Outkast Double CD Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Started by Banky, September 11, 2003, 10:30:04 PM

Ghostboy

Did anyone catch the SNL performance? I seem to have forgotten how to properly program my VCR, damn it.

And Big Boi's CD is fantastic. GhettoMusik is amazing amazing amazing, and the rest of it is great. The only one I don't really like much is the church one, and even that one is really good.

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarateTo all the Big Boi haters: Quit being so white and predictable... it's good shit.
:kiss:
I like to hug dogs

phil marlowe

yeah, big boi's disc was the best of them. dre's was a little hit/missy.

©brad

okay hey ya is officially the most overplayed song, at the moment anyhow. i was in my car yesterday and it was on three different stations at the same time.

Pubrick

so now we can gauge how slow the public reacts to things.. 4 and a half months. interesting.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

good point P

Yeah, I think the 4 and a half months was because it took that long for it to cross over.  They just started playing Hey Ya on the rock station here about a month ago.

mogwai

a coworker of mine complains about the lack off hip hop on "hey ya".

true story.

©brad

true story

i have a law professor who is a loud person, and in saying that i mean he'll spontaneously shout right in the middle of a sentence. he also loves to pick on ppl in the crowd, make fun of them, etc. he's actually a funny (but pretty scary) guy.

anyhow, one of the things he does when he segues into another topic is he'll go "alright!alright!alright!alright!" as is done in said song. now, it is not uncommon for teachers to attempt to be "cool" to impress students, like they'll throw in pop culture references into their lectures just so we'll all know "oh wow you watch MTV too." etc. etc. etc.

so, he offerred extra credit to anyone who could name all the performers in the hey ya video. (andre 3000, the love haters, etc.) one kid did it.

i forgot where i was going with this... well i guess you know a song has reached the very tippy tip of the parabolic curve of popularity when law professors know the fucking video.

Pas

SHAFTR

so I know I'm late but I finally picked up this cd a few days ago.  I bought Stankonia a few months ago and didn't really get into it.  I enjoy the singles and some of the other tracks but I found the interludes detracting from the rest of the album.

I have to first admit that for the most part I dislike rap.  I really enjoy QTip,  A Tribe Called Quest and what I've heard from Talib Kweli.  Reason I bought this album is because I heard Andre's The Love Below was the "lost prince album".

So I've finished listening to The Love Below and it really is amazing.  I love how not only does he switch styles in the album but in individual songs.  IT does infact have a princian feel.

I'm halfway through Speakerboxx and I love the single but my favorite so far is Ghetto Musick, that song is just pure genius.

As bad as the grammys are, it is pretty important that this was named Best Album.

I'm tempted to look into more of their stuff...should I?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTR

.well.i would suggest gettign Aquemini.....its their best..and i don't mean that in the typical"its the best " speel that usually takes but .i'm serious......i think most here would agree its the best one out of thier catalogue...

Ghostboy

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: SHAFTR

.well.i would suggest gettign Aquemini.....its their best..and i don't mean that in the typical"its the best " speel that usually takes but .i'm serious......i think most here would agree its the best one out of thier catalogue...

...if not the greatest hip hop album ever.

©brad

alright i really like christina's "the voice within." the video is good, too. one long take in black and white; simple, nice (kinda reminded me of a pta video)

Ghostboy

Ignoring the fact that I'm not sure how this relates to Outkast, I think that song is really terrible but I listen to it anyway because I like Christina Aguilera for some reason. Kinda like how when Alan Cumming asked Rufus Wainright in Interview magazine who he'd rather do, Britney or Christina, he said Britney because he has too much respect for Christina and thinks she could do something great some day. Anyway, I'd like to see that video. I kinda liked the one for Beautiful, the aging drag queen was a lovely touch.

mogwai

Quote from: GhostboyIgnoring the fact that I'm not sure how this relates to Outkast, I think that song is really terrible but I listen to it anyway because I like Christina Aguilera for some reason. I kinda liked the one for Beautiful, the aging drag queen was a lovely touch.
i think the song is terrible too and if the video was normal as a video like mariah carey wailing at a beach in hawaii i'd hate it too. and i agree with the beautiful video, directed by jonas åkerlund. i love the bit where the song ends and christina hangs her head in a darkened corner. i also love the video to erm.. can't hold us down, with the huge ass pins and shit.