Favourite Lynch thing.

Started by budgie, March 04, 2003, 03:04:36 PM

Sigur Rós

Be nice......Enough hostility! It's making me depressed....Talk dirty on PM...

By the way i'm not a hippie  8)

Pubrick

Quote from: Pmog, u had to go and do that didn't u.. bahhh picolas
Shut the hell up, jerk.
under the paving stones.

picolas

Quote from: CinephileI noticed that too.. only I'm new here so I didn't think it was unusual.. I just accepted it as the norm.

I did...except that I didn't at all!  :wink:

Jeremy, if anything, YOU'RE the one who sounds like a jerk here!

That's right. I said it. YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A JERK. A JERK.

sphinx

Quote from: CinephileDoes anybody here dislike "Blue Velvet"?  I personally think it was overrated.

not liking something and thinking something is overrated aren't the same thing

Sigur Rós

Quote from: CinephileDoes anybody here dislike "Blue Velvet"?  I personally think it was overrated.

Why :?:

Cecil

i think blue velvet is a masterpiece.

Sigur Rós

Me too! And please tell me "Mr. Cinephile" what's wrong with it?  :?

budgie

I too used to think Blue Velvet was overrated. It acquired its status by capturing imaginations and everyone off guard, and I think that's partly how it's come to be called a masterpiece. Maybe it's a groundbreaker rather than that. I recognise it better now but I still prefer Eraserhead and Lost Highway as more consistently involving and strange. I wander off a bit with Blue Velvet when it gets too into the detective plot. I may even prefer Mulholland Dr, but that just teases me with its lack of development, so I dunno.

Gold Trumpet

Not only do I think Blue Velvet is overrated, but I think it is a terrible movie also. I understood the shocking value of what the movie was about, but could not help but feel that the movie addressed it in such a cheap way. Instead of fully going into the world of the issue with the disorder (specific name eludes) it made it into a small morality play that was differing in good wholesome society meeting bad society. The movie only investigated the issues with eyes half opened, because it seemed stuck on a Hitchock plot that was constantly shifting back and forth between one man's good life and his desires for the bad life or whatever. With the focus being this Hitchock morality tale of the influence of bad society upon good, the severity of the disorder seems missued and when the movie ends on a wholesome image of the boy being brought back to the nice girl with everything nice, I just felt too much that the disorder existed only as a plot device to a much simpler movie. The issue is just not murder like any other movie, a thing that is most devastating but impact idea wise is nearly gone because of how much it has been used. The issue is a taboo one instead that feels new and fresh and that is prolly the reason it was chosen. Lynch is just way too stuck within the confides of a simple movie that really allows him to effectively explore the subject.

~rougerum

cine

Well, GT beat me to it.. good too.. since I didn't want to have to debate "Blue Velvet".. its one of those movies where you love it, you hate it, or you're torn to make a decision whether it was a masterpiece or a misfire.

NEON MERCURY

penfold0101

I also think blue velvet is a masterpiece,
Frank has to be the best (or is that worst) bad guy in any film.
Agent Dale Cooper is the most perfect good guy ever imo.

The best thing i feel is the Red Room.
But i do like damn fine coffee and damn good cherry pie.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

NEON MERCURY

just for fun i will go in chronological order of his films and discuss 5 'favorite lynch things' in each film.

-----------spoilers------------------------------------

eraserhead

-entire dinner scene: chickens, spasms, the way mr. x stares at henry

-grandma and her salad tossing techniques

-every single moment of celluloid bliss from the moment that henry liquifies himself into his bed with ther lady next door, including the whole stage radiator scenes and then to the pencil factory then .....POOF!!

-lady in the radiator singing "In Heaven Everything is Fine"  while stepping on sperms.

-when the  baby gets guted.

Quote from: Pedro the AlpacaThe girl dancing on Frank Booth's car when he beats the shit out of Kyle Mc.!#@^@??

definetely.  also the old ladies with whigs in wild at heart.
and the old guys in the hotel  helping lula's mum.
context, context, context.

Two Lane Blacktop

Spoilers, blah blah blah

A favorite Lynch moment:

Bill Pullman's phone call to his house in Lost Highway, and Robert Blake answers the phone even while standing right in front of him.  That gave me serious heebie jeebies.  

2LB
Body by Guinness