Pacific Rim

Started by MacGuffin, December 12, 2012, 07:52:15 PM

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 16, 2013, 04:57:33 PM
New Trailer

Have they ever explained yet why the robots need two pilots inside making the same movements simultaneously? I mean, I know the real reason, they need the actors to be able to explain what's going on to each other and thus the audience, but has anybody stated what the in-story rationalization is for it?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

Something along the lines of:
"Del Toro gave explanations about piloting: two pilots are in a cockpit in the head of the robot. Each pilot controls one hemisphere (neural complexity is too strong for only one pilot). Pilot's souvenirs (?) merge during sync phase. GDT confirmed that he will show what happens if one of the two pilots is not able to control the Jaeger. Most of the time, pilots are siblings (father/son, brothers, husband/wife), due to the mental harmony required to pilot."

Edited roughly.

Stefen

I'm sure there will be a loose cannon type who plays by their own rules but then has to learn to work together to be successful.

Also the young scrappy one who always gets left out of the big missions depite their pleas of, "I can do it if you'd just give me a chance!"

They'll probably work together to save the planet.

There will also be a scene of a character not living up to their deceased father, who was "one of the best to ever do it." Then he will.

Good movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Lottery

Quote from: S.R. on May 17, 2013, 10:37:06 AM
I'm sure there will be a loose cannon type who plays by their own rules but then has to learn to work together to be successful.

Also the young scrappy one who always gets left out of the big missions depite their pleas of, "I can do it if you'd just give me a chance!"

This much is actually true it seems.

Ravi

Atlantic Rim, anyone?

Pubrick

hahaha ravi how do you always have a direct line to all the cheap knock offs that get released? are you the one selling them?

also, is this why scripts and plot points etc are always kept so tightly guarded? this is just ridiculous.

i'm surprised Toby Jones isn't in it.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on May 21, 2013, 08:41:28 AM
hahaha ravi how do you always have a direct line to all the cheap knock offs that get released? are you the one selling them?

I'd answer that, but I have to edit my next film, "Dem Bodies, Ain't They Saints?"

I find these knock-offs fascinating. The Asylum is semi-famous for them (they're the Transmorphers people), and a few companies do Pixar knock-offs. I saw Atlantic Rim on another forum.

Lottery

Related to the 2-pilot-memory thing.

jenkins

saw this tonight in a very los angeles way. del toro spoke after it and i saw all kinds of people. that's just how it goes around here, no bullet points about it

i think it's funny that he stated "i made this movie for children and i made this for the eleven year old me" and he's gone on and on forever and ever about his fascination with fantasy as a historical narrative, and everyone in this thread is like "i'm so much fucking smarter than eleven year old kids, pfsh"

not far off -- already this thread isn't too far off. the asian isn't a spectator alone, there's a fusion of modern neural science and madeup shit for movies (del toro said something like "science is silly," looked at the audience and no one did anything, then turned back to the q&a and elaborated that science wouldn't make sense in this fantasy, and no one in the audience did anything), the people learn how to work together to operate giant robots and destroy big ol' monsters, and the deceased father guess is pretty good but slightly jumbled

why did i address these things? because, yeah, you saw what was coming. that came. i never guessed i'd see so many battles between robots and monsters. i saw so many! and a lot of times the movie was beautiful

a thing that confuses me with mainstream moviemakers (i suspect a dictation through the business environment)(?), is the idea that "it's amazing enough if i move this camera -- check out how these people are walking BUT WAIT i'll move the camera." i think del toro has art to him, and i don't think anyone can't remember that a camera can move

Lottery

This movie was fun and awesome.

Alexandro

After seeing this film mentioned a couple of times in the best of the year thread, I was reminded that I've been wanting to see it since june. But it was just a letdown to me. Couldn't care less about what was going on. Terrible lead. Kept feeling sorry for Idris Elba. He would have been a great Django, and now he's doing this. This is a terrific actor.

Too noisy, i felt numbed by the noise about five minutes in. Yes, a lot of love is poured into it by Del Toro, but well, not my cup of tea. It actually bored me to sleep.

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on May 17, 2013, 10:37:06 AM

They'll probably work together to save the planet.

There will also be a scene of a character not living up to their deceased father, who was "one of the best to ever do it." Then he will.

Good movie.

If you know how and when I die, don't tell me.
My house, my rules, my coffee