We need some more Chuck Palahniuk film adaptations.

Started by Myxo, June 20, 2003, 11:19:27 AM

BonBon85

Guts is great. It'll be published in Playboy, so you'll want to check it out then. It's very funny in a very sick way. Two people passed out at the reading I went to and many others had to put their heads down and plug their ears. I think summarizing it would take away some of its effect, but I will say it is essentially just how he described it on Conan: 3 curious men each try something a little different and they all end horribly. I do have to wonder if the story will be as interesting in print form, though.

RegularKarate

That's what i was thinking... I don't know anyone who's ever passed out while READING a book.

When that story comes out, someone (who's not boring) read the story and burn it to an MP3 for us.

MacGuffin

Quote from: BonBon85There was talk about an Invisible Monsters movie and I hope this happens. I know it's probably his least popular book, but it's my personal favorite.

Okay, just finished this book, and it was so funny, especially the one-liners. Excellent characters. Fascinating exploration of vanity.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: BonBon85Guts is great. It'll be published in Playboy, so you'll want to check it out then. It's very funny in a very sick way. Two people passed out at the reading I went to and many others had to put their heads down and plug their ears. I think summarizing it would take away some of its effect, but I will say it is essentially just how he described it on Conan: 3 curious men each try something a little different and they all end horribly. I do have to wonder if the story will be as interesting in print form, though.

Okay, first off, I really understand now why people were fainting. My God, the descriptions and details were ghastly. It did make me cringe a couple times anticipating the reveal in my mind what I knew was happening, but I believe hearing it told to me would have been a whole lot worse. But it was also so damn wicked hilarious. It lived up to my expectations.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: BonBon85There was talk about an Invisible Monsters movie and I hope this happens. I know it's probably his least popular book, but it's my personal favorite.

Okay, just finished this book, and it was so funny, especially the one-liners. Excellent characters. Fascinating exploration of vanity.

SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T READ INVISIBLE MONSTERS

Should they make this movie, I have a great idea for a teaser trailer:  

It's set to Prince's "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" and it's just these ultra-sexy shots of a woman taking a shower, shot behind a frosted glass door.  Steam is pouring out of the shower, we get a shot of her back, her legs, belly button, anything but her face (of course).  We are absolutely in love with this woman.

She steps out of the shower, grabs a towel off the rack.  Now she is facing the camera, as if in front of a mirror.  She is drying her face and she slowly pulls the towel down, revealing her forehead, eyes, nose... and no jaw!  Her tongue just hangs limp from her mouth as she looks at herself in the mirror (us).  You can almost hear it now, the frat boys all shouting, "DOOOOOOOOOOOD!" in shock.

INVISIBLE MONSTERS

COMING SOON

That being said, I would love to see Rebecca Romijn-Stamos as the main character.

El Scorchoz

I met Palahniuk last year and asked him if some of his other books were going to get produced and he told me "Survivor" got a lot of interest but after 9/11 it went into development hell because no studio wanted to make with a crazy hijacker as the protagonist.

As for "Invisible Monsters", I read an adaptation that's currently being circulated to studios and I thought it was a really great read. It's got palahniuk's voice all over it, though he didn't adapt it. It would really be awesome if that script got made.
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

MacGuffin

Quote from: El ScorchozAs for "Invisible Monsters", I read an adaptation that's currently being circulated to studios and I thought it was a really great read. It's got palahniuk's voice all over it, though he didn't adapt it. It would really be awesome if that script got made.

Was it the one I posted about on Page 2?

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

dammit. i wanted to make invisible monsters. they'd better do it right. i imagined it like a movie made in the 60's. technicolor, cheesy acting, really cool and original shots. oh well.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

El Scorchoz

Quote from: El ScorchozAs for "Invisible Monsters", I read an adaptation that's currently being circulated to studios and I thought it was a really great read. It's got palahniuk's voice all over it, though he didn't adapt it. It would really be awesome if that script got made.

Was it the one I posted about on Page 2?

You mean the one supposedly written by Gweneth Paltrow's brother? No, someone else wrote it. Can't remember the name, wasn't anyone with a famous name.

Quote from: taz.dammit. i wanted to make invisible monsters. they'd better do it right. i imagined it like a movie made in the 60's. technicolor, cheesy acting, really cool and original shots. oh well.

Actually that exactly what it read like.

MacGuffin

Quote from: El ScorchozYou mean the one supposedly written by Gweneth Paltrow's brother?

No, I mean the guy on Page 2 of this thread. Jake Paltrow wrote a draft of "Survivor".

Quote from: El ScorchozNo, someone else wrote it. Can't remember the name, wasn't anyone with a famous name.

Was it the guy on Page 2?

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Scorchoz

Quote from: El ScorchozNo, someone else wrote it. Can't remember the name, wasn't anyone with a famous name.

Was it the guy on Page 2?

Sorry, should have read better. Yeah, that's the one, Jesse Peyronel. Have you read his script Mac?

MacGuffin

Quote from: El ScorchozHave you read his script Mac?

Nope, but if an anonymous tipster wants to send me a copy, I'll keep my mouth shut. I'd be interested in seeing how it was adapted. If it keeps that sharp sarcastic wit, I'd be happy.

Give me a great adaptation.
Give me jealousy.

Skeleton FilmWorks

subversiveproductions

i would fucking die if they did a film adaptation of invisible monsters.  that is without a doubt my favorite book of all time.  give me a hard-on.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

MacGuffin

Okay, so I'm almost through with "Lullaby" and decided I finally should start looking for a copy of "Choke" to complete my collection. After looking on ebay and the off-site sellers from Amazon, I found Strand Bookstore based in New York that had a hardback copy for $7.50, plus S&H. I bought that only copy because you can't beat that price. Well, today I received it in the mail and started thumbing through it, when right there on the page that lists the author, publishing co., title and graphics, I see Chuck Palahniuk's autograph! Holy Crap, I creamed my pants. I didn't expect that. It wasn't listed as an autographed copy, and it didn't have a sticker on the cover saying so. So it turned out to be an even better deal. Unless, of course, it's faked 'cause it looks a bit different than the autographs on ebay.

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Scorchoz

That's awesome Mac!!! Have you ever tried Amazon's used book store? They've got great deals there too. I bought Camus's 'The Stranger' there for 50 fucking cents and it came brand new!