graphic novel

Started by brockly, December 10, 2007, 05:29:10 AM

brockly

so about a year and a half or so ago i started making a graphic novel as a uni project, which i never got around to finishing. i thought maybe it was about time i showed some people (other than friends). although looking at how good some of the stuff posted here is, maybe this isnt the best place. anyway here is the cover and the first couple of pages (and by couple i mean four). some of the panels are incomplete (especially in the 3rd page).looking back on it i have no desire to finish it.

cover
first 2 pgs
next 2 pgs

squints

i dig it man. how'd you do it? what class was it for? it feels like the next couple of pages could be something out of the beginning of Time of the Wolf .
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

brockly

thanks. havent seen time of wolf so im not sure what to make of that comparison but im glad you dig it.

the class was just some crappy print to web digital publishing course. we were free to make anything that involved the use of layout and design software, image editing software etc. which we would then distribute online by making some phoney website. so i chose to make an "e-graphic novel".

i made it in photoshop mainly by manipulating photos i took (or found on the web). to get the rough look i just overlayed the thing with textures.

edit: here are a couple of pics i used in my design doc that will give u an idea..

http://www.users.on.net/~gcosma/novel/dd1.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/~gcosma/novel/dd2.jpg

The Perineum Falcon

you shouldn't hesitate to post your work here, no matter how bad you think it is.

i mean, i post my shit here all the time and it hasn't been so bad.

and we all know i don't take real photos. just meaningless shit.  :wink:

and, on the subject of graphic novels, i've taken two narrative illustration classes so far, but have never made my work public. maybe i should. we had one of the owners of Top Shelf Comics come and critique our stuff, and he gave really good criticism, so i've been thinking about going back and finishing/redoing completely my last one.

i don't generally go for the comics with your style, but the pages you've shown are good in giving a foreboding atmosphere. are these the only pages you completed?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

brockly

i only managed to pump out about 10 pages - had only 9 weeks and i was pretty amateur at photoshop when i started it. im with u on the style, if i could draw i would have taken a much different approach. comics arent really my thing but it was fun to try. you should post your stuff, id like to see it.

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on December 10, 2007, 07:32:25 PM
you shouldn't hesitate to post your work here, no matter how bad you think it is.

i mean, i post my shit here all the time and it hasn't been so bad.

and we all know i don't take real photos. just meaningless shit.  :wink:

good to hear. thanks :yabbse-smiley: