Guerilla Filmmaking

Started by Spike, October 12, 2003, 04:44:52 AM

Spike

Can anyody explain what Guerilla Filmmaking actually is?
Are there rules for it? Is it something like the Dogma-rules?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

kotte

Shoot withour permits...steal shots...minimum crew...often really lowbudget (doesn't have to be though)...

These are not rules like Dogme has rules...it's not the same thing.

Newtron

First you must kill el presidente.

Cecil

watch "cecil b. demented"

listen to the commentary track on "maniac"

Redlum

Yes, see Cecil B Demented.
"Hey, hey M-P-A-A, how many movies did you cut today."

This books pretty usefl from the Guerilla aspect of things, if you're that interested.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0879305754/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-0932472-6007062
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Cecil

Quote from: ®edlumcut

actually, its "censor" which is much more appropriate

mutinyco

If you gave 100 gorillas a movie camera odds suggest one of them should be able to make a movie like Orson Welles.

Wait a second...gorilla...guerilla...oh never mind...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoIf you gave 100 gorillas a movie camera odds suggest one of them should be able to make a movie like Orson Welles.

Wait a second...gorilla...guerilla...oh never mind...

Hehehe, Muty's best post ever.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Stefen

Guerilla Filmmaking is just rocking a camera and crew like a video game. In and out, worrying more about getting busted without a permit than you are about checking lighting. Using that bar brawl you caught on camera as the basis of your whole film when 1/4th of the film has already been shot. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

prophet

whats gonna happen if you get caught without a permit?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

kotte

Quote from: prophetwhats gonna happen if you get caught without a permit?

Depends...on the size of your crew and equipment and how good an anus licker you are. If it's just you, a couple of actors and like one or two team members I don't think the police would do much...probably just ask you to leave...or they could fine you. I'm sure if the Spider-man 2 crew was caught without a permit they'd get fined :)

pete

yeah guerilla filmmaking as a term has been cheapened by a bit.  It was first used to describe them persecuted filmmakers in Russia making political films critical of the regime, with no backing whatsoever, so they must just go out in the streets and do their shit before the police catches on.  Now like anyone can just claim to be a guerilla filmmaker--like jane goodall goes into the jungle with a camera and all of a sudden she's made a guerilla film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Quote from: peteNow like anyone can just claim to be a guerilla filmmaker--like jane goodall goes into the jungle with a camera and all of a sudden she's made a guerilla film.
No, if Jane Goodall goes into the jungle with a camera, most likely, she's made a gorilla film.  Oh!

(Not to beat a dead gorilla or anything.)

pete

whoa, you (possibly) got my pun.  Have a gorilla bar.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton