The Sopranos

Started by SoNowThen, November 19, 2003, 02:34:59 PM

72teeth

Quote from: kal on May 14, 2007, 12:34:53 AM
cant fucking believe it will be over in a few more episodes.

no shit...i dont know what the fuck im going to do...
like you i kinda marathoned my way thru the series, and last week was the first ep. i was able to see "live," and i was sad because it kinda left me "meh" and with a horrible gut feeling like it could all end mediocre....
but fuck, this last one...  :yabbse-cry:
the rerun just came on rite now and i actually had to change the channel during that scene, i could not re-watch it...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

©brad

s
p
o
i
l
s

man last night was sooooo good. maybe one of the top 5, especially the peyote sequence. that last shot, tony screaming "i get it!" gave me chills. christopher's death was perfect. we all knew he was going to bite it, so it was great to have it happen within the first 4 minutes.

so random, but i was watching the departed at a friend's house just yesterday, and was thinking this is a movie that david chase probably loved. so i cracked up when christopher whipped out the departed soundtrack, and tony was like "yeah it's really good." and remember last week's episode, tony walks downstairs signing "comfortably numb."

i think aj is going to kill someone.

Fernando

Quote from: bonanzataz on May 14, 2007, 12:27:31 AM
i mean, it was fantastic, i love this season to death, and i kinda get it, but...
why?
i don't really know why tony did that. i'm sad.

IMO it's a combination of a lot of things, one was when that Carmela told Tony the boss in Cleaver was a mirror image (according to her friend Rosalie Aprile) of him and the cheating girl was Ade, Tony thnking aout the latter thought it was Christopher's way of showing he wanted to kill him for real, then at the accident Chris telling him he isn't clean and seeing the destroyed children's car seat in the backseat with rage.

Who would have thought that Sil was the must affected of the crew? 'that fucking crazy maniac'  :yabbse-cry:

Quote from: ©brad on May 14, 2007, 08:23:31 AM
i think aj is going to kill someone.

Wasn't he repulsed by the beating of the bicylcle dude? But maybe you're onto something here.
Cron is right though, aj is turning in a pretty interesting character, he used to always be numb about everything, guy finally is waking up.

Only three more eps to go... :yabbse-sad:

diggler

Quote from: Fernando on May 14, 2007, 09:56:49 AM
Wasn't he repulsed by the beating of the bicylcle dude? But maybe you're onto something here.
Cron is right though, aj is turning in a pretty interesting character, he used to always be numb about everything, guy finally is waking up.

spoilers:

it seems like AJ is already going through what it took tony many more years to realize.  they've already set him up with his own therapist to deal with his moral quandaries.  The acid foot thing was typical gangster commeuppance, but the bicycle guy was true senseless brutality.   I can't stop thinking about what tony meant at the end by "i get it", like maybe he realizes the attraction chris felt for seperating from the lifestyle? or it could be just some peyote induced realization that wears off after coming down. 

what a tragic character chris turned out to be. i'm still shocked it ended that way.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

i'm very angry.  i'm watching the sopranos now, midway through season 4 and f'ing cinematical spoiled last night for me.   :yabbse-angry:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on May 14, 2007, 12:48:40 PM
 I can't stop thinking about what tony meant at the end by "i get it",

Spoils.

I took it as Tony just saying:
"I Get It. I'm the boss and i can do what i want, whenever i want.... people are gonna think I'm doing it all ready, and not even Chrissy could survive a life of this so what does the say for me. Fuck it. Let's go..."

i think Tony's gonna just go crazy during these last 3. Kill Leotardo, Fuck whoever, Take whatever, end up getting his whole family killed over it... both families.

Last Ep. Predictino:
Most everyone dies. Tony becomes king shit, bat-shit crazy, and all alone. as shit...

Yowza Yowza Yowza

©brad

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on May 14, 2007, 12:48:40 PMwhat a tragic character chris turned out to be. i'm still shocked it ended that way.

he really is, especially when you consider his demeanor in the previous two episodes (save the killing of the screenwriter). he was more responsible and restrained than he's probably ever been. i'm thinking particularly of the phone call to tony after finding his front yard torn to shit by pauly. the old, drugged up chrissy would've immediately retaliated via smashing his hummer into pauly's living room or something equally destructive. but what does he do - he calls tony and says "i'm not going to do anything stupid here tony, no payback, no nothing, b/c i love you and i know you're going to take care of it and do the right thing.." it's really fucked up b/c you got the sense that he was really trying to sober up and do better but ultimately he's forced to drink by pauly and tony. so drinking leads to drugs which lead to car accident and then... well you know.

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on May 14, 2007, 12:48:40 PM
or it could be just some peyote induced realization that wears off after coming down.

that's what i'm inclined to think. i just can't see him triumphantly pronouncing this "answer" - whatever it may be - in his next therapy session. but hell, the beauty of this show is that anything you think is going to happen will probably be debunked in the first 5 minutes of the next episode.

also, did anyone notice the ducks that were in the same water tony's guys were dumping the asbestos in? some ppl at lunch today were talking about that foreshadowing tony's inevitable demise.

Kal

Chris was going to end up bad one way or the other. He is probably the most traumatic character of the series, and that is saying a lot. Consider that the drug problem started all the way in the 2nd season, and in all those years he was never able to control it like the other guys. He was always weaker, and that is why he reacted like crazy every time because he didnt know what else to do. It was obvious that things would get much worse when Adriana was gone, but the writers did the opposite and made him look like he was taking the right way. The finale last year with him and the realtor didnt make a lot of sense then but it showed how fucked up he was. He hated Tony and loved him at the same time and trying to prove himself and get Tonys respect was what fucked him up the most. It was great seeing how Paulie felt, cause they always had problems but Paulie is very emotional and love Chris anyhow.

I agree that Tony will be out of control and go after Leotardo. No matter the outcome for Tony's family, I want that scumbag dead. Its amazing how they dont show it, or maybe its a writing problem, but the NJ family has had a lot of problems over the years even with Tony being 'under control' of the situation. The NY family had Carmine die, then Johnny Sack went to jail, etc... and they still act like they are fucking dandy.

Kal

Shock 'Sopranos' death as show nears end

NEW YORK (AP) -- The body count for "The Sopranos" had a major bump Sunday as this HBO mob drama races toward its own termination. (Spoiler alert: If you plan to watch the episode later and don't want to learn the newest casualty, stop reading now.)

(Have you stopped reading yet? This is your final warning.)

With the series' conclusion just three episodes away (on June 10), this week's victim was Christopher Moltisanti, nephew of New Jersey mob boss Tony Soprano and, until lately, Tony's presumed successor. Death resulted from a car crash with Christopher at the wheel, but Tony, by then fed up with his destructive behavior, made sure the accident was decisive.

It was early in the episode that Christopher (Michael Imperioli) and Tony (James Gandolfini) were returning from Manhattan, where they had a contentious meeting with New York boss Phil Leotardo.

Barreling along a deserted New Jersey highway, the two of them groused about the deal going sour. Meanwhile, Christopher kept taking his eyes off the road to fine-tune his sound system (which notably was playing Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" from the soundtrack for the recent film "The Departed" -- a song that also figured in a previous episode).

Then his sport utility vehicle abruptly crossed the center line. Christopher veered off the road to miss an oncoming car and crashed down a hill.

Tony was banged up, but Christopher was in far more serious condition. Having suffered internal injuries, he was spitting up blood and gasping for breath.

He pleaded for help. But before Tony could dial 911, the dazed Christopher added, as if about to face a DUI charge, "I'll never pass the drug test. Call me a taxi."

Feeling betrayed yet again by Christopher (who had routinely vowed that he was drug-free), Tony made a fateful decision: It was time to solve this personnel problem. Tony pinched Christopher's nose, guaranteeing he would smother, and, looking comfortably numb, Christopher faded away.

This short interlude led an hour that predominantly addressed the effect of Christopher's death on his family, the crew and Tony in particular.

Played by Imperioli since "The Sopranos" premiered in 1999, Christopher was headstrong and homicidal, self-involved and erratic, all faults that were enhanced by his alcohol and drug addictions.

Having collected many dangerous enemies (including Leotardo), Christopher was widely expected by "Sopranos" fans to meet a violent demise by the series' end. The circumstances and timing, however, were a surprise -- as well as Tony's mixed reaction.

Despite suffering pain, loss and guilt from Christopher's death, Tony also felt grateful relief from a burden he accurately described to his psychiatrist, Dr. Melfi, as "a weak, lying drug addict who fantasized about my downfall."

At the end of the hour, Tony, who by then had bolted for a private getaway to Las Vegas, was watching the sun come up across the desert while, in a peyote haze, he bellowed out, "I get it!"

Viewers were left to ponder just what it was he got.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

©brad

sweet jesus. 

oh it's on.

Kal

I cant believe there is only one episode left... and what has been happening... shit!

72teeth

How the fuck are they gonna end this all in ONE hour!? Come On!

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Kal

Some of the biggest things in this show have happened over 5-10 minutes... I think the episode will have major things happening from the first scene.

cine

the soprano family is gonna get killed. every last one of 'em.