Philip Baker Hall NPR Fresh Air

Started by 82, November 08, 2003, 11:53:28 PM

http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=11/06/2003

He's starring in the new film Die Mommie Die! directed by Mark Rucker and written by Charles Busch, who also stars in the film. The film blends melodrama, mystery and comedy. Hall has also appeared in director Paul Thomas Anderson's films Hard Eight, Boogie Nights and Magnolia. He also played a Joe Friday-type cop in an episode of Seinfeld, on the trail of overdue library books.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Jeremy Blackman

I thought it was a pretty good (but short) interview. Same with the Sean Penn one a few days ago. The clip of Jimmy Gator is a little awkward without actually seeing how he's struggling and sweating, etc.

Ravi

It was interesting to hear about his childhood and how the Depression affected his family.  I've always seen him as an older man in films, so I can't imagine him as a kid.

Ghostboy

It made me think that, even though PTA has every right not to do a director's commentary, it would have been really fascinating to hear the actors talk about Magnolia, a la his first two films. Hall's stuff on Hard Eight is just wonderful, and the stories he relayed on Fresh Air made me yearn for more.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Ghostboythe stories he relayed on Fresh Air made me yearn for more.

Especially the part about reading Cigarettes & Coffee for the first time.

Finn

I finally got to listen to this! I've been having trouble with the NPR website audio system for some reason. Anyways, it's a really wonderful interview. I'm glad he touched on the rain of frogs thing. My only complaint is that Secret Honor wasn't really talked about. But it's fine anyways. What a great actor!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SydneyWhat a great actor!
he is, sydney.

or

sydney he is.