Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

jenkins

statistically speaking, boy meets girl astonishes me. leos carax was 24, denis lavant was 23, jean-yves escoffier was 34. following hail mary and redenz-vous, juliete binoche joins for the night is young. an early role from julie delpy. and the imdb synopsis is

In Paris in the near future. Aging thieves Marc and Hans owe money to a tough American woman who gives them two weeks to pay. They scheme to steal and sell a new serum for a disease that's killing lovers, but they need someone with quick steady hands. They recruit Alex, a disaffected youth who's breaking up with Lise, his 16-year-old girlfriend. In the few days before the theft, Alex becomes enchanted with Anna, Marc's young mistress. They talk, they play, they sing, but she's in love with Marc. Lise hasn't given up on Alex either, and she comes to Paris on the day of the theft. There are double crosses, a daring rescue, and, for Alex, a waiting plane. Will he make it?

wilder

January 14, 2014

Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66 (1998) on blu-ray from Lionsgate

Buffalo '66 (1998) - Amazon

There's some debate on the blu-ray.com forum about whether or not the Lionsgate disc will be able to match the apparently flawless Japanese blu-ray transfer. Some screencaps from it in this post.

wilder

January 21, 2014

Andrei Tarkovsky's Nostalghia (1983) on blu-ray from Kino

Nostalghia (1983) - Amazon

jenkins

Quote from: jenkins<3 on October 10, 2013, 01:21:04 AM
Quote from: wilder on October 09, 2013, 03:16:58 PM
The Visitor (1979) - January 2014 TBD

coming to la in november

bottom line: easy sell, that's all. many cinematic trinkets and that's interesting what they did with the birds there. it's got cosmos and dirty words and philosophical wizardry, huston and nero jesus and oh idk. for me this movie was sometimes beautiful and/or bizarre and not what i want. people laughed a lot because 1 omfg 2 well that was hilariously mean 3 well, whatever

wilder

January 21, 2014

Paul Verhoeven's Robocop (1987) mastered in 4K

Robocop (1987) 4K Remastered Edition - Amazon

jenkins

night of the comet bluray has been released. the movie has a lot of features i treasure, in genre and tone. it's not an overall great movie imo, but i like it, and i've written about it. the screencaps show that well anyway it's a good bluray release. recommended for the curious

(edit)
i reread my own thing and clicked my own link and today also liked my own old writing about eating raoul. you can see, for many years i've been the person i continue to be. funny enough, i mention pynchon while writing about eating raoul

jenkins

big news imo:

Olivefilms will release Robert Altman's COME BACK TO THE 5 AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN on DVD/Blu-ray in 2014

wilder

^ Nice catch.

April 8, 2014

Billy Wilder's Sabrina (1954) from Warner Bros.

Sabrina (1954) - Amazon

This movie is weird. Humphrey Bogart feels way too old to be playing Audrey Hepburn's love interest, but the movie has beautiful b&w cinematography by Charles Lang.

wilder

Q1 2014 TBD

Sidney Lumet's The Pawnbroker (1964) from Olive Films

wilder

April 15, 2014

Douglas Sirk's Sleep, My Love (1948) from Olive Films

Alison Courtland wakes up in the middle of the night on board a train, but she cannot remember how she got there. Danger and suspense ensue.

Sleep, My Love (1948) - Amazon

wilder

May 2014 TBD

Michelangelo Antonioni's The Vanquished (1953) on blu-ray from Raro Video

Challenging linear narrative by weaving multiple story lines and exploring a directorial style way ahead of his time, director Michelangelo Antonioni's unique triptych film features three murders, one taking place in Paris, another in Rome, and another in London. All of the perpetrators are affluent youths, each killing for dubious motives. In the France segment, a group of adolescents kill for money, even though they don't need it; in the London segment, a poet uncovers a woman's body and tries to profit from the discovery; and in the Italian segment, a student becomes caught up in a smuggling ring, with deadly results. With elements that serve as a precursor to Blowup, Antonioni explores how modern society can produce nihilistic tendencies in the least likely characters.   

wilder

Just discovered that most (all?) of Eric Rohmer's films have been restored for blu-ray and were released in France this past November, all with optional English subtitles.

- La femme de l'aviateur (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le beau mariage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Pauline à la plage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Les nuits de la pleine lune (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le rayon vert (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'ami de mon amie (Blu-ray + DVD)

Eric Rohmer - Comedies et proverbes - Amazon France

- Conte de printemps (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'hiver (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'été (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'automne (Blu-ray + DVD)

Eric Rohmer - Contes des quatres saisons - Amazon France

- La boulangère de Monceau (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La carrière de Suzanne (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La collectionneuse (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Ma nuit chez Maud (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le genou de Claire (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'amour l'après-midi (Blu-ray + DVD)

Eric Rohmer - Contes moraux - Amazon France

- Le signe du lion (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La boulangère de Monceau (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La carrière de Suzanne (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La collectionneuse (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Ma nuit chez Maud (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le genou de Claire (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'amour l'après-midi (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La marquise d'O... (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Perceval le Gallois (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La femme de l'aviateur (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le beau mariage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Pauline à la plage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Les nuits de la pleine lune (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le rayon vert (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'ami de mon amie (Blu-ray + DVD)
- 4 aventures de Reinette et Mirabelle (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte de printemps (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'hiver (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'été (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'automne (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'arbre, le maire et la médiathèque (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Les rendez-vous de Paris (Blu-ray + DVD)

Coffret Rohmer intégral - Amazon France

I love the light and framing in these screencaps included in the DVDBeaver review of Boyfriends and Girlfriends (1987), available in the Comedies et proverbes box set:

...and this IMDB user's comments on this particular movie, which remind me very much of Petzold as well:

Quote from: Ilpo HirvonenEric Rohmer was more than one of the directors who formed the French New Wave. He also wrote a lot of surveys and articles about cinema, especially about his favorite director, F.W. Murnau, out who he wrote his dissertation. His first article that got published in the year 1948 was titled (directly translated:) "Film, art of space." In the year 1962 Eric Rohmer published his academic survey called: "The construction of space in Murnau's Faust." While reading about his surveys and articles, it's no surprise that space in Rohmer's films seems to be as important as the plot.

While trying to figure out the space of My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, I can't miss the futuristic city the characters live in. I got the feeling that Eric Rohmer isn't trying to tell a story of four specific people who live in France. To me he's telling about all the people living in these suburbs of Paris. The space of a futuristic city, the city full of postmodern architecture without any past. This theme of the milieu leads to rootlessness. The people of this city have no past, each of them like to analyze and talk about themselves. But none of them really know who they are.

jenkins

that's a strong component of peter bogdanovich, wes anderson, hong sangsoo, and others who also interact social mechanics with cinematic mechanics. the spaces of places characters inhabit offer vital substances to the connections and distances of the characters involved. cities and boats -- boats remind me of knife in the water, polanski, and the creation of measurable tension. cul-de-sac also. this is a topic i enjoy and is a thing we could essay. glad you brought it up. let's save the thought for future discussion

for now, i especially like rohmer's table shot. it's a summarizing shot of this philosophy

wilder, what's your most treasured rohmer movie? i tend to say pauline at the beach, but i wonder if that's true or if that's just my most thought about. he has so man movies with so many riches!

i discovered several years ago that my life is eric rohmers films.

wilder

I've only seen the stuff included in The Six Moral Tales box set, and I think Claire's Knee, but I remember liking Pauline at the Beach most too back when I when I watched them as a teenager. Rohmer is a director I've been wanting to revisit for a while, I haven't watched any of his films since then. They seemed "good", but markedly different in style than any other director's work I'd seen, and probably a little over my head at that point - I distinctly remember trying to figure out what it was that made them work and specifics eluding me. This makes me want to see them again.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on December 17, 2013, 09:58:05 PM
that's a strong component of peter bogdanovich, wes anderson, hong sangsoo, and others who also interact social mechanics with cinematic mechanics. the spaces of places characters inhabit offer vital substances to the connections and distances of the characters involved.

The environments themselves almost become extensions of the characters, instead of the character's being born of their environments, or the environments and characters are offered equal importance, influencing one another, offering comment and reflection on each other...the space becomes a physical echo, and the surrounding frame is considered as an area of additional visual interest apart from the character's faces alone as if every shot were a kind of 2 shot - one character being an actor, the other being the space itself -- which seems to be the very opposite technique of most movies made now, with so much being shot in close up from "here", "to here" (hand under chin and above head), with a vaguely aesthetically pleasing mush of out-of-focus shapes in the background. Antonioni is the king of this. All pretty obvious.

In general, the importance of character's relationships to the spaces they inhabit seems to be becoming lost, to me one of the most interesting aspects of filmmaking. Even the studio guns for hire of yesteryear seemed to understand this better than most major directors working now. Maybe it's because in life, attention paid to our physical environment sort of "dims" as we engage with all things digital, it's literally becoming less relevant as time goes on.