top guitar players

Started by classical gas, October 27, 2003, 08:30:46 PM

classical gas

has anyone read this by rolling stone, or is it in another thread??:

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=1917

top one hundred lists are always usually dumb and rolling stone is run by a bunch of assholes, but just for the matter of debating....duane allman as number 2??  i never listened to the allmann brothers that much, is he really better than robert johnson or clapton?
two other problems....i love jack white and used to love kurt cobain, but numbers 17 and 12, respectively seems a little off.  i love em both, but that's ranking them a little high.  
i could be wrong, but i didn't see the guy from the pixies.  he had a nice style.  if you're going to put the guy from ratm, for style and all, why not the pixies guitar player.
granted, this list is completely catering to the mainstream.  
i know it's such a cliche, but i think jimi hendrix is the greatest guitar player of all time, for this reason: there's guitar players that just bring new sounds and textures to guitar playing (pixies and sonic youth guitar players), who can utilize the guitar really well, and then there are the guys who can just play the fuck out of a guitar, like many blues guys; but jimi was extremely high on both levels.  he did the most for the guitar, is what i'm saying.  although i don't think he could play as fast as stevie, maybe it had to do with their different drugs choices.  i could probably play faster on coke.

Sleuth

I agree with everything here except that I think Tom Morello definitely deserves to be there.

I think Hendrix is the best...but my favorite is Page.
I like to hug dogs

SHAFTR

my question...
where was prince?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

classical gas

i agree with morello being on there too, but why not pixies guy....damn, can't think of his name.  joey something?  joey sant....oh well, i may be way off.

Sleuth

Quote from: classical gasi agree with morello being on there too, but why not pixies guy....damn, can't think of his name.  joey something?  joey sant....oh well, i may be way off.

Santiago

Pixies are awesome, but I don't know if I'd put him in a best guitarist list...
I like to hug dogs

classical gas

thanks, that's what i thought it was.  
but he did (joey santiago) have a new approach, i may be wrong, i don't know the history of rock completely with regards to underground music.  but is the guy from the ramones really better?  i'm not an expert on guitar playing though, i try to play, but i suck.
maybe he wasn't that great, and the pixies are just great as a whole, i need to go back and listen to them again.

Sleuth

It's fun to disagree with the lists, though
I like to hug dogs

classical gas

it is, especially because i hate rolling stone, although i read it all the time.  they just seem to have a mentality in the likes of mtv, as in 'we know what is cool and good' and so on.

aclockworkjj

piff...yeah, joni mitchell is much better than Trey...gimme a break.  

Jerry Garcia is way too high too...he wasn't that good.

#76 rocks though  if you haven't heard any of his stuff...ummm, women.

AK

They put Jack White but forgot Dave Navarro ...that's an unfair world.

Pedro

Quote from: aclockworkjjpiff...yeah, joni mitchell is much better than Trey...gimme a break.  
depends on what you consider greatness, man.  me, id take joni mitchell's work over trey's anyday.

Sleuth

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: aclockworkjjpiff...yeah, joni mitchell is much better than Trey...gimme a break.  
depends on what you consider greatness, man.  me, id take joni mitchell's work over trey's anyday.

True

and I love seeing Eddie Van Halen so low

I thought for sure he'd be way up there
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Johnny Marr. Bernard Butler.

...and I forget if they excluded Mick Ronson, but if they did...  :evil:

Like Rolling Stone knows anything...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

classical gas

Quote from: godardianLike Rolling Stone knows anything...

thank you

classical gas

well, i don't know about a top 100, but my top three are:
jimi hendrix
robert johnson
eric clapton (mostly the stuff he did with other groups, cream, yardbirds, derek and the dominos, etc....his solo stuff is.....eh)

i know it's a pretty obvious list....currently, i like jack white, he fucking rules.  other than that....current music sucks....i need to delve into the underground.  where to start?