PTA in BlackBook

Started by cowboykurtis, December 09, 2003, 12:34:02 PM

Ernie

Quote from: P1. Zentropa
2. Dancer in the Dark
3. The Idiots

anyway, the point is ebeaman should watch Breaking the Waves first, as Dancer can be a difficult film for an LVT virgin.

Ok, cool cool. Yea, I didn't want to have to choose between those two, that's the main reason I haven't seen either of them. I really wanted to have a reason to ignore one of them for now, thank you, very good. Netflix is awaiting.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeamanNetflix is awaiting.

Netflix is the only thing that stands between me and The Idiots.  :yabbse-sad:

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ebeamanWanna know what sucks though? I have never seen a Lars Von Trier film, I feel so left out right now.

I've only seen Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark, but if I were you, I'd definitely check out Breaking the Waves first. If you like any of them then it may not be best to hear my opinion. I think they're both ridiculous. I hardly ever share any of PTA's tastes in movies.

phil marlowe

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI hardly ever share any of PTA's tastes in movies.
it's because he has...you know...feelings.

but seriously, talking about ridiculous...the idiots. i don't know what that was exactly and i fear i never will.

brockly

This reviewer made me laugh, especially seen as his partner had just given it a 5 (out of five).

QuoteDANCER IN THE DARK - Where to begin? Lars Von Trier continues to celebrate his cult of cinematic ugliness with this visually hideous film with its nausea-inducing hand-held, video-tinged widescreen photography and its all-over-the-place editing. The ridiculous story would be laughed off the screen if it turned up in a Hollywood film. The dance numbers are embarrassing, the songs banal. Most of the actors look awkward and embarrassed (Joel Gray is an exception). Bjork may be a singer (I can't see it myself), but she's certainly no actress. The fascinating thing about the film is the way it divides people - it's certainly a talking point, but for those, like me, disenchanted by Von Trier's hypocrisies and bombastic self-importance watching DANCER IN THE DARK was like having someone scratching a blackboard for over 2 hours - almost unendurable.

Goes to show it's the sort of film you either love of hate.

http://www.sbs.com.au/movieshow/reviews.php3?id=129

molly

seems like directors really have an eye for the footware

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Those are the greatest pics ever.

PTA gives guys with neckbeards (me) hope.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

swimmingly

Quote from: mollyseems like directors really have an eye for the footware

HA ha ha...too true!

md

PTA: It feels exciting, and it feels comfortable. I don't get a sense of American pride. I just get a sense that everyone is here, battling the same thing--that around the world everybody's after the same thing, just some minor piece of happiness each day.

what a beautiful qoute....
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenThose are the greatest pics ever.

PTA gives guys with neckbeards (me) hope.

Lol, I think I'm going to have one too. It's hard to tell right now. Like I've had the same mustache for like 4 years now, it's just kinda there then there's just the smallest little bit of peach fuzz....or not even peach fuzz but like a notch below peach fuzz...on my neck and chin. I think I'm destined to forever have what I have now, seriously, none of it ever grows.

SoNowThen

Seriously, chicks dig the irish neckbeard. I let mine grow out, so I don't even hafta wear a scarf in winter...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

i have a hairy face for my age and i too enjoy the neckbeard, it's fun too just fiddle with from time to time in class or whatever

Spike

Trier and PTA look like freakin' bums on the last pic.  :-D
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"