinglass

cinemascope, you're cool, you've got balls.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica