One of my first productions : Happy Anniversary (critique appreciated)

Started by ProgWRX, July 18, 2006, 06:03:30 PM

ProgWRX

I co-produced this with a friend of mine, who also wrote and directed it.

We literally had zero budget and this was done with a group of friends and family members as crew. We shot everything in a single day, with some of the "day" shots actually shot at night.

We've done like two other short films but they have yet to be subtitled, and theyre in spanish so i havent posted them. On this one there is no dialogue, so i decided to go with this one first.

Comments and critique is welcome and appreciated.
-Carlos

ProgWRX

-Carlos

pete

the actor was not very interesting.  I feel like someone with a good interesting face could've made this much better.  I didn't like how he shakes his head to everything, it's too obvious and fake, same with the smiling and smirking and whatnot.  the premise is interesting, but experience wasn't, I didn't feel like any of his daily routines was very cinematic.  I don't mind watching something that others may feel too long, but this one is too long.  most of his mundane activities could've been cut out.  there's no tension in any of his actions.  the punchline was weak, since the set up took too long.  it could've been a good mystery, with a premise like that.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

RegularKarate

Quote from: pozeR on July 26, 2006, 02:04:19 PM
c'mon, don't hold back.  tell him what you really think.

I don't think he was being over-critical, I think he was being honest... and not in a shitty way (as shitty as he can be at times).

edit: by "shitty", I just mean his often oddly grumpy reactions to certain things... not shitty as a person... I should have been more shitty about that... shit

ProgWRX

yeah i absolutely appreciate his honest imput. That is what i look for, rather than "hey man its cool" type responses.  :yabbse-thumbup:  I realize what you mean about the "actor" , sadly he isnt an actor at all, just a friend who was willing to be on it.

-Carlos

Pozer

i usually do pretty well with my friends acting in my shorts (pretty much all i use are friends).  and i never take the credit for that, it's something about using friends i've been tight with forever and them seriously committing to doing one of my little projects.  they suprise me, and i love how enthusiastic they get about it.

ProgWRX

oh i definately enjoy workinh with friends, i just wanted to be fair and let him know that the guy isnt an "actor"  :yabbse-undecided:
-Carlos