Mine very own band

Started by polkablues, August 16, 2005, 10:31:13 PM

polkablues

So I finally got around to playing music in public, for people... I played for about an hour last night at this Christian coffee-shop (I was very "don't ask, don't tell" about my radical agnosticism).  It was initially going to be me and my bandmate playing, but he had a family emergency at the last minute, leaving me to face the mass of sixteen-year-old Christian girls, the guys trying to get into their pants, and the middle-aged, balding, don't-look-like-they're-supposed-to-be-within-200-feet-of-the-sixteen-year-old-girls guys all by myself.

All in all, it went great.  I got free coffee, the place was packed to the gills with people, everybody seemed to be having a good time, I sounded far more assured than I felt... I'm now the proud owner of a pack of chaste, underage groupies.  Go, me!

A buddy of mine recorded the whole thing on his laptop and cut out some mp3s, so I figured I'd share a few, let everyone here bask in my reflected glory for a few minutes. 

You can download the songs here.  (You have to click on the link, then download from the page that'll come up.  You can't just "save target as".)   EDIT: Scroll down a couple of posts for better links.

There's three songs in there; a cover of Ryan Adams' "Sweet Illusions", where I totally fuck up the bridge, a cover of Damien Rice's "Cannonball", which sounds great, if I have to say so myself, and an original called "Allison, You Never Really Know".

There was a girl there taking pictures with her digital camera; if she gets around to emailing them to me, I might post a couple of those on here.

Moral of the story, I'm now one step closer to the ultimate goal: actually being paid to do this shit.  Would that be the greatest scam in the world, or what?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

i'm currently stealing the file, very very slowly. what's up with Upload Hut, is it made for dial-up users only? use the stuff pete uses next time. 
under the paving stones.

hedwig

polkablues

Okay.  Here's a YouSendIt link for the file: http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0P1J6L8QEEOHI267Y2FC3RG32V

Once that's expired, here's a MegaUpload link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5AK0H9RT

pumba

Hey, sweet band man!
Check us out too!

www.myspace.com/menwithwood

we are 0 percent talent but we're all good looking.

polkablues

NEW SONG!

Getting a little better at this recording thing, too.  Do check it out.  Should satisfy you "Phantom Limb" fans out there.

www.myspace.com/greenmyeyesmusic

hedwig

it's a beautiful track and your voice control is definitely improving.

polkablues

Another new one.  A little more Pete Yorn than the other songs.

www.myspace.com/greenmyeyesmusic

or steal it outright:

http://rapidshare.de/files/12783542/True.mp3.html

polkablues

So yesterday, the day before my birthday, I spent the evening not receiving gifts, but rather giving them.  Specifically, the gift of song.  And this time I videotaped the fucker.

YouTube links for everyone!

Chest Rockwell

Sorry to jump on this late, but I don't understand this myspace garbage. How do I listen to the songs uploaded previous to these four songs currently on? I'm not so much into acoustic vocal-guitarist acts, but I dig your voice.

polkablues

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on February 01, 2007, 04:36:06 PM
Sorry to jump on this late, but I don't understand this myspace garbage. How do I listen to the songs uploaded previous to these four songs currently on?

Sadly, you can't.  Myspace lets you stream four songs at a time on your page, but any time you add a new one it replaces one of the old ones.  I'm overdue for a rotation, though, so when I have some spare time I'll try and put some older songs back up for a while.  Thanks for listening to them!

i have this recurrent joke/serious project with a friend of mine about a country band called 'the saddest man in san antonio' . we haven't got our asses to work on it but one day i wrote part of a melancholic song called 'same old fool'.

i want you to use the part i wrote and do something with it and your beautiful voice.

here it is:

gleamin' thru the alleys of redemption and hope
i found myself talking out loud to a picture of god
time had scratched it badly,
same  story with my soul
bartender came to me
said  can i help you, bud
didn't recognize me
hell i was still
the same old fool

same old fool (x100000000)

context, context, context.

polkablues

Quote from: cronopio on February 01, 2007, 09:10:58 PM
i have this recurrent joke/serious project with a friend of mine about a country band called 'the saddest man in san antonio' . we haven't got our asses to work on it but one day i wrote part of a melancholic song called 'same old fool'.

i want you to use the part i wrote and do something with it and your beautiful voice.

here it is:

gleamin' thru the alleys of redemption and hope
i found myself talking out loud to a picture of god
time had scratched it badly,
same  story with my soul
bartender came to me
said  can i help you, bud
didn't recognize me
hell i was still
the same old fool

same old fool (x100000000)

That's super badass.  I like that idea very, very much.  I'll see what I can do with it.

Pubrick

that's great. after that, if you feel like it, maybe you can make something out of the following passage i combined out of two post of mine. 10 best films of the decade (so far) and my hottest chick alive right now (so far) response to atticus jones.. i suppose you can call it "feeling listy":

city of
nobody
dancer in
amores p

Hedwig and
sexy b
me and you
mulholland d

turtles can
royal ten
finding nem
requiem