Inglourious Basterds [sic]

Started by brockly, May 20, 2003, 06:05:39 AM

Stefen

lol. Oh, Quentin. Tone if down, buddy.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

lol he healed a country.  wow i think he can walk on water too.
the one last hit that spent you...

New Feeling

this weekend IB became QT's highest grossing film, domestically. 

©brad

Quote from: New Feeling on September 21, 2009, 12:13:46 AM
this weekend IB became QT's highest grossing film, domestically. 

This amazes me, because I think it's by far his least accessible/crowd-pleasy film. Maybe I underestimate middle America.

I can't say I loved it. A few undeniably incredible scenes (most notably the opening and theater climax) interspersed with unforgivably long, masturbatory sections that didn't add up to anything I would laud as masterpiece. Like some of you I never really got invested in any of the characters. The pacing was totally schizo. And am I the only one here who found it pretty, uh, insensitive? I have to admit I was a little perturbed by the way the audience was cheering during the stabby parts, particularly that last scene. To quote a buddy, it's a potent reminder of what the Obama=Hitler crazies are tapping into.

tpfkabi

Is that figure economy adjusted?

Prices are quite different just from when PF came out.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on September 24, 2009, 03:14:22 PM
Is that figure economy adjusted?

Prices are quite different just from when PF came out.

you mean adjusted for inflation.

i don't think any box office reading given today is adjusted for inflation. no studio wants to admit that their shitty films (like this one) are still making peanuts compared to gone with the wind. the only thing that matters is the number in current american dollars, and the increase in ticket price is the only reason every movie these days seems to break all kinds of records.

the french, and i presume lots of countries outside the US, have a better way of ranking the popularity of films, and that is by attendance. by this method Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is their second biggest domestic release going on number of tickets sold, and it is compared to titanic only on those figures, but also La Grande Vadrouille which is from 1966. the reason for this, i think, is that americans take their box office figure as the standard worldwide.. that is everyone assumes the world knows what US$153million means. but no one would be interested in hearing the number in EUROS.

also the reality of pulp fiction's original release is distorted by its subsequent cultural impact. you feel that millions of ppl watched the film over and over again for 6 years straight cos of the number of imitators.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: :P on September 24, 2009, 08:57:47 PM
the french, and i presume lots of countries outside the US, have a better way of ranking the popularity of films, and that is by attendance.

But do they adjust for inflation of people?

pete

lets not neglect the fact that the universe is constantly expanding.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

Box Office is adjusted for inflation, not the regular numbers you see but the actual statistics. That is why Dark Knight is the second highest grossing film in US history, but if you adjust it for inflation its actually #20 or so.

In terms of attendance, as lame as films are these days, attendance has been up the past few years and there are more theaters open than ever. The overall box office is bigger than it was before even though individual films are less successful, but the reason why that happens is because when Gone with the wind was released there were a few dozen films released per year in theaters, now there are 500.

tpfkabi

Quote from: :P on September 24, 2009, 08:57:47 PM

you mean adjusted for inflation.

That's what They say.

Why?

Because they were told to by Them.

Don't be a Them or They.

Alexandro

What I loved the most about the experience of watching this film was to be shown that Tarantino is back in the business of defying audience expectations. When Jackie Brown came out it was perceived mainly as a let down because he made a character / social comedy piece instead of pulp fiction. and then when the kill bill movies came out, in both instances, detractors for the most part complained about the lack of dialogue first and the lack of action in the latter. death proof is a minor work, but I find it at least amusing each time. Just good old fun. Now he comes with this, and we all were expecting one thing and get another. It is true, not many filmmakers could get away with a film like this, not only because of the politically incorrect point of view, but also because it is, in the end, a completely dialogue driven war film.

It is also true, at least of first viewing, that some of these scenes go on for a little too long, particularly near the end, when you just want to get down to business, but that's the way the film is telling itself. I'm baffled by the box office success, in fact it puts everything else into perspective. How come a nearly three hours movie mainly consisting of long conversations in restaurants and dinners achieve this hit status? It pretty much goes against any assumption made by the studios and analysts about what the PUBLIC wants.

Almost no one here has mentioned or made too much emphasis on the Soshana storyline (except to talk about the Bowie sequence) but that's the best part of the film for me. Her story is the embodiment of Tarantino's love...we could say eternal hard on for cinema. He sees cinema as a literal force of destruction and liberation, and he uses for that purpose both within the movie and outside of it, dismantling the usual notions about what we all should think regarding WWII, the holocaust and Hitler.

There is a lot to say about this film, and to discuss. A lot of ideas. Perhaps this could not be his masterpiece (as he himself claims) or even A masterpiece, but this one is definitely the one with more content and material to analyze and study. To say it is only a cool movie, or a good fun movie is to lovingly dismiss it.

Hope to catch it again real soon.

Alexandro

Also, for all it's cinematic nods and obscure references, to me the most obvious influence is literary. The whole movie feels like reading an Elmore Leonard novel.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Alexandro on October 10, 2009, 11:06:32 PM
Almost no one here has mentioned or made too much emphasis on the Soshana storyline (except to talk about the Bowie sequence) but that's the best part of the film for me. Her story is the embodiment of Tarantino's love...we could say eternal hard on for cinema. He sees cinema as a literal force of destruction and liberation, and he uses for that purpose both within the movie and outside of it, dismantling the usual notions about what we all should think regarding WWII, the holocaust and Hitler.

Basically, how he would have changed WWII with what 'weapons' he has/d at his disposal if he could go back in time.
or
How he could kill one of the most vile people of all time with what he loves*.

Has he spoken about what started off his writing the screenplay - which story came first - as I have not read all his long interviews on IB?

*like Bret Favre being able to throw a football so hard he would puncture Hitler's heart or Bono sing so loud Hitler's head would explode...........now i am reminded of that movie with the robot girl who kills the woman with the basketball. =) (i want to say Deadly Friend).......i guess the analogy doesn't work exactly as there is actual physical violence and fire.

MacGuffin

Inglorious Basterds Coming Home December 15
Source: ComingSoon

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that it will release Quentin Tarantino's summer blockbuster Inglorious Basterds on Blu-ray and DVD December 15th. Here are the full specs:

Cinematic icon and filmmaker Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill Vols. 1 & 2, Pulp Fiction) helms one of the most audaciously inventive, eagerly-anticipated films of the year, Inglourious Basterds, coming to Blu-ray(TM) Hi-Def and DVD on December 15, 2009 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Starring Academy Award® nominee Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Burn After Reading) in an audacious, adrenaline-packed, high-octane World War II revenge fantasy, Inglourious Basterds has been hailed as one of Tarantino's most stylish and entertaining films to date. From its deceptively bucolic opening scenes to its incendiary final moments, Inglourious Basterds delivers a heady combination of fact and fantasy that never fails to surprise. Written and directed by acclaimed filmmaker Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds is available on Two-Disc Blu-ray(TM) Hi-Def, Two-Disc DVD Special Edition, Single-Disc DVD and download to own. Both the Blu-ray(TM) and Two-Disc Special Edition DVD come with a Digital Copy of the film for a limited time only just in time for the holiday season and over 90 minutes of startling and engrossing behind-the-scenes bonus features.

Brad Pitt shines as the bodacious American commander of a lethal team of Jewish-American soldiers known as "The Basterds" - whose exploits in occupied France strike terror in the hearts of the German rank and file and enrage the German High Command. The acclaimed cast also includes Christoph Waltz, who was named Best Actor at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival for his unforgettable performance as a charming but cunning Nazi officer, B.J. Novak ("The Office"), Diane Kruger (National Treasure), Eli Roth (director of Hostel), Melanie Laurent (Paris), and Michael Fassbender (The Bourne Ultimatum).

In addition, notable veteran guest stars including Mike Myers (Austin Powers), Rod Taylor (The Birds), Julie Dreyfus (Kill Bill Vol. 1) and others contribute to this larger-than-life story that mixes pulp and propaganda in Tarantino's inimitable way.

Inglourious Basterds is priced at $39.98 SRP for Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray(TM), $34.98 SRP for Two-Disc Special Edition DVD and $29.98 SRP for Single Disc DVD. Preorder close is November 3, 2009.

BONUS FEATURES

All three editions of Inglourious Basterds include:

* Extended & Alternate Scenes
* Nation's Pride - The film within the film Inglourious Basterds can be seen it its entirety
* Domestic and International Trailers

Both the Two-Disc Special Edition and Blu-ray(TM) also come with:

* Roundtable Discussion with Quentin Tarantino, Brad Pitt and film historian/critic Elvis Mitchell
* The Making of Nation's Pride
* The Original Inglorious Bastards - a salute to the original 1978 film
* A Conversation with veteran actor Rod Taylor
* Rod Taylor on Victoria Bitters, the Australian beer
* Quentin Tarantino's Camera Angel
* Hi Sallys - Gag Reel
* Film Poster Gallery Tour with Elvis Mitchell
* Inglourious Basterds Poster Gallery
* Digital Copy of Inglourious Basterds

In addition to the above features, the Inglourious Basterds Blu-ray(TM) Hi-Def release includes:

* BD-Live(TM)-- Access the BD-Live(TM) Center with your Internet-connected player to download the latest trailers, host a chat with your buddies, upload your own webcam commentary, and more!

SYNOPSIS

In the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus (Melanie Laurent) witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz). Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema.

Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts of retribution. Later known to their enemy as "the Basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of the Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquis, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own. ...

Employing pulp and propaganda in equal measure, Quentin Tarantino's INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS weaves together the infamous, oppressed, real and larger-than-life stories of WWII.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 20, 2009, 11:03:52 AM
* A Conversation with veteran actor Rod Taylor
* Rod Taylor on Victoria Bitters, the Australian beer

(Rod Taylor)