dave depraved cronenberg

Started by Cecil, February 10, 2003, 07:23:04 PM

modage

Cronenberg Helming Painkillers Next
Source: Mary February 16, 2005

Director David Cronenberg will next helm Painkillers, reports Screen Daily.

Painkillers is Cronenberg's first original script since eXistenZ. It is set in the world of radical performance artists and looks at plastic surgery as performance art.

Cronenberg is currently in post-production on his film of the comic A History of Violence, starring Viggo Mortensen for New Line Cinema.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Dammit!  He was supposed to do Martin Amis' London Fields next!

Anyone know what happened to that?

Pubrick

Quote from: hacksparrowDammit!  He was supposed to do Martin Amis' London Fields next!

he abandonded it, after admitting it was impossible to read past the first few pages.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

From The Digital Bits:

Work is being done on a special edition of David Cronenberg's The Fly. With any luck, it'll be ready in time to be a Halloween release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: hacksparrowDammit!  He was supposed to do Martin Amis' London Fields next!

he abandonded it, after admitting it was impossible to read past the first few pages.

:laughing:

Harsh but funny.  It took me two months to read that book.

slackerinthehouse

I just started a Cronengberg fetish myself, right after watching Videodrome too. I saw The Fly and Spider before and they were both pretty good movies.  After Videodrome that thing in my head started where you want to see all of a director's films.  So you spend time and effort looking for them, unfortunately all i've found in this small towm were the beforementioned films as well as scanners, which i rented and i swear i saw when i was little kid.   Today I saw Rabid which was very interesting when i read about it paper and mildly on my screen, what i really liked was the premise and that phallic needle that came out of Rose's arm.  I though it was a bit campy but it still had you with that "Oh no, get out of there" feeling.

I still can't get Videodrome out of my head, I doubt I'll ever will.
Are You a former Fullbright Scholar?

MacGuffin

Cronenberg has 'History of Violence'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- David Cronenberg, who is in Cannes with his In Competition film "A History of Violence," will next direct "Painkillers," a futuristic thriller that reteams him with producer Robert Lantos, who is repped at the festival by Atom Egoyan's "Where the Truth Lies."

The producer and director on Friday confirmed the project, which has been in development for several years.

Based on Cronenberg's first original screenplay in eight years, "Painkillers" is budgeted at $35 million and is being readied for release in late 2006. Andras Hamori ("Fateless") will produce with Lantos.

ThinkFilm's newly formed international sales division, headed by Mark Horowitz, will offer presales at the market. Lantos is chairman and a major shareholder of ThinkFilm.

"Painkillers" explores a society where mankind has taken a wrong turn, embracing perversions and practices that were once considered unacceptable. In the film, surgery, which is performed in public and on camera, is the new sex, and pain, which has been all but eliminated, is the new forbidden pleasure. The plotline focuses on a police detective who is sent undercover to save humanity.

"Sometimes it's good to be afraid of what you create," Cronenberg said. "And I am afraid of 'Painkillers.' I'm very afraid, and that's why I have to do it."

Lantos and Cronberg previously collaborated on "Crash" and "eXistenZ."

"David and I have wanted to get this project off the ground for a few years. But we were not sure the world was ready for its radical subject matter," Hamori said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Director Cronenberg Receives Film Award

Canadian film maker David Cronenberg will receive the lifetime achievement award at this year's Stockholm International Film Festival, organizers said Monday.

Cronenberg, a renowned horror director and the man behind such movies as "The Fly" "Naked Lunch" and "Spider," will receive the Bronze Horse award for his "mind-blowing visual aesthetic," that has "penetrated mass phenomena in modern society as well as the mind and body of the individual," the award jury said in a statement.

The award will be given to Cronenberg during the Nov. 17-27 festival in the Swedish capital.

Last year's Bronze Horse winner was American director Oliver Stone, and previous winners include filmmakers Roman Polanski and David Lynch and actresses Lauren Bacall and Gena Rowlands.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Cronenberg Says Painkillers Not Going To Happen
Source: Chud

In an interview with CHUD, director David Cronenberg said when asked about his upcoming projects, "Painkillers is not going to happen. I can't get into my own script anymore, which is a weird thing that happens. But London Fields is a possibility. I'm kind of juggling a few things, and I don't know what's going to happen next, which is kind of an exciting time. It's the Cronenberg Uncertainty Principle. (laughs). I enjoy it."

full interview here: http://chud.com/interviews/4039
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

w/o horse

My roommate is on a Cronenberg kick so we've been watching a lot of his films.  Naked Lunch, Crash, and eXistenZ in the past week.  The way Cronenberg keeps a consistent tone throughout the movie's course amazes me.  There isn't a flinching scene in Crash, for example.  He reminds me what it is to have a director's vision.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

SHAFTR

I just saw The Brood and probably would rank it as my 2nd favorite Cronenberg film.  The broodlings are a terrific balance of terrifying and hilarious.  Somehow it works as both.

My Cronie Rankings
1)  videodrome
2)  the brood

3)  scanners
4)  spider

5)  crash

Next:  Dead Ringers
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Red Vine

I'm kinda looking forward to History of Violence. If done well, it could be a Cronenberg masterpiece.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Tictacbk

Ravi

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I thought Cronenberg had a hit or miss complex with his movies, but then I realized a lot of his directoral stuff that wasn't his awesome movies was crap for TV.

I'm yet to see a movie by Cronenberg I didn't at least like.  I've seen a few (Videodrome and Naked Lunch in particular) that have really amazed me, but all in all, I've always at least enjoyed them.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye