The utter horror of Armageddon

Started by Ernie, March 18, 2003, 04:23:22 PM

Ernie

Quote from: Duck SauceSo basically the class has decided not to hurt your feelings. I hate that, like when I am talking to somebody who is really nice but obviously doesnt know shit about what they are talking about, you just have to humor them. Ask her if you can bring in your own movies

Oh, people have begged her to bring in movies...she just sticks to that damn "appropriate movies list" so tight, she won't let us.

She does seem to know a thing or two about movies though...really really really popular movies. But yeah, she doesn't know what she's talking about sometimes...she admits to looking up half the info she gives us on the internet (she doesn't even know about IMDB!). But yeah, it's all cool with me because she's just way too nice not to like and listen to. I hate analyzing movies, I joined the class anyway knowing it would be an easy grade for me...analyzing just sucks all of the magic out of movies. It's cool though, I don't even like or care about half the movies we've watched and are going to watch. And as I said, it's still a fucking great class...it's right at the end of the day too, it's great to end the day with a movie...even if it does suck. The only thing I really hate about the class is this arrogant fucking senior that thinks he knows EVERYTHING about movies when I know more than him and I don't know everything. He thinks he's a genius just because he's seen 2 foreign films (amelie and y tu mama tambien) and he knows David Fincher's name. He's the only fucking kid that gets on my nerves. All the rest of them are cool...their taste is a little fucked film-wise but they're just so fun to be around and nice to everybody. They're a hell of a lot more interesting than my fellow sophomores...and so fucking funny.

Gold Trumpet

Ebes, skull thump that senior.

and to the subject of the action movie ala Michael Bay. Actually, I'm on quite good terms with him as a director. He just needs to realize the absurdity of his stories like in The Rock and not go for anything serious like Pearl Harbor or Armageddon. The absurdity in his movies can be a lot of fun.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Xixax

I didn't hate The Rock. In fact, it was quite good.

But Armageddon was ass.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Cecil

Quote from: ebeaman69We had to fast forward through a scene involving animal crackers today.  :?:

thats the stupidest fucking thing ive ever heard (and the scene is pretty stupid  too)

cowboykurtis

when speaking about the action genre i think the rock is a good flick.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

That animal cracker scene is hilarious. Liv Tyler has a cute stomach.

I have The Rock on DVD and am not ashamed to say I think its a good action movie.

I also think Bay could direct a halfway decent Superman movie.

I also think that he is, indeed, the Devil.

©brad

Why why why why did you watch Armageddon in ANY film studies class? Please ask your teacher. I mean if it was to show an example of a bad movie couldn't she have shown a clip instead of the entire 2 hours? I remember my first cinema class freshman year in college- teacher asked us why Armageddon and Independece Day were the worst movies ever- not because their mindless action flicks but because they reek of America saves the day- the rest of the world can't do shit- flag waving propaganda. It's enough to make you nauseous.

when i was a kid i dug independence day just as much as the next guy. i dont think i would ever watch it again now but im not going to knock anyone who likes it. however, to watch a movie like that in film class?

life_boy

I too enjoyed The Rock.  I too also thought Armageddon was ass (my little 15 year old mind could grasp that walking out of the theater, even if it did hurt a little because that little 15 year old mind also truly enjoyed The Rock two years prior).  About Criterion releasing it as part of their illustrious line: well, what can I say?  Criterion doesn't discriminate.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: life_boyAbout Criterion releasing it as part of their illustrious line: well, what can I say?  Criterion doesn't discriminate.

Criterions gots ta get paid.

BonBon85

I also know the horrors of high school film classes. Mine was funny because the students had better taste than the teacher (one kid gave the teacher a copy of Requiem for a Dream because he had never heard of it). We were allowed to watch rated R movies, though, so I don't have much of a reason to complain.

I think that every film class has at least one arrogant moron. I had a guy in my class who called himself "the next Francis Ford Coppola" and has already planned his Oscar acceptance speech.

bonanzataz

I took a film class and my teacher's example of a bad movie was Battlefield Earth. He showed about 2 minutes of that movie to the class and they were probably the worst 2 minutes I've ever witnessed captured on film. Wow that movie looked awful.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

GodDamnImDaMan

Armagedon huh? Ya that piece of shit was horrible.....but it does bring up an old memory. When i was much younger, and more creamy, i saw that in the theatres with "valleydude." Some how he spilt soda on his sweater and was taking it off.....my sick mind then commanded me to grab his sweater and under shirt and throw it to the front of the theatre.....and the asshole had to walk and pick it up shirtless........Can u imagine?!?! Sitting there watching a pastey chubby kid go and pick up up a sweater shirtless?????
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

©brad

definitely sounds more exciting than watching the movie.

Cecil

Quote from: BonBon85I had a guy in my class who called himself "the next Francis Ford Coppola" and has already planned his Oscar acceptance speech.

i planned mine as well: "good lord, what have i done???? WHAT HAVE I DONE!??"