my photos

Started by xerxes, March 26, 2008, 05:33:30 AM

xerxes

There have been quite a few photo threads here so I thought I try my hand at one. I don't consider myself much of a photographer, but I've been making a concerted effort to get better over the last year or so and I'd love to hear what you guys here think.

These are the last three photos I've uploaded.

The rest can be found on my flickr page here.

Gamblour.

Really great. I'm sure that first one is just a derelict building, but you make it look like WWII, pretty cool.
WWPTAD?

xerxes

Thanks Gamblour. That building is actually the Atomic Bomb Dome in Hiroshima, so I guess, technically it is from WWII. But that was sort of what I was going for, so thank you.

Anyway, here are a couple photos I've been working on. I'm not sure if they're exactly how I want them, but here they are.

here are some older ones.

xerxes

Chest Rockwell

On the xixax board it's REALLY nice seeing some shots with a good eye for color. Your monochrome shots are fine and all, but unless it's necessary for the shot you wanted definitely just stick with color. I've always found the idea that B&W is somehow more "raw" or "Realistic" to be rather gimmicky.

xerxes

Thanks for the comments Chest. I can see what you mean about how B&W can be gimmicky. I haven't really done too much B&W at all because honestly I don't think I really know the best way to utilize it. It is something I'd like to learn more about though.

Anyway, here's a shot from a recent trip to Bodega Bay. Nothing special but i like it.

matt35mm

You're definitely improving all the time.  It's been fun to trace your progress from your earlier photos to these more recent ones.

I especially like the Cambodian children and the dog.  I'm just a sucker for Cambodian children and dog pictures!

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: xerxes on April 01, 2008, 04:59:57 AM
Thanks for the comments Chest. I can see what you mean about how B&W can be gimmicky. I haven't really done too much B&W at all because honestly I don't think I really know the best way to utilize it. It is something I'd like to learn more about though.

Anyway, here's a shot from a recent trip to Bodega Bay. Nothing special but i like it.

It's hard to really get a good look at it because it's so small! Maybe you should just post the larger images (if they're jpegs it shouldn't make that much of a difference, anyway) as a thumbnail if you don't like dumping large image files in the thread.

As far as the shot itself goes, it looks like it suffered a lot of vignetting (the drop off in light as you move away from the center), I'm going to guess because your lens was opened up at the widest aperture or you were using a zoom lens at widest focal length. Just something to be aware of.

xerxes

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll post bigger sizes in the future when I put stuff up, but if you want to see bigger sizes of any of the stuff posted already you can check the link to my flick page.

As far as the vignetting goes, it doesn't really bother me in this shot, and I often like the effect that it has. Maybe I'm in the minority  there though.

xerxes

Here are a few photos I've been working on recently.