wachowski thread ready for a title change

Started by pete, May 03, 2004, 11:28:49 AM

SoNowThen

GT, maybe if you didn't hate on transvestites so much, we could have a decent discussion around here...

:wink:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cronopioThat's a Jungian thing. You tend to be more perceptive about things while you're fresh about something. For example, when you learn a new word, the next day you'll probably read something that has that word and you'll actually understand it, unlike previous times, where you simply ignored the word.

That's also the reason why a lot of people think that they can communicate with dead people.
You can only take that skepticism so far, though... it's a little oversimplifying. I've seen Barry Lyndon before and remember the music well, so how can you say I've ignored it every other day that it's played twice on the radio? And I'm not sure Jung would completely agree with you. What about the collective unconscious?

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: cronopioThat's a Jungian thing. You tend to be more perceptive about things while you're fresh about something. For example, when you learn a new word, the next day you'll probably read something that has that word and you'll actually understand it, unlike previous times, where you simply ignored the word.

That's also the reason why a lot of people think that they can communicate with dead people.
You can only take that skepticism so far, though... it's a little oversimplifying. I've seen Barry Lyndon before and remember the music well, so how can you say I've ignored it every other day that it's played twice on the radio? And I'm not sure Jung would completely agree with you. What about the collective unconscious?

You said you watched Barry Lyndon on Saturday and listened the music on Sunday. So obviously you were more perceptive toward things related to Barry Lyndon.  And I'm guessing you don't remember what you dreamed on Saturday , that dream may have to do with it.

By the way , I don't like Psychology. I just like this Jung character.
context, context, context.

pete

(aha!  what did I say about film geeks and carl jung?)

first of all, I don't think reading the gossip column of suntimes makes me "fresh" about sex-change operations.  

And yes, asshole, I CAN talk to the dead.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

:cry:  :cry: Sometimes  I wish Carl Jung were called Mickey Mouse .

Note to self: Never, under any circumstances, talk about Psychology on xixax.  :brickwall:

Jeremy Blackman

Come on now, cronopio, instead of restating your case, respond to this:
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI've seen Barry Lyndon before and remember the music well, so how can you say I've ignored it every other day that it's played twice on the radio?
I'm not saying the increased perception theory is wrong... it's just limited.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanCome on now, cronopio, instead of restating your case, respond to this:
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI've seen Barry Lyndon before and remember the music well, so how can you say I've ignored it every other day that it's played twice on the radio?
I'm not saying the increased perception theory is wrong... it's just limited.

I don't think that seeing Barry Lyndon and listening to its music as in this weekend's short span has happened to you before, has it?

And maybe , this time , you payed a lot more attention to Barry Lyndon.
You even started a visual defence on it on the Kubrick forum.

bonanzataz

hi, i read xixax. i learned all my philosophy from waking life! HOORAY!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Quote from: bonanzatazhi, i read xixax. i learned all my philosophy from waking life! HOORAY!

Argggggg nightmare! I'll just post my adress so you can all send me your tomatoes.

godardian

Quote from: mogwaii can't help thinking about the lesbian sex scene in "bound" after reading about the surgery.

He's a lesbian in a man's body, just like on The L-Word.  :)  Cool.  This all reminds me of John Waters' excellent quote: "We don't need sexual 'orientation'- we need sexual anarchy." I find people who refuse to be enslaved by their biology, whether they're gay or transsexual or drag queens or heterosexually adventurous, very compelling.

SNT, it's your right to find someone's bravery "ridiculous" if you prefer that; what makes many things brave is precisely that they appear ridiculous to small-minded naysayers with little imagination who have no problem calling something brave "ridiculous." You kinda proved my point.  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: cronopio

By the way , I don't like Psychology. I just like this Jung character.

That's funny... I like Psychology quite a lot, and I'm not particularly enamored of this Jung character and his disproportionate popularity.  :shock:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Quote from: godardian

That's funny... I like Psychology quite a lot, and I'm not particularly enamored of this Jung character and his disproportionate popularity.  

Is Jung more popular than Freud there?  Because where I live he isn't... It's the opposite , in fact. Not that it matters though,

godardian

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: godardian

That's funny... I like Psychology quite a lot, and I'm not particularly enamored of this Jung character and his disproportionate popularity.  

Is Jung more popular than Freud there?  Because where I live he isn't... It's the opposite , in fact. Not that it matters though,

Your part 'o the world has it right. Jung is good for a lot of things, but (in my opinion) he's been ruined by crackpot reinterpreters. He's well worth reading and has some very interesting things to say (particularly for people with creative mindsets), but never, ever before Freud. He has this large cult that's sort of degenerated his work into a bunch of New Age/pseudomystical hooey, which is probably an American thing.

Basically, if you're gonna do Jung, just do Jung and ignore those who merely riff on his ideas. He's still second to Freud (at best), though. The thing about Freud is that people have built on his work in very intriguing and important ways, whereas with Jung it seems to have been a downhill trajectory from the original work.