auto focus

Started by snaporaz, March 18, 2003, 11:02:10 PM

snaporaz

so, who saw this movie?

it was never released where i live, but i've been following this movie since before it was even released. paul schrader is the shit and bob crane's a motherfucker.

so anyways, today was the big day i had waited months for - it's video release. stopped by wal-mart and picked it up for twenty-one bucks, paid with nothing but one-dollar bills.

anyways, i'm gonna down a couple dozen beers and watch the movie for the first time right now. be back later.

auto focus

Duck Sauce

Why would you buy it before seeing it? Why not rent it? Or did you just have the $$ to spend?

Anyways, I will probably pick it up in the next couple weeks to rent when I dont have a netflix. Let us know how it turns out.

life_boy

I'm also excited about it being on DVD now.  It never came to my neck of the woods and so now it's in my Netflix queue.  I've heard good things and I like Dafoe and Schrader.  Kinnear can be real good sometimes (and this just might be one of those times).

snaporaz

Quote from: Duck SauceWhy would you buy it before seeing it? Why not rent it? Or did you just have the $$ to spend?

well, i just had that feeling that it would be worth owning. it just seemed hip, fun, acoustic, and fascinating. and it was.

Quote from: life_boyKinnear can be real good sometimes (and this just might be one of those times).

you know, kinnear always kind of annoyed me for some reason. i always thought i was a dipshit for paying to see dear god several years ago [and i still am], but greg was fucking awesome as crane. a completely funny, relentless, & pitiful prick.

auto focus is a great movie. just right outside of best-of-the-year material.

bonanzataz

I hated this fucking movie. I thought it was exploitative and mean spirited. There were hardly any redeeming points of the film and I cared for none of the shallow, annoying characters. It was posing as some stylish, wacky movie with clever dialogue and fun characters, but it was just a piece of shit. It wasn't even depressing in the good way (depressing in the good way would be something like Requiem or Dancer in the Dark or even Magnolia. Something where you feel actual emotion for the characters). How anybody likes this movie, I don't know.

SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW ABOUT BOB CRANE'S LIFE
By the last 45 minutes, I was so bored by it that I couldn't wait until Crane would get killed.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

Ernie

I just rented it recently, I haven't watched the whole thing yet. I guess it's alright so far. I just can't help but compare it to Raging Bull and Taxi Driver though, with Paul Schrader being the writer/director. I wanted it to be as great as those are. The poster is so fucking cool.

MacGuffin

I enjoyed it. Wish it could have gone a bit seedier and developed the characters more though.

Related: the director and writer/producer commentary tracks are excellent. The downside being that, due to DVD space, the latter track is cut short half-way through the film. But for that hour, it's a must listen for screenwriters for fascinating ancedotes and inspiration (the producers being the writers of Ed Wood, Man On The Moon and The People Vs. Larry Flynt). Haven't listened to the actors track yet.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

too bad i couldn't listen to those as i put that disc in the mailbox as fast as i could.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls