Podcasts

Started by cron, October 31, 2005, 06:33:32 PM

jenkins

beauty is embarrassing director neil berkeley shot a doc of the harmontown tour. i think i get to say "skip the podcast and wait for the movie." lol. at his la show the majority of his raps were about fucking someone's mother in various humorously cruel ways, and there was a long d&d-playing segment that included two big kickstart donors, including i think the president of the harmontown fan club. and there was a sense of "continuing conversations" for sure

so polka's #1 makes sense. skip the podcast and wait for the movie!

©brad

I'm not not a fan of Harmon. I'm just not diehard. Community was/is a show I appreciate and admire more than I love. The documentary sounds interesting and worth checking out. I like the idea of him going on the road after getting fired. He seems to be going through some kind of soul-searching on this tour (although he'd never admit that I'm sure).

Reel

This is why it's so important for me to read the backstories on Marc Maron's guests. I usually just skip it over if it's someone I've never heard of. Today he had Lynn Shawcroft on, wife of the late comedian Mitch Hedberg. Gonna be a depressing listen.

WTF

Lottery

Quote from: ©brad on March 05, 2013, 01:19:53 PM
...it's just recordings of live comedy shows where he gets wasted, raps, makes fun of his girlfriend, how fat he is and raps again.

That sounds really depressing.

©brad

I'm actually liking Harmontown now! I think the later episodes are better, especially when Dan doesn't get as noticeably wasted and rambly.

I still feel most podcasts today are way too freakin' long which is why I'd like to recommend the 10 Minute Podcast with Will Sasso, Chris D\'Elia and Bryan Callen. It's hysterical and yes every episode is only 10 minutes. Check it out. 

mogwai

Alec Baldwin has interviewed Thom Yorke on the recent episode of "Here's the thing".

https://itunes.apple.com/se/podcast/thom-yorke/id472939437?i=142231409&mt=2

mogwai

Did anyone listen to the interview? Quite intriguing actually.

Sleepless

Guys, I need help. I accidentally downloaded the updated version of Apple's Podcast app on my phone last night, and it has completely fucked up my podcast library. I had listened to certain shows out of order and then deleted them, but now they're all been restored so there's no way of knowing (apart from relying on my dubious memory) which ones I've already listened to or not. To make matters worse, the animated reel-to-reel feature that shows how far through an episode you are has disappeared from the app completely.

Take me as a warning, and don't download any updates for this app.

For those of you who long ago realized that Apple's podcast app was crap, can you please recommend an alternative? Preferably one that has the key aforementioned features which I'm now missing? I'm just really frustrated right now.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

It works fine for me.

Sleepless

I'm on version 1.2.1 (331). Is that what you have? Do you still have the functionality I'm missing?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah that's my version. The reel-to-reel is gone, but I can't say I ever referenced it. There's still the standard bar at the top.

If you've deleted downloaded podcasts, and you're saying those have returned, you're probably seeing them show up as undownloaded podcasts. You should be able to distinguish them by the download arrow that appears next to them.

If you need to distinguish between undownloaded podcasts you've listened to and those you haven't, you're out of luck.

Sleepless

The problem is there's a bunch of them (that I've listened to and not listened to) that are showing up as not downloaded and not listened to - even though I know some of them I have. So just shit out of luck on that I guess.

Not being able to see how long an episode is - or more specifically how far through an episode I am is the biggest frustration to me. Thanks for the input though, JB. Will have to do some research into an alternative for now.

Sleepless

Okay, so just in case anyone cares, I figured out how to revert back to the previous version of the Apple Podcast app so that I have my precious reel-to-reel feature back. I can deal with having to figure out which episodes I've already listened to or not. [/minorfreakout]

Jeremy Blackman

Some assorted podcast recommendations and re-recommendations...

Slate's Spoiler Special has been updating more frequently. I guess it's my favorite non-HDTGM movie podcast, and really the only one I listen to. It's always sharp and concise (a good contrast to Filmspotting), and Dana Stevens is a better podcaster than she is a writer. The podcast used to be infrequent, but they published 6 podcasts in May (Arrested Development, Behind the Candelabra, Star Trek, Before Midnight, Great Gatsby, Iron Man 3). I can't guarantee they'll keep up that output, though.

Slate's Culture Gabfest has been quite good lately. This week's episode deals with Game of Thrones, Much Ado About Nothing, and "selfies."

Lexicon Valley is back from its vacation, so that's good. Wow... these are all Slate podcasts so far.

If you haven't listened to International Waters, please do. It's absolutely delightful. Actually it's kind of torturous that it's only once a month.

Reel

My new favorite is Who Charted? Kulap Vilaysack and Howard Kremer hangin' out, shootin' the shit with assorted comedian guests, and dissecting recent trends in the top 5 music/movie charts of the week. It's a really fun show, the hosts have great chemistry. You just have to like the guest to appreciate it. And that won't be a problem this week, because it's our guy Patton Oswalt!