Ron Howard

Started by Xixax, January 25, 2003, 07:35:39 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin
Formerly called "The Ride", "The Missing" has been put on the fast track to start shooting in New Mexico in March. "

They should hire somebody to come up with names for movies, these are absolutley terrible, terrible names, they might as well call it "The 3"

MacGuffin

The long-rumored Russell Crowe project CINDERELLA MAN has finally gotten the go-ahead with Universal and Miramax co-producing and Ron Howard directing. The project will mark a reteaming of the men behind Oscar winner A BEAUTIFUL MIND, not only reuniting Crowe and Howard but screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and producer Brian Grazer. The project, about real-life Depression-era boxer Jim Braddock who became a folk hero, has been in development for some time with Ben Affleck once rumored to star for director Billy Bob Thornton. That teaming fell apart and Crowe became attached when Lasse Hallstrom (THE CIDER HOUSE RULES) expressed interest in directing. When scheduling saw increased delays due to Crowe's filming on MASTER AND COMMANDER, Hallstrom walked and Crowe looked to reunite with Howard (who he had hoped to work together on THE ALAMO). Howard is currently prepping his Western THE MISSING and filming on CINDERELLA should begin in November.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quicktime trailer for "The Missing"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

i love it when tommy lee jones is evil!!!!

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Yea, I never liked Ronnie...not in any way, shape, or form...his acting, his directing...not ANY of it. He's pretty much the only now-famous Roger Corman protege that I don't like...I hate that. It's like: Martin Scorsese (yes!), Coppola (cool!), Demme (definitely!)....so on and so on and THEN...Ron Howard!? NOOOOOOO!!! That pisses me off. He totally ruins Corman's good name as far as finding great young filmmaker's goes...it will forever be tainted because of him.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanYea, I never liked Ronnie...not in any way, shape, or form...his acting, his directing...not ANY of it.

Why?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: ebeamanYea, I never liked Ronnie...not in any way, shape, or form...his acting, his directing...not ANY of it.

Why?

I...just...don't. What do ya think about that?  :wink:

Seriously, I don't feel like going to much into it though. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...I hate critiquing movies or filmmakers...whether it be one that I love or one that I hate. I'm just awful at putting my thoughts into words. I'll give you my opinion in short form but I'm just very bad at backing it up...admittedly at least. I guess maybe if the person in question was sitting next to me watching A Beautiful Mind or Apollo 13, I could probably tell them a few things and a few reasons...but just typing, it's hard for me to think...especially cause I'm trying to reminisce (sp?) about movies that I didn't like...movies that were very forgettable to me. Maybe I am a little better at illustrating my love for a movie or filmmaker rather than my hate...maybe, I don't know. This all makes sense to me. I never said I was a critic.

I guess I just think his movies aren't good. It's not that they aren't my cup of tea or anything...and maybe it's not even exclusively about his directing...but I hated Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind. I thought they were often boring, unfunny when they tried to be funny, they just sucked...I'm going to stop getting into why while I can. Cause I realize whatever I say, it's not going to matter...I'll still be encouraged to like Ron Howard or I'll still be argued with about his talent. But I'm always going to hate the movies of his that I have seen at this point...I'm very sorry. I guess I don't HATE his movies and he seems like a decent guy in real life...but keep me away from his movies...directed by or starring.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanI'm just awful at putting my thoughts into words.

Good luck being a screenwriter.

I really couldn't care less if you like him or not, and I wasn't about to get a debate about it and turn you to the Dark Side. It's just you expressed your hatred without reason. I just want to understand why Ron Howard gets a bad rap.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: ebeamanI'm just awful at putting my thoughts into words.

Good luck being a screenwriter.

You completely misunderstood man. Let me rephrase: I am just awful at putting my opinions of other movies (other than my movies) into words...I wasn't specific enough, sorry. I can put MY visions and thoughts into other words...it's a completely different process. Cause it's ME, it's more personal. It's in MY head. That is much easier for me to do.

Let me try this again...you wanna know why people rag on him? Ok, let me give this a shot...name one thing that Ron Howard has brought to the table...one hint of originality in any of his movies...he hasn't done anything. His movies have a very basic, cliche dramatic structure in my eyes. It seems he has never fled from that, he refuses to use anything else. This is not the end of the world as movies with an unoriginal structure can be fucking GREAT (Boogie Nights for example)...but he can never get past it. He doesn't do anything special with it...he doesn't mix it up at all. There is nothing. It is so plain to me...I don't know. I probably can't do better...but there are many that can and have...even filmmakers MUCH younger than him.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeamanname one thing that Ron Howard has brought to the table...one hint of originality in any of his movies

Wasn't he the first person to make a serious movie about little people?

Ernie

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: ebeamanname one thing that Ron Howard has brought to the table...one hint of originality in any of his movies

Wasn't he the first person to make a serious movie about little people?

He may very well be...I'll give you that, sure. This is a very good example of what I was looking for actually, even if you were joking. I'm not saying the man has to reinvent cinema a la Kubrick or Godard and go crazy...I'm just saying he has to have SOMETHING that others don't...I won't let him get by being THAT disposable...I'm just not that easy to please. But I will give you this. It's a little less than enough but...it's there.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeamanThis is a very good example of what I was looking for actually, even if you were joking.

Well, I guess Willow was technically George Lucas' project... a pseudo ewok sequel...

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanI'm just saying he has to have SOMETHING that others don't.
He does:

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

he's ok.

there's nothing wrong with entertainment, if that's what he wants to do, and he does it well, what's the problem? ebeaman's talking like he makes bad despicable movies, fluff maybe, pandering to what the public will like. but what do u expect? he grew up on tv, his business instinct is to survive and make the ppl happy, it's a big enuff achievement that he's still working and not a has-been child star.

a big sheesh to all of u.
under the paving stones.