Dogville

Started by Weak2ndAct, July 12, 2003, 04:39:50 AM

SoNowThen

Quote from: cronopioI know this has been posted thrice, but this is the most informative article so far.

Reilly drops out over dead donkey
Staff and agencies
Thursday April 29, 2004

Aalbaek told the Ritzau news bureau: "As it was explained to me from Sweden, everything went by the book and the entire process was monitored by a veterinarian. We were very conscientious about that, because we didn't want 70,000 American animal rights groups on our back." That said, he added wryly, "We could probably kill six children for a film without anyone raising a fuss."

Hahahahahaha, lovely.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: cronopioAs yet, there are no reports of children being murdered on the set of Manderlay.
Best part of the article.  Hehe.

Sigur Rós

haha, I didn't think Reilly was such a crybaby!

El Duderino

i thought it was like a horse or cow. donkeys have no purpose. stupid john
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pubrick

Quote from: El Duderinoi thought it was like a horse or cow. donkeys have no purpose. stupid john
how is a horse like a cow? those are like the two most opposite animals u could name. well the most opposite u could've named would be a chicken and a whale, u came pretty close tho.

let's see, horse = majestic, elegant, good for riding.
cow = we eat the fuck out of it and everything it makes, even its shit is good for mushrooms.

i don't get what john c is crying about.. hasn't he ever had burritos? (that one's for u, mac)
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Pubricklet's see, horse = majestic, elegant, good for riding.
cow = we eat the fuck out of it and everything it makes, even its shit is good for mushrooms.

bonusinfo: We eat horses too.

Pubrick

bonusreaction: that's f*cked up.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Isn't there something bad about horsemeat? I have no facts, I just thought I heard....

Horses make good glue, however. But of course I would never wanna see one killed.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

horsemeat is good i say

Quote from: the real philhorsemeat is good i say

yuck,  it's "sweeter."
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubricki don't get what john c is crying about.. hasn't he ever had burritos? (that one's for u, mac)

:yabbse-thumbup:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

MANDERLAY PRODUCER DEFENDS DONKEY DECISION
Source: Contactmusic

Bosses of LARS VON TRIER's movie MANDERLAY have defended their decision to portray the slaughter of a donkey - insisting the animal they used was due to be put down anyway.

Actor JOHN C REILLY recently quit the DOGVILLE follow-up in Sweden after hearing the quirky Danish director planned to slaughter a real donkey in a harrowing scene. He has since been replaced by UNFAITHFUL star ZELIKO IVANEK and has received praise from the PEOPLE FOR THE ETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS (PETA).

But executive producer PETER AALBAEK JENSEN defends, "The donkey was old, sick and was going to be put to sleep. Its life was prolonged by two weeks. A vet put the animal to sleep off set and in accordance with Swedish laws."

But PETA president MICHAEL McGRAW hits back, "Fortunately, John C Reilly put his ethics before dollar signs and chose to do the right thing by ending his involvement with Von Trier's picture.

"It's absolutely indefensible that he was kept alive one second longer than he should've been just for the sake of this film. It really does seem impossible that in the year 2004 a film-maker thinks it's okay to kill an animal."

In the movie, the donkey is used to feed a group of hungry townspeople.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

I like to think that those animal protectors are not stupid, but hell they are stupid. It's just a sick old donkey! I can't believe that they don't have any other animals to save. We loose species every year to corporate interests and suddenly a filmaker kills a sick beastl, and he's the monster?
Thousands of cows, pigs, chickens, whatever are slaughtered everyday!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Finn

Just saw this movie yesterday. Brilliantly creative, strong acting but I do think it doesn't justify itself at being anti-american. A lot of what Lars Von Trier is trying to say about America doesn't make any sense. To me the film would've worked better if it had been about human nature itself instead of America. But it's still a terrific film!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Jeremy Blackman

spoilerish

This must be the most beautifully and successfully deconstructive movie I've seen. I really couldn't get over the whole sound stage imaginary doors thing. I was giddy about it the whole time.

And the ending was mindblowing... it really couldn't have ended any other way.