Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

Quote from: wilder on July 31, 2014, 05:15:30 PM
Yeah the September 9, 2014 blu-ray release is legit, coming from Scorpion Releasing.

via blu-ray.com:

Independent U.S. distributors Scorpion Releasing have confirmed that they will release on Blu-ray Oliver Stone's directorial debut Seizure (1974), starring Jonathan Frid, Martine Beswick, Joseph Sirola, Troy Donahue, Mary Woronov, and Richard Cox. The release is scheduled to arrive on the U.S. market on September 9th.

The release, which will be distributed by Kino Lorber, will feature a brand new HD transfer from the original U.S elements, as well as brand new interviews with stars Mary Woronov and Richard Cox.

YESSS. have any of you guys seen it before? its pretty crazy and interesting. seeing a good print will be awesome.

Pwaybloe

03, you are crazy. That movie is pure shit. 

hahaha. it has so much character though, man! i'm not saying it's a quality film by any means,, technical or otherwise. but it's very enjoyable. it's weird, visually bizarre, unintentionally funny, and you can see the emerging bits of his style. i like it, and i don't really like stone that much, maybe a fistful of his movies. and plus, seeing this on bluray? dude, it's gonna be a different movie totally.

wilder

November 18, 2014

Hal Ashby's Coming Home (1978) from Kino

Coming Home (1978) - Amazon

i love you, wilder. you always remind and inspire me to rewatch loved movies from my past that i nearly forgot about. i picked up the bluray of 'straight time' and 'coming home' thanks to you, man. incredibly underrated films that everyone should watch. 'straight time' feels like the subtlest 1970s scorsese film, with an insanely awesome cast including eddie bunker from reservoir dogs, and a thin and surprisingly sexy kathy bates. and coming home is hal ashby, so that should speak for itself, it's a minor film of his, but i think it is golden. keep up the updates with movies like this and sorcerer and the like, man! you kick ass.

wilder

Cool cool. I think you mean a DVD of Straight Time, though. The day that movie comes out on blu-ray I'm going to do a backflip.

November 25, 2014

Robert Altman's Thieves Like Us (1974) on blu-ray from Kino

Thieves Like Us (1974) - Amazon

November 18, 2014

For jenk, Leos Carax's Mauvais Sang (1986) and Boy Meets Girl (1984) on blu-ray from Carlotta US

yeah you're right, no blu ray yet, i misspoke. but amazing film nonetheless.
i've been watching a lot of ulu grosbards films lately, he's a pretty amazing overlooked director.
i liken him to a very subtle scorsese.

wilder

December 2, 2014

Sidney Lumet's The Offence (1972) on blu-ray from Kino

The Offence (1972) - Amazon

wilder

November 3, 2013

Georg Wilhelm Pabst's Diary of a Lost Girl (1929) on blu-ray from Eureka

Diary of a Lost Girl (1929) - Amazon UK

A masterwork of the German Silent Cinema whose reputation has only increased over time, Diary of a Lost Girl (Tagebuch einer Verlorenen) traces the journey of a young woman from the pit of despair to the moment of personal awakening. Directed with virtuoso flair by the great G. W. Pabst, Diary of a Lost Girl represents the final pairing of the filmmaker with screen icon Louise Brooks, mere months after their first collaboration in the now-legendary Pandoras Box (Die Büchse der Pandora).

Brooks plays Thymiane Henning, an unprepossessing young woman seduced by an unscrupulous and mercenary character employed at her fathers pharmacy (played with gusto by Fritz Rasp, the degenerate villain of such Fritz Lang classics as Metropolis, Spione, and Frau im mond). After Thymiane gives birth to the child and subsequently rejects her familys expectations for marriage, the baby is stripped from her care, and Thymiane is relegated to a purgatorial reform school that functions less as an educational institution and more like a conduit for fulfilling the headmistress's sadistic libidinal fantasies. When Thymiane at last manages to escape and learn the fate of her child, she despondently enters a brothel where she nonetheless flourishes emotionally and sexually, and life begins anew.

wilder

October 20, 2014

Federico Fellini's The Clowns (1970) from Masters of Cinema

The Clowns (1970) - Amazon UK

October 27, 2014

Seijun Suzuki's Youth of the Beast (1963) from Masters of Cinema

Youth of the Beast (1963) - Amazon UK

wilder

December 9, 2014

Arthur Penn's The Missouri Breaks (1976) from Kino

The Missouri Breaks (1976) - Amazon

wilder

October 20, 2014

Bruce Robinson's Withnail & I (1987) and How To Get Ahead in Advertising (1989) (included in Withnail package) on blu-ray from Arrow

Withnail & I (1987) - Amazon UK

October 27, 2014

Jules Dassin's The Naked City (1948) on blu-ray from Arrow

The Naked City (1948) - Amazon UK

wilder

November 18, 2014

Robert Wiene's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) from Kino

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - Amazon

November 25, 2014

Bernardo Bertolucci's The Conformist (1970) on blu-ray from Raro

The Conformist (1970) - Amazon

December 2, 2014

Frank Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) on blu-ray from Sony

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) - Amazon

wilder

December 9, 2014

Robert Altman's Buffalo Bill and the Indians or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (1976) on blu-ray from Kino

Buffalo Bill and the Indians (1976) - Amazon

A cynical Buffalo Bill hires Sitting Bull to exploit him and add his credibility to the distorted view of history presented in his Wild West Show.

wilder

4K Blu-ray Confirmed, Coming in Late 2015
via blu-ray.com

4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year.

Apart from the jump to 4K resolution (3,840×2,160) we can also expect 4K Blu-ray to support higher frame rates (up to 60fps), an expanded color gamut along with high dynamic range (HDR), as well as HEVC/H.265 encoding to compress 4K movies more efficiently.