Rob Marshall

Started by El Duderino, April 06, 2004, 08:17:33 PM

El Duderino

I searched and searched and did not find. redirect if needbe.

so I watched "Chicago" again last night on Starz and i realized that it's really really well directed. some of the shots are priceless. especially in the "Mr. Cellophaine" scene.

so what are your takes on this guy?

maybe he's a tad overrated for "Chicago" but i like him.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mutinyco

Dude, there's a giant hole where your brick should be...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Memoirs of a Geisha Starting in September
Source: Los Angeles Daily News Thursday, July 15, 2004

After years in development hell - with at least three directors attached to the project at various points - Memoirs of a Geisha is finally on for a September production start under the direction of Rob Marshall, says the Los Angeles Daily News.

Final casting is under way, including that of the title character, Nitta Sayuri, as a beautiful child, for the part of the story in which she is taken from her home in a poor Japanese fishing village and sold into slavery at a geisha house, circa 1929.

The film, based on the international best-seller by Arthur Golden, will be released by Columbia Pictures in 2005.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I guess Hollywood feels compelled to make this. The book sucked. Maybe it'll somehow turn into a semi-decent movie. We can call this 'The Notebook Principal.'

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02Memoirs of a Geisha Starting in September
Source: Los Angeles Daily News Thursday, July 15, 2004

After years in development hell - with at least three directors attached to the project at various points - Memoirs of a Geisha is finally on for a September production start under the direction of Rob Marshall, says the Los Angeles Daily News.

:roll:

There go my hopes for the movie being good.  I don't know how people liked Chicago.  I saw the Broadway show and liked it.  The movie, with the exception of John C. Reilly, was flat.  

Maybe they'll surprise me and have the entire film in Japanese with English subtitles.

No, they won't.

MacGuffin

Marshall to direct 'Nine'
Director to adapt stage hit for Weinsteins
Source: Variety

Rob Marshall will direct a feature version of the stage hit "Nine" for the Weinstein Co.

Marshall and Harvey Weinstein previously teamed on "Chicago," the 2002 Miramax musical that won six Oscars, including picture.

Movie will be produced by Marshall and John DeLuca through their Lucamar Prods. banner. Marshall and DeLuca will also choreograph the film together, as they did "Chicago."

Marshall and TWC co-chairs Harvey and Bob Weinstein are in the process of securing a screenwriter.

Music and lyrics are by Maury Yeston, composer and lyricist of the original 1982 Broadway production written by Arthur Kopit. TWC acquired rights from Kopit and Yeston, who'll be co-exec producers.

Originally adapted by Mario Fratti, with a book by Kopit, the musical was inspired by the Fellini film "8½" and focused on a film director stuck in neutral as he tries to make a movie while haunted by the demands of all the women in his life, including a wife, mistress and even his deceased mother.

The original stage production was directed by Tommy Tune and starred Raul Julia, with Liliane Montevecchi and Anita Morris heading the list of women who haunted him. It won five Tony Awards, including musical. Antonio Banderas starred in a 2002 revival that won two Tonys, including revival.

"After I finished 'Memoirs of a Geisha,' I began looking intensely at (other projects), including remakes of movies, originals and Broadway musicals," Marshall said. "Nine" has a "seamlessness between reality and fantasy that is built into the fabric of the material."

Marshall said he'd like to lock in his leading man and actresses early and custom-fit the script to them.

"This one needs to be created specifically for the talent involved, to suit their strengths," he said. "Casting will be a big issue here, and if commitments complicate things, it will be 2009."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tolkin to write musical 'Nine'
Rob Marshall set to direct adaptation

The Weinstein Co. has added another high-profile name to "Nine," tapping Oscar-nommed screenwriter and novelist Michael Tolkin to pen the screen adaptation.

Rob Marshall is producing and directing the adaptation of the 1982 Broadway musical, which in turn was based on the Fellini film "8½."

Tolkin said Marshall's commitment to keeping the movie rooted in the postwar cinema of Italy was a key reason he wanted to embark on his first musical venture.

"On 500 channels of cable and satellite, the classic Italian cinema is lost for the young people of today," he said. "It was the era of skinny ties and the original cool sunglasses."

A longtime fan of Italian postwar cinema, Tolkin said he had seen "La dolce vita" and "8½" more than 10 times apiece. "At the Oscars one year, I helped (Marcello) Mastroianni up the stairs," he added, "so working on 'Nine' gives me a chance to have fun with things that have always been important to me."

Harvey Weinstein, whose teaming with Marshall on "Chicago" yielded an Oscar win for picture and a worldwide gross north of $300 million, called Tolkin the perfect man for the "Nine" job. "Michael's unique understanding of show business and the creative process will help create a clever and sexy film."

"Nine" follows the life of famous film director Guido Contini as he reaches a creative and personal crisis and has to balance the numerous women in his life, including his wife, his mistress, his film-star muse, his agent and his mother.

The long-running 1980s production featured career-defining turns by Raul Julia and Chita Rivera, among others. The original was directed by Tommy Tune and choreographed by Thommie Walsh. The show was successfully revived in 2003.

Maury Yeston, composer and lyricist for the original production that won the Tony for musical, will reprise his role for the film. The musical was first adapted by Mario Fratti, with a book by Arthur Kopit.

Yeston and Kopit sold rights to the show to TWC and will serve as co-exec producers. John DeLuca, a partner with Marshall in Lucamar Prods., also will be a producer, and he and Marshall will choreograph the film.

Casting is still ongoing, and Marshall has said that talent availability will in large part determine whether the pic can be ready by 2008 or not until 2009 or beyond.

Tolkin's last produced screenplay was "Changing Lanes" in 2002. The "Player" scribe has also written novels; his fourth, "The Return of the Player," was published in fall 2006 by Grove/Atlantic. He has written two current pilots in development at HBO, one of which he is exec producing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 18, 2007, 12:46:29 AM"Nine" follows the life of famous film director Guido Contini as he reaches a creative and personal crisis and has to balance the numerous women in his life, including his wife, his mistress, his film-star muse, his agent and his mother.

That's no sequel, that's a REMAKE.

MacGuffin

Weinsteins cast net for 'Nine'
TWC in talks with Cruz, Bardem, Cotillard

Rob Marshall and Harvey Weinstein have begun assembling the cast for "Nine."

The Weinstein Co. is in talks with Penelope Cruz, Marion Cotillard and Javier Bardem to star in the musical.

Marshall, who wanted to set his cast early to custom-fit the roles to the strengths of each performer, is also courting Sophia Loren and his "Chicago" star Catherine Zeta-Jones. Marshall will produce and choreograph with John DeLuca, his partner in Lucamar Prods.

Bardem just got the offer to play director Guido Contini, who experiences a creative and personal crisis as he tries to balance all the women in his life. That includes his wife, mistress, his film-star muse, agent and even his mother. Raul Julia originated the role onstage, and Antonio Banderas played it in the revival. The musical was inspired by the Fellini film "8 ½."

Cruz is in talks to play Carla, Contini's mistress, while Cotillard is to play his wife, Louisa. Although they have not yet committed, Zeta-Jones is being courted to play the director's muse, and Loren his mother, who appears as a ghost.

Michael Tolkin is adapting the script, with music and lyrics by Maury Yeston, the composer and lyricist of the original production. Mario Fratti adapted the original Broadway production; Arthur Kopit wrote the book. TWC acquired rights from Kopit and Yeston, who will be exec producers.

The combination of the sexy subject matter, and the fact Marshall is making his first musical since directing "Chicago" for Harvey Weinstein at Miramax, has made the four female roles enticing to many actresses with vocal and dancing ability.

Cruz is starring alongside Bardem in the film Woody Allen is shooting in Spain. Cotillard made her breakthrough playing Edith Piaf in "La Vie en Rose."

Bardem will next be seen in the Coen Brothers-directed adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy novel "No Country for Old Men," and helmer Mike Newell's adaptation of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's novel, "Love in the Time of Cholera."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Daniel Day-Lewis eyes 'Nine' role
Actor in talks to join Rob Marshall musical

Daniel Day-Lewis is in talks to star in "Nine," the musical Rob Marshall is directing for the Weinstein Co.

Day-Lewis would play the role of Guido Contini, replacing Javier Bardem, who dropped out of a planned fall start, stating he was exhausted from work and awards season. The role is a famous film director who experiences personal and creative crisis while trying to balance all the women in his life.

Penelope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Sophia Loren, Nicole Kidman and Judi Dench will play the women.

The original stage musical was inspired by the Fellini film "8½"; Michael Tolkin adapted the screenplay, and Anthony Minghella turned in a rewrite before he died.

The film is being produced by Marc Platt, with Marshall and John DeLuca also involved in producing capacities.

Landing Day-Lewis is a coup for Harvey Weinstein, whose first association with the actor came when Weinstein's Miramax Films acquired distribution rights to the 1989 Jim Sheridan-directed film "My Left Foot."

While actor and distributor clashed over the marketing, Day-Lewis later credited Weinstein with gaining notice for a small Irish film that might otherwise have disappeared. Day-Lewis won his first Academy Award for his portrayal of Christy Brown, who fought through cerebral palsy to become a noted writer. He won his second Oscar this year for "There Will Be Blood."

A TWC spokesman denied that a lead had been set: "Any of the names being thrown around is pure conjecture, and when we're ready to make an announcement, we'll let you know."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rob Marshall eyes 'Pirates of the Caribbean'
Choreographer-turned-director in talks to helm next film
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Are you ready to see Jack Sparrow swashbuckle his way through a big, flashy musical number?

Choreographer-turned-director Rob Marshall is in talks to take the wheel of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise from director Gore Verbinski. Disney and series producer Jerry Bruckheimer have been eager to set sail on a fourth installment with star Johnny Depp back in his bandana as Sparrow as early as next year.

Verbinski, with scripts from Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, directed the first three films to $2.67 billion in worldwide grosses. (The most recent, "At World's End," was released in 2007.) When Verbinski exited the franchise in April, the studio sought a fresh take to continue the pirate voyage on a potentially smaller scale. (The past two pictures cost north of $400 million combined.)

Marshall, who is finishing up the Weinstein Co. musical "Nine" for a November release, is not an obvious choice for a loud action-and-mayhem tentpole. But presumably, if he can corral the singing, acting and dancing talents of Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren and Stacy Ferguson, he can handle cannon battles, funny monkeys and angry natives.

The CAA-repped Marshall has directed the films "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Chicago," which in 2002 won six Oscars, including best picture.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

This will be a brilliant debacle.  The third Pirates movie was so ridiculous and so awful, the only way they could top it would be to bring in the guy who made freaking Chicago.  I also would have accepted Julie Taymor or Baz Luhrmann.  Maybe Paul Verhoeven, but only if they let him work with an NC-17 rating.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

A Verhoeven Pirates would be the most badass movie of all time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp in Talks to Join Disney's 'Into the Woods' (EXCLUSIVE)
Meryl Streep also in talks to join adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical as the evil witch.

Johnny Depp is in talks with Disney to join its bigscreen adaptation of the Broadway musical "Into the Woods."

Meryl Streep is also in discussions with the Mouse House to join the production to play the evil witch. Rob Marshall (who helmed Disney's fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean") will direct the film.

Musical revolves around a childless baker and his wife who attempt to lift a family curse by journeying into the woods to confront the witch that put the spell on them. Along the way, they encounter Rapunzel, Cinderella, "Jack and the Beanstalk's" Jack Little Red Riding Hood and other classic fairy tale characters. Depp will play Baker.

This would mark the second Stephen Sondheim production Depp has worked on after having previously starred in "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" which is also the last production Depp lent his vocal skills to, as it is expected that Depp will be singing in the pic.

There is no production start date yet for the film.

David Krane ("Chicago," "Nine") will arrange the music for the film, while James Lapine penned the script, based on his book for the musical. The original music is by Sondheim

John DeLuca, who previously produced Marshall's "Chicago" and "Nine," will serve as producer on "Into the Woods."

Disney declined to comment.

If Depp officially boards the film, he would head "Into the Woods" once he finishes production on Alcon's "Transcendence," which he is currently shooting, and crime pic "Black Mass" in the fall.

Skeleton FilmWorks