COLDPLAY

Started by Finn, April 13, 2004, 07:15:14 AM

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Stefen Posts Drunker
Quote from: bigideaswhen AROBTTH came out

The cool way to say it. Capitalized and everything. I LIKE THAT. SHOWS ME YOU KNOW YOUR COLDPLAY.
it's no HTTT.

or OKC.
P is definitely my favorite of theirs.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: bigideas
P is definitely my favorite of theirs.

And they're one of P's least favorite.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

i know they're not cool or anything and their new album isn't as good as their last one but i just saw Coldplay at Madison Square Garden and it was pretty damn awesome.  i hadn't seen them in like 4 years when i saw/met them at the Electric Factory in philadelphia and they've gotten a million times huger/better since then.  really interesting to see a band metamorphos like that.  oh, and seeing them play the new stuff made me appreciate it a lot more...instantly.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

To those who shit on Coldplay:   :finger:

And they are an amazing live band.  As emotional as U2 and not half as cheesy.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: polkabluesTo those who shit on Coldplay:   :finger:

Agreed.  Although I don't find myself listening to their new album so much, whereas I couldn't get enough of A Rush of Blood.  I still think that's a masterpiece.

The Red Vine

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: polkabluesTo those who shit on Coldplay:   :finger:

Agreed.  Although I don't find myself listening to their new album so much, whereas I couldn't get enough of A Rush of Blood.  I still think that's a masterpiece.

Agreed here too.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Myxo

Finally listened to X&Y or whatever the fuck it is called all the way through. Don't like it nearly as much as "Rush of Cold Blood..". The first track is outstanding but for fuck's sake, what is up with Chris Martin's obsession with rhyme? Every fucking song is like:

What if there was no time
And no reason, or rhyme
What if you should decide
That you don't want me there by your side
That you don't want me there in your life
What if I got it wrong
And no poet or song
Could put right what I got wrong
Or make you feel I belong

:yabbse-undecided:

When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse
When the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace

:yabbse-thumbdown:

mogwai

^

aka rejected lullabies for apple.

atticus jones

Quote from: Myxo on October 11, 2005, 04:38:30 AM
The first track is outstanding but for fuck's sake, what is up with Chris Martin's obsession with rhyme?

yeah, rhyming sucks...

im going to the show at the gee dubble you forum this Saturday night...

anyone else gonna be there?
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

MacGuffin

Britain's Coldplay working on new album

Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin said Sunday his band is working on a new album featuring what he called a quintessential song that everybody should hear "before we die."

Martin and his band spoke hours before the final concert of a Latin American tour that took them to Chile, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico.

The band said it plans to return to the studio after a two-year hiatus to record an album that will have a different sound from "X&Y," which has sold more than 2 million copies since it was released in 2005.

"I think for a long time people felt like we were a band in black-and-white, and now we feel like because we have this incredible job, now we can do whatever we like and try all kinds of new things," Martin said.

He added that the record will include what could be Coldplay's best song yet.

"In order for us to get excited about a new album, we have to have one song that we feel like everybody has to hear ... before we die, otherwise we'll be terribly depressed," Martin said. "So luckily with this new record we're going to make, we have that one song."

"I can't tell you about it, but it's basically genius," he joked.

Martin, who celebrated his 30th birthday on a Mexican beach last week, also said he is proud of Coldplay's activism to raise awareness about free trade practices around the globe and support poor farmers in developing countries.

Martin is a spokesman for the British aid group Oxfam's "Make Trade Fair" campaign, and Oxfam volunteers provide information on free trade and distribute petitions at Coldplay's concerts.

The singer said he has hope for the future with less than two years left in President Bush's term. "I think we're all excited, everyone in the world is excited about the American elections next year," he said. "Sometimes it's easy to give up all hope."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Coldplay Go To Church, Say New Album Will Be Blessed With 'Hispanic Theme'
'The sights, sounds and flavors of Latin America and Spain have definitely been infused into this album,' band says in post.
Source: MTV

Coldplay's fourth album is shaping up to be quite the affair: Brian Eno behind the decks, recording sessions at church altars and — apparently — a "strengthening Hispanic theme."

That's according to the bandmembers themselves, who posted a handwritten message on their site detailing the recording of their follow-up to 2005's X&Y, which they're working on in Barcelona, Spain. But before you get all excited for flamenco guitars and paeans to paella, remember, this is Coldplay we're talking about.

"The sights, sounds and flavors of Latin America and Spain have definitely been infused into this album. The band visited Argentina, Chile, Brazil and Mexico earlier this year. Chris [Martin] then came up with the idea of recording in Spain," the post reads. "The music and lyrics have begun to reflect the strengthening Hispanic theme. No maracas or castanets, but a vibrancy and colorfulness that owes much to the atmospheres of Buenos Aires [Argentina] and Barcelona. The effect is subtle but important."

See, subtle. That's sort of been the theme Coldplay have employed for album number four. After all, the "announcement" that they were working with Eno didn't come via some wordy press release, but rather through an offhand comment the producer made in a BBC Radio interview back in February (see "Break's Over: Coldplay Tap Super-Producer Brian Eno For X&Y Follow-Up"). And that news came on the heels of the announcement that the band wasn't working on an album at all — rather, Coldplay were settling in to enjoy "a much-deserved break," according to a spokesperson for their label, Capitol (see "No Five-Year Hiatus For Coldplay — But They Are Taking A Break").

And for their upcoming album, they're even keeping their travel subtle: trekking from church to church, recording on the fly. It's a manner somewhat unbecoming for one of the biggest rock acts in the world and its mega-famous producer, but according to the post, everyone seems to be enjoying the whole "under-the-radar" shtick.

"We've been traveling light — an acoustic guitar, a couple of mics, a laptop and some headphones. We're recording in Barcelona, moving from church to church, setting up where we can: in front of the altar, under the pulpit," the post continues. "We've been playing at the feet of archangels. It's an odd scene: a host of saints look down impassively upon four unkempt bandmembers, circled around a single mic stand, singing loudly together as recorded guitars reverberate around the church. They're laying down backing vocals. Brian often joins them: group singing is one of his greatest joys."

Funny, we always pegged Eno for more of a song-and-dance man. Anyway, earlier posts on Coldplay's site also indicate that Eno's longtime collaborator Markus Dravs is also along for the ride, and that the band has been working on 25 "pieces" of music for the new album. But there's still no release date or title, and Capitol had no additional information about the project when contacted by MTV News.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks