Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!

Started by MacGuffin, October 01, 2014, 02:10:50 PM

N

Quote from: Axolotl on January 25, 2015, 12:51:19 AM
She's not a ghost. I don't think anyone believes that she's a literal booooo ku klux klan hood type ghost. It's not a puzzle movie. Calling her a ghost is just one of the ways to express a specific type of cinematic irreality that's all over this movie which I think is a natural progression from the Master(it's like calling that theater dream phone call telepathy). It's one of those things that are ok to do in literature but when you do in movies people take issue with because they're so used to movies being externally explainable and logical.

Agreed! I couldn't have said it better myself, or at all actually. I know because I tried yesterday and it was so awful I had to delete it. So I'll add a few of my feelings here instead.
So Shasta's gone but not gone and not in a literal sense. It's something that's a part of Inherent Vice. Like the movie Inherent Vice but it's also part of Doc's inherent vice. Like his disposition. As I believe we've established, there's no Inception, that was no dream, change the entire meaning of the narrative malarkey going on here. I think Paul did a similar sort of thing with The Master, in regards to using ambiguity as a means for expressing both sides of the coin. Throughout the movie we're thrown snippets of this brotherhood and love between Freddie and Master that appears to transcend the realm of ordinary human connection. Like something strong and real that's more than the sum of it's parts and at the same time, to me, feels so fragile because all we have to go on is that the characters believe it and care for it. There's always the looming possibility or "reality" that tells us we're probably just watching two humans and their dreams. So when it comes to it's climax, near the end, the connection between the two feels so meaningful that it's not necessary or even wanted to differentiate between reality and irreality or surreality or any kind of permutation on reality. It's cinema and I wouldn't have it any other way. This goes for Inherent Vice, this post is still partially about Inherent Vice. Actually it's not. I made a post about The Master in the Inherent Vice thread. Sorry about that.

N

Quote from: Larry on February 02, 2015, 04:20:42 PM
its not tearing up the box office just yet   :yabbse-sad: polarized reactions from my friends that have seen the film,,,,give it time...

I don't expect IV is going to blow up in a big way any time soon. I'd say it's already blown up in the circles that would be interested in it, like this place, most of us are into it. I wouldn't be surprised if people start to revisit the film after some time has passed, it took until after Kubrick's death for people to really start taking an obsessive interest, would be cool if the same thing happened with PTA, hopefully not post-mortem though.

modage

Yeah, it's done. Wide-release topped out at 653 screens. It's now down to 244 screens and only 7.5m. Would imagine it won't get very close to The Master's $16m, prob end up with $10-12m?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=inherentvice.htm
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

The script was on ebay. Care to guess how much it sold for?

Would really like to get a hold of some version of this. No-one seen it available anywhere?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

You download the App Weekend Read, it has an Award Section with the IV script.
Ascension.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

That's great. I read the script and was surprised at how closely it tracks with the film. Even little moments that I thought for sure were part of the improvised madness were scripted exactly.

The biggest difference is basically just more dialogue and more narration which was trimmed down (including the closing passage in the book which would've stepped all over Doc & Shasta's nice final scene).

The only real deleted scenes of interest are two big ones: Doc walks into his office to find Tariq and Clancy fucking and then goes out to a Thomas Jefferson diner where he hallucinates having a conversation with the ex-prez while the other two are in the bathroom.

And the other one is Doc's PCP hallucination near the end, he imagines another version of himself that he speaks to as well as a personification of the Golden Fang who does some rather on-the-nose explaining of what it signifies.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ulivija

Is "Well Mornin' Sam" (in Sortilege's introduction of Bigfoot) a reference to some TV show? I think that line can be heard at one point on Doc's TV in the background. Thanks!

Sortilège: [narrating] Well Mornin' Sam, like a bad luck planet in today's horoscope, here's the old hippie-hating mad dog himself in the flesh: Lieutenant Detective Christian F. "Bigfoot" Bjornsen. SAG member, John Wayne walk, flat top of Flintstone proportions and that evil, little shit-twinkle in his eye that says Civil Rights Violations.

wilder

putneyswipe

Quote from: Ulivija on February 13, 2015, 01:39:21 PM
Is "Well Mornin' Sam" (in Sortilege's introduction of Bigfoot) a reference to some TV show? I think that line can be heard at one point on Doc's TV in the background. Thanks!

Sortilège: [narrating] Well Mornin' Sam, like a bad luck planet in today's horoscope, here's the old hippie-hating mad dog himself in the flesh: Lieutenant Detective Christian F. "Bigfoot" Bjornsen. SAG member, John Wayne walk, flat top of Flintstone proportions and that evil, little shit-twinkle in his eye that says Civil Rights Violations.

maybe it's this

Ulivija

Thank you, sir! You are the Master.

"Mornin' Sam" audio cue comes right after Aunt Reet says she has major eyeliner issues, and before Bigfoot's ad for Channel View Estates.

I guess Doc watching Ralph and Sam is the equivalent of Freddie watching Casper the friendly ghost.

Somebody with Wikipedia connections should add this to the pop culture references for the Ralph and Sam entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wolf_and_Sam_Sheepdog

Drenk

You should read Poetics, of course. The writers etablishing it as The Rule always make me laugh, though.
Ascension.

Korova

Eel Trovatore... hahahha... Gotta hand it to Pynchon, he is the master of puns.
Btw, I just saw that opera in Munich. It's definitely not Verdi's masterpiece, but there is some gorgeousness to find in there. For example this:

:bravo:

modage

Quote from: Drenk on March 02, 2015, 02:21:09 AM
It's directly on iTunes, you scroll down on the IV page and, if you've bought the movie, you can click on iTunes extras. And watch them.

Moving to Spoiler thread...

That's great. Looks like there's 3 previously unreleased presumably PTA-cut trailers & a "Back Beyond"-style nearly 6 min compilation of deleted scenes.

Both the trailers and the deleted scenes have more dialogue, alt. versions, cut scenes. Pretty cool. Most interesting of which is Club Asiatique scene as well as the Tariq/Clancy stuff.

And who's the dude with white hair? Either Doc's dad or maybe Fritz?

Keeping track of all this shit here:
http://modage.tumblr.com/post/112509993206/the-deleted-scenes-alternate-takes-of-inherent

Something Spanish

probably thomas jefferson hallucination.