Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Started by Pozer, July 15, 2012, 01:01:16 PM

Ghostboy

Thank you all for seeing it (and more than once)!

Cloudy, no need to cross out those lines about the script / story / dynamics - it's a very valid criticism (although I'm glad it didn't sink the movie)! The structure  and editing of the movie is more complex than the story, and to some extent I think the two are at odds. In hindsight I might have made things TOO simple, and obfuscated on top of that. It was an intentional choice, but one I've allowed myself a fair amount of second guessing on as I work on my new scripts.

The album movie is pretty much exactly what I was going for, which was why jumping into Upstream Color right before we started shooting this was such a perfect palette-setter.

jenkins

mmhm. album movie. considering it off topic, but relevant, to express the fact that the concept of an album movie has been around for a long time and is highly important. what do you think antonioni was up to, and what do you think jarmusch was up to (in cinphile circles it was common to have heard the limits of control described as music), and even bresson and ophuls and ohwow the list. apart from the concept and form, which are ofcourse important features also, the idea is that you can feel the movie, and the movie moves in a way that gives you the feeling

watch l'avventura 5 times and you'll see what i mean. l'avventura isn't a hard movie to understand, but each time you watch the movie you feel and/or understand a different part of the characters. this is my favorite example because, like is being talked about for this movie, the way you feel when you watch the movie controls the way you interpret the movie

this is linked to an idea i've mentioned here earlier: the movie doesn't cause the response, the person causes the response

Ghostboy

Very true.

On a different note: here are a few MASTER style teaser trailers using footage that isn't in the movie (especially in the 1st one). These are what I wanted to put out into the world first, before any other footage. IFC didn't agree. Ah well.

https://vimeo.com/73112599

https://vimeo.com/73114624

Reel

SPOILERS SPOILERS  THE MOVIE IS OUT   SPOILERS

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on August 25, 2013, 09:42:19 PM
l'avventura Ain't Them Bodies Saints isn't a hard movie to understand, but each time you watch the movie you feel and/or understand a different part of the characters.

This was my main takeaway from the movie after two wildly different viewings. It is so steeped in the characters that if you're not aware of certain details in these people's lives, you miss out on a huge chunk of the story.

For example, upon first viewing I didn't know:

-Patrick Wheeler was the one Ruth shot ( until she asks him "remember that day?" )

-Skerritt's son had died in the shootout

-What exactly Skerritt's role was in Ruth's life ( I thought he was a cop at first )

On second viewing I could understand Skerritt's motivation a lot better. He lost a son and his best "employee" that day, and now he just wants to live out the rest of his life comfortably, knowing that Ruth and Sylvie are safe from harm. So when Bob escapes, it throws a monkey wrench into his whole plan, and he'll be dogged if that bastard does anything to try to take these girls he loves away from him.

It's strange how I totally shifted who I identified with on second viewing. At first, of course, I was rooting for Bob to win and see true love prevail in the end. Although Skerritt is his main antagonist, Wheeler seems like the bigger threat for moving in on his girl. Once you see the outcome, however, questions are raised. I have to admit that I was letdown by the ending, as one would expect when you have to see the guy you've been following around for 90 minutes killed, but it didn't quite pack an emotional punch that saddened me. I was bothered by this and first thought it might have been an oversight on Ghostboy's part, but when I watched it again I saw Bob as this hopeless, doomed figure, wreaking havoc wherever he goes. Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to walk the Earth anymore, so what if he has the cutest daughter in the world?

I found Wheeler to be the hero of the story, as much as I initially would've opposed the thought, because in the end he saves the day. He gives Ruth and Sylvie the life neither Bob nor Skerritt could, and really everything turns out the best for them, when you consider the circumstances. The fact that Bob gets to see Sylvie for the first time before he dies is actually a triumphant ending for him, I would say. Very bittersweet, because it shows us that regardless of his love for her, his absence and the things he has to own up to in his past would've never allowed him to be a proper father. Wheeler picking her up and sheilding her from the gruesome sight expresses this beautifully. I think the only times I got choked up were the two hugs between Wheeler with Ruth and Sylvie.

This is just me trying to put the puzzle pieces together in my head, but I would like to reiterate what has already been said that this was technically amazing. I love that you're not afraid of the dark, because you captured some really stunning imagery that felt very unique to my eyes in these days of so many overlit/saturated movies. It was refreshing. I was really impressed by the performances as well, I worried about how Rooney and Casey would be able to pull off the accent, but they were pitch perfect. Everybody was, above anything the word I would use to describe this movie is authentic.

I look forward to many more viewings and discussions and so forth.

jenkins

Quote from: Reelist on August 26, 2013, 08:15:27 AM
when I watched it again I saw Bob as this hopeless, doomed figure, wreaking havoc wherever he goes. Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to walk the Earth anymore, so what if he has the cutest daughter in the world?
<3 this. example of an interpretation that doesn't fully convert across human matters, yet nails its point

i thought reelist was matt35mm when i saw the ^post. how did that happen? anyway i'm into ideas and examples right now

Reel

Quote from: Ghostboy on August 26, 2013, 07:22:50 AM
On a different note: here are a few MASTER style teaser trailers using footage that isn't in the movie (especially in the 1st one). These are what I wanted to put out into the world first, before any other footage. IFC didn't agree. Ah well.

Those are really great. It was cool to see more surrounding the shootout and Bob's journey home. They worked on me, because now I'm all revved up to see the movie again!

Do you plan to do a blossoms&blood/Back Beyond segment for the DVD as well?

Ghostboy

Yeah. I have to make that ASAP. The dvd comes out in December. It'll have ST. NICK on it as well.

Jeremy Blackman

Will this be available on demand online, not just through cable?

Ghostboy

I don't think it will be until December-ish....

Kellen

Quote from: Ghostboy on August 26, 2013, 07:22:50 AM
Very true.

These teasers are beautiful. 

Cloudy

The one for Ruth....absolutely beautiful. Didn't get to these 'til now.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Lottery

Those teasers were awesome. I think I liked them more than the trailer.

I am Schmi

Gah, is this no longer playing in theaters? I can't find it in any of my favorite theaters anymore. (SoCal Claremont area.)

max from fearless

Came out in London today! Congrats. Looking forward to seeing it this weekend.
PS. The Ruth Guthrie trailer is friggin incredible along with Under the Skin teaser and the Gravity bits.

Kellen

Coming to my area Sept. 27, cannot wait!