Noah Baumbach

Started by MacGuffin, May 19, 2008, 01:08:10 PM

MacGuffin

Rudin, Baumbach team for 'Greenburg'
Mark Ruffalo and Amy Adams to star
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- Mark Ruffalo and Amy Adams are attached to star in writer-director Noah Baumbach's next feature, "Greenburg," for producer Scott Rudin.

Plot details are under wraps for the film, which is said to be a relationship comedy-drama. UTA is shopping the project in Cannes and financing is currently being assembled. While no timetable is set for principal photography, Rudin is aiming to shoot later this year.

Rudin produced "Margot at the Wedding," Baumbach's 2007 follow-up to his breakthrough drama "The Squid and the Whale."

Adams is now shooting another Rudin project, Columbia's "Julie and Julia," and is set to wrap "Night at the Museum 2: Escape from the Smithsonian" by this fall. Ruffalo is filming Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" for Paramount.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ben Stiller on road to 'Greenburg'
To replace Mark Ruffalo in Noah Baumbach's feature

Ben Stiller is set to replace Mark Ruffalo in "Greenburg," a comedy-drama Noah Baumbach is writing and directing.

Scott Rudin is producing the project, whose logline is being kept under wraps but which is expected to center on the intimacies of relationships in the manner of Baumbach's other films.

Amy Adams was set to star opposite Ruffalo, but she, too, is said to have fallen off; talks are being held with a number of other actresses.

"Greenburg" is being shopped to several specialty divisions, with Focus one of the companies discussing a potential financing and distribution role.

The Stiller move would mark a turn toward drama for the actor, who has also discussed helming "The Trials of the Chicago 7" for DreamWorks.

Baumbach, who was nominated for an Oscar for "The Squid and the Whale," also is attached to write 9/11 tale "The Emperor's Children" for Universal; he recently directed the family drama "Margot at the Wedding" and also penned the screenplay for Wes Anderson's upcoming "The Fantastic Mr. Fox."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Greta Gerwig joins Baumbach's 'Greenberg'
Relationship dramedy also stars Ben Stiller

Greta Gerwig is getting into "Greenberg."

The indie star has landed the lead role opposite Ben Stiller in the latest Noah Baumbach relationship dramedy.

Baumbach, best known for the Oscar-nominated intergenerational divorce saga "The Squid and the Whale," is writing and directing the film. The project's logline is being kept under wraps, but it is expected to be set in L.A. and center on relationship intimacies in the manner of past Baumbach pictures.

Scott Rudin will produce "Greenberg" and Focus Features will finance and distribute; the specialty division had been in talks to board the project. Shooting is expected to begin in March, with Stiller officially on board.

Gerwig, repped by UTA and managers Dallas Sonnier and Jack Heller, is known for a host of indie movies, including the Duplass brothers' genre spoof "Baghead" and the offbeat relationship tale "Hannah Takes the Stairs," which she co-wrote.

Gerwig is affiliated with the loose movement of verite filmmaking known as mumblecore.

Baumbach is on board to write and direct the 9/11 tale "The Emperor's Children," based on Claire Messud's acclaimed novel, at Universal. He also co-wrote animated parable "Fantastic Mr. Fox," which Wes Anderson is directing for Fox.

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Awesome for Greta!  I could very-much see her in a Baumbach film.

MacGuffin

Trio added to Ben Stiller film
Ifans, Larson, Temple join 'Greenberg'
Source: Variety

HOLLYWOOD -- Director Noah Baumbach has set a trio of thesps to star alongside Ben Stiller in the dramedy "Greenberg" for Focus Features.

Rhys Ifans, Brie Larson and Juno Temple have joined the pic, which Scott Rudin is producing.

Penned by Baumbach, story centers on a New Yorker (Stiller) who moves to Los Angeles to housesit for his brother and figure out his life. He ends up having a relationship with his brother's assistant (Greta Gerwig).

Ifans will play Stiller's best friend, who is going through a divorce. Larson will play Stiller's college-age temptation, and Temple will portray her buddy.

Shooting will begin later this month.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Can it get any better than this? Well, maybe if there was a heavy rewrite done by David Lynch...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Bethie

Kicking and Screaming is in my top five favs. I re-watched it the other night with a friend and he asked me "is this all the movie is?" I'm like, wait a minute, "what do you mean?" "four guys sitting around whining. its not that good" I told him "there's nothing wrong with this film at all, it's you."

haha i talked about it with a different friend the night after and he's like, "he didn't like Kicking and Screaming...? the Will Ferrell one, right?" and we ordered a shot and did a cheers to summer, and I'm like "What I used to able to pass off as a bad summer could now potentially turn into a bad life"
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Noah Baumbach to Direct The Emperor's Children
Source: ComingSoon

Noah Baumbach (Greenberg) will direct The Emperor's Children from his own script for Imagine Entertainment, reports The Wrap. Ron Howard, who was previously attached to direct, will produce with partner Brian Grazer.

Keira Knightley, Eric Bana and Richard Gere are attached to star. Filming on the dramedy would start this summer.

The film is based on Claire Messud's 2006 best-selling novel, which is described as follows:

The Emperor's Children is a dazzling, masterful novel about the intersections in the lives of three friends, now on the cusp of their thirties, making their way—and not—in New York City.

There is beautiful, sophisticated Marina Thwaite—an "It" girl finishing her first book; the daughter of Murray Thwaite, celebrated intellectual and journalist—and her two closest friends from Brown, Danielle, a quietly appealing television producer, and Julius, a cash-strapped freelance critic. The delicious complications that arise among them become dangerous when Murray's nephew, Frederick "Bootie" Tubb, an idealistic college dropout determined to make his mark, comes to town. As the skies darken, it is Bootie's unexpected decisions—and their stunning, heartbreaking outcome—that will change each of their lives forever.

A richly drawn, brilliantly observed novel of fate and fortune—of innocence and experience, seduction and self-invention; of ambition, including literary ambition; of glamour, disaster, and promise—The Emperor's Children is a tour de force that brings to life a city, a generation, and the way we live in this moment.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Baumbach, Stiller may reteam on 'Penguins'
'Greenberg' duo in talks for Fox's adaptation of children's book
Source: Variety

Filmmaker Noah Baumbach and Ben Stiller are mulling whether to get into the penguin business.

Baumbach is in talks to direct Stiller in 20th Century Fox's "Mr. Popper's Penguins," based on the beloved 1938 children's book. Stiller also is in talks at this point; no deal has been made.

John Davis is producing through his Davis Entertainment production company.

"Mr. Popper" would mark the first kiddie pic Baumbach has directed. The filmmaker did, however, co-write the screenplay for Wes Anderon's family toon "Fantastic Mr. Fox," which Fox released last year.

"Mr. Popper" would pair would pair Stiller and Baumbach for the second time; they are currently in theaters with Focus Features' "Greenberg," which Baumbach directed and Stiller toplines.

Fox acquired screen rights to "Mr. Popper" a year ago, setting scribes Sean Anders and John Morris to write the adapted screenplay.

"Mr. Popper" is the tale of a house painter whose dreams of Arctic exploration prompt him to write letters to real explorers. One of them sends him a penguin, which he keeps in an icebox. Soon, Mr. Popper receives a female penguin from a zoo and before he knows it, he has a litter of 12 beaked birds.

When the penguins start to eat him out of house and home, Mr. Popper forms Popper's Performing Penguins, a stage act that goes on tour and causes mayhem at every stop.

The book, written by Richard and Florence Atwater, won the 1939 Newbery Award and has been taught in many elementary school classrooms.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Baumbach is batting a thousand in my book. I watched Margot at the wedding today and its way more funny and compelling than I'd expect it to be. Since he hasn't disappointed me yet, I place him amongst my favorite writer-directors. The only one I'm unsure about is Kicking and Screaming. I've yet to complete it because it pretty much bored me the first time, I'll give it another whirl to see if it holds up with the others.

Stefen

I feel like a jerk because I kind of think he sucks and according to my friends, I'm an idiot who doesn't get him. Haven't really dug any of his films. Recently watched Squid and the Whale again and liked it initially, but as it festered in my brain, it ended up just pissing me off.

He knows white people, I'll give him that.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen on November 09, 2010, 08:56:42 PM
He knows white people, I'll give him that.

hahaha i almost wish he had a directors forum just so i could put that in the subheading.

(not that it would get any less action than the dozen we just created)
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Ben Stiller, James Franco Eye Roles in Noah Baumbach's 'While We're Young'
Source: THR

Ben Stiller and James Franco may be teaming up for Noah Baumbach's latest project, While We're Young.

The actors are in whispered talks along with Cate Blanchett to be involved with the dramatic comedy, which Baumbach and producer Scott Rudin are packaging before taking out to buyers. The project is at such an early stage that any actor's involvement is tenuous, caution sources.

The original script, by Baumbach, is described as being more accessible and more commercial then Baumbach's previous movie, Greenberg (which also starred Stiller). The story centers on a free-spirited couple who have an impact on a documentarian and his wife, getting the latter duo to loosen up.

It's the second original project to which Rudin is in the midst of attaching; the producer is talking to Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and several others to star in Moon Rise Kingdom, the new original project from Wes Anderson.

The project is one of the few to which Franco has boarded since garnering universal acclaim for his performance in 127 Hours. Stiller, meanwhile, is shooting Universal's comedy Tower Heist.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

I just watched 'Kicking and Screaming,' man was that dull, stupid, boring, and pointless. Definitely my least favorite. So he's no longer batting 1,000. I haven't seen 'Highball' or 'Mr. Jealousy' either. Ehh fuck it, they probably suck too. All of his other films get a big  :yabbse-thumbup: from me, though. I think he's great now.

MacGuffin

Jesse Eisenberg & Naomi Watts Circle Noah Baumbach's 'While We're Young'
Source: The Playlist

It's been a bit of a casting revolving door for Noah Baumbach's next effort "While We're Young." Last year, Ben Stiller, Gerta Gerwig and James Franco were all set to team on the film. Then, shortly after that was announced, Gerwig left and Cate Blanchett joined, only for both the actress and Franco to ultimately drop out this spring. Well, Stiller has stuck by his "Greenberg" director thus far and now two more very promising faces are said to be circling the project. 24 Frames reports that Baumbach's "The Squid And The Whale" star Jesse Eisenberg and Naomi Watts (whose best bud Nicole Kidman starred in "Margot At The Wedding") are both in talks to join the film. The plot follows a Brooklynite twenty-something couple who inspire an older, uptight documentarian and his wife to loosen up; comic mishaps ensue. Stiller and Watts would play the older duo, while Eisenberg and a yet-to-be-cast actress would play the younger half. No word yet on when this would shoot but presumably it would have to wait until the fall when Eisenberg is back from Italy where he'll be shooting Woody Allen's "Bop Decameron" this summer. But both Stiller and Watts have open and a bit more flexible calendars at the moment. So, Baumbach reteaming with Stiller and Eisenberg and bringing Watts into the fold? Yes, please. Say what you will about the previous iteration of the casting, but this is just as strong, if not better. Let's hope this comes together and sticks.

Skeleton FilmWorks