Oliver Stone......?!

Started by moonshiner, March 13, 2003, 12:17:04 AM

moonshiner

i don't know, if Cameron Crowe is on there, Oliver Stone easily deserves a spot......but i don't throw much weight around here.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

life_boy

The people who do don't really like him too much.  It makes no difference either way to me, though.

©brad

i would love an oliver stone thread. but maybe there are too many already, dont know. he definitely deserves one more than some of the others. Why not divide them into separate categories based on age, i.e. the 'new younger generation' which would incorporate Fincher, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, etc. and then the old geezers like altman, scorsese, stone, kubrick in another thread.

snaporaz

in my opinion, i think there should be fewer director forums. i'd probably take out wes anderson, cameron crowe, and steven soderbergh. not that they're bad filmmakers, i just don't think they've really made that big a mark in cinema that they should warrant an entire forum to them.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: snaporazin my opinion, i think there should be fewer director forums. i'd probably take out wes anderson, cameron crowe, and steven soderbergh. not that they're bad filmmakers, i just don't think they've really made that big a mark in cinema that they should warrant an entire forum to them.

Im with you on this one, some of the directors forums have like 3 threads. About Oliver Stone, I am about to watch Heaven and Earth later today, how is it?

©brad

ha, thats funny. i was just about to make a thread about it. i think its a wonderful film, very powerful and moving.

life_boy

Heaven & Earth is a very beautifully shot picture.  Robert Richardson (a Stone usual) did an excellent job with the cinematography.  The movie is pretty good.  I haven't seen it in a while but from what I remember it was good.

Duck Sauce

I just finished watching this, at first I was really bored and didnt like it but by the time SPOILERS---------------------she got to America I was really impressed. Really paints a poor picture of what America is like. Hiep Thi Le should have been nominated. Thumbs up.

moonshiner

i agree that there's no need for more directors....Oliver Stone's influence might go a little further than that of Cameron Crowe's or even Wes Anderson's though.....on a whim i think we should have a separate category for those directors that also write all their films.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Sigur Rós

Agree......Oliver Stone is top-nutch  :-D

cine

Anybody around here seen his Fidel Castro film?

MacGuffin

Movie director Oliver Stone and Cuban President Fidel Castro are seen in this Feb. 21, 2002 file photo, after the shooting of a documentary in the author's Ernest Hemingway's preferred bar "La terraza" in Cojimar near Havana, Cuba. On Thursday, April 17, 2003 Stone's documentary on Castro has been postponed indefinitely by HBO television, which had planned to broadcast the film next month. Governments and rights groups around the world have condemned Cuba in recent weeks for its crackdown on the opposition, followed by the executions last week of three men convicted of hijacking a ferry filled with passengers in a bid to get to the United States.

HBO Postpones Castro Documentary

Oliver Stone's documentary on Fidel Castro has been postponed indefinitely by HBO, which had planned to broadcast the film next month.

Stone spent three days with Castro in February 2002 in an attempt "to portray the human figure." But HBO, which had promoted "Comandante" as "an unflinching portrait of the famous icon," said Stone's interpretation was undercut by the Cuban leader's recent crackdowns.

"In light of recent alarming events in the country, the film seems somewhat dated or incomplete," said HBO spokeswoman Lana Iny, who characterized the film as "still in the works."

Stone was traveling Thursday from Paris to Los Angeles and had no response to HBO's decision, a spokesman in Los Angeles said.

Governments and rights groups around the world have condemned Cuba in recent weeks for its crackdown on the opposition, followed by the executions last week of three men convicted of hijacking a ferry filled with passengers in a bid to get to the United States.

At February's Berlin Film Festival, where "Comandante" was screened, Stone said his three-day encounter with the communist leader left a deep impression. "We should look to him as one of the Earth's wisest people, one of the people we should consult," said Stone, director of such features as "JFK" and "Nixon."

On Thursday, Iny said HBO is "talking to Oliver about going back to Cuba" to pose questions to Castro about the arrests and executions. "We'll have to look at what Oliver's able to do."

The Cuban American National Foundation praised HBO's move.

"To have provided a platform for Castro to try to whitewash his sins would have been an unforgivable insult to the thousands of men and women who suffer in his tropical gulag," said Jorge Mas Santos, chairman of the Cuban exile group.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: mogwaiOliver looks just like Saddam Hussein.

...or Tom Selleck.

Sleuth

I'm going to have to go with Hussein on this one
I like to hug dogs

Pedro

Quote from: tremoloslothI'm going to have to go with Hussein on this one
He really does.  That's sort of creepy.  I love Stone.  I just finished watching JFK for the first time..I was behind I know...but my intitial is WOW that was amazing.  Even though I'm not sure of the accuracy of it, it was still awe inspiring.