Chaplin and Keaton

Started by Ernie, March 02, 2003, 08:45:13 PM

cine

Quote from: themodernage02wow.  i just watched my first Chaplin film City Lights and LOVED IT.  it was so great and funny and sad and just amazing.  modern times and great dictator should be here in a day or two.  so let me just extend to anyone else who has not seen any chaplin to please watch this movie.
so you didn't get the box sets, I'm guessing? You would've saved a ton of money, and it would've been worth every penny.

modage

no i netflixed it, but me and my girlfriend just discussed it and we've decided as soon as i get a paycheck we're going to split the cost of just buying both!  we did the math, we're excited.  and i am normally NOT a blind-buying guy.  (i think the only blind buy's i've ever made were Citizen Kane, and 2 of the movies in the Kubrick Collection i hadnt seen yet)  and yet, i cant WAIT to get these.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

wow, just my luck.  didnt even know it but its Charlie Chaplin Month on TCM and tonite they just showed The Gold Rush.  i again, loved it.  it was funny and sad and just great.  one question though, i watched the 30 minute chaplin today: gold rush special beforehand and they mentioned how it was originally released silent and with a slightly altered/extended ending with kissing.  so is this version which he released 17 years later with narration and music the 'definitive' version of the film?  does the dvd include this AND the silent?  or just this.  because at times when the narration was heavy it seemed to distract from the action, and was curious as to whether this is the accepted cut.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02does the dvd include this AND the silent?
Yes. Now go buy it.

modage

okay i just watched my last two chaplins for a while, Modern Times and The Great Dictator.  i loved Modern Times (during which i recognized about every good scene from Cinephiles banners) and liked Great Dictator (but thought it went on a little too long and wasnt as consistently funny as the previous 3 i had seen).  whereas the first two i watched were funny/sad, these last two were funny/social commentaries, which was interesting.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02okay i just watched my last two chaplins for a while, Modern Times and The Great Dictator.
What can I say? I pick the good ones.  :wink:

Now try watching Griffith's films and finding the scenes from those banners..

I love those Griffith banners...

Chest Rockwell

So I might start buying a few Chaplin films, any recommendations? I just saw recommendations for Gold Rush, Great Dictator and Modern Times. Any others?

cine

Quote from: Chest RockwellSo I might start buying a few Chaplin films, any recommendations? I just saw recommendations for Gold Rush, Great Dictator and Modern Times. Any others?
Don't trouble yourself. Just buy the full collections:

Pubrick

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellSo I might start buying a few Chaplin films, any recommendations? I just saw recommendations for Gold Rush, Great Dictator and Modern Times. Any others?
City Lights was my favorite, with Gold Rush, then Modern Times close behind.  if you have netflix i would recommend checking out those first.  but, if the only way for you to see any are blind buying, i would agree with cinephile, its much cheaper to get the sets 10 films (20 discs) for about $150.  instead of $20 or so per film.  as soon as i have $150 with my name on it, i'm going to have to do this.  but i really cant recommend those 3 enough.  like, i dont know how many people on here havent seen them but i thought they were fantastic.

Ghostboy

I'd still buy the Keaton set before the Chaplin set(s), but that's just moi. I just watched Gold Rush for the first time the other night, and I just have to say...that climactic house scene could have lasted for the full ninety minutes and I wouldn't have gotten tired of it!  

Of the trio that almost everyone has seen, I think Modern Times is my favorite, but it's been so long since I've see City Lights that my ranking may be innacurate.

cine

I'm a little worried to find out what Warner Bros. has in store for us Keaton fans. They're planning on releasing his films but I wonder what they'll have that the Kino box set doesn't. I swear, if it's like the Chaplin Collection I'll be livid; I spent $250 Canadian on that box set. If there's going to be something released thats superior to it, there's no telling what I'll do.

modage

yeah i havent seen any keaton or griffith yet.  but i plan on watching Sherlock Jr., The General and Intolerance, Birth of a Nation soon.

tpfkabi

is the Keaton box set really good......i.e.; nice transfers, extras, etc?

here is a cheap solution for those interested in Chaplin/Keaton:
in the 5.50 dvd bin at Wal-Mart they have a 2 DVD set which includes
The General and Steamboat Bill Jr. &
The Kid and Tillies Punctured Romance
i'm not saying the DVD's are all that great, but it's a relatively cheap way of checking them out........i got it mainly for The General.....i haven't seen these 2 Chaplin films though

i bought the first Chaplin box set and it was really great.
at first the Gold Rush was my favorite (i wish they would have had the original score for the original cut....that elec piano just don't cut it), but now i think it's Modern Times.......but they're all good.........anyone notice how much the Great Dictator has influenced films/people like Dr Strangelove, Austin Powers series, Mel Brooks?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

cine

Quote from: bigideasis the Keaton box set really good......i.e.; nice transfers, extras, etc?
Yes, its incredible. Love it. This is why I don't know what Warner Bros. is planning to do, because I don't see how they're going to top it. Unless somehow they release the Cameraman or something. The transfers are beautiful and the extras are all compiled on a disc called Keaton Plus. It's basically the definitive Keaton and if you like Chaplin, the Keaton box set is must.