Most untimely deaths in music history....

Started by Kev Hoffman, October 17, 2003, 09:37:49 AM

Kev Hoffman

mine:

Otis Redding
John Lennon
Robert Johnson
Marvin Gaye
and
Jimi Hendrix

SoNowThen

Buddy Holly, maybe

I have one for Most Timely death: Brian Johnson. After he died, it freed up the Stones to do their best work (though I guess they had sacked him already, but still, it worked as a good cap for their early pop-ier era).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardianNick Drake.

seconded
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Mick Ronson... died after producing Morrissey's wonderful Your Arsenal album... would've been nice to hear what he could've done for future Moz releases/other artists...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Witkacy

Sid Vicious... not because he was a good musician but because his death changed the path of punk rock.  If he never died we may have been mired in a never ending cycle of bad Brit punk.  PIL may have never formed.  
Then again... I still play my Sex Pistols' vinyl.

Pedro

Quote from: SoNowThen

seconded
thirded

Kev Hoffman

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: SoNowThen

seconded
thirded

Forgoted

smash

Find Your Magali

John Bonham.

Led Zeppelin making fresh music in the 80s would have been a fascinating thing.

SHAFTR

Otis Redding is sittin' on the bottom of the bay near me.  His plane crashed in Lake Menona in Madison, WI...which is 3 blocks from me.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Alethia

pookiethecat

even if left eye's only audible contribution to the group were goofy rap interludes, TLC recorded some pretty sweet songs

observe:

unpretty
no scrubs
creep
waterfalls

ya gotta figure she contributed somewhat
i wanna lick 'em.