Anything Else

Started by EL__SCORCHO, August 03, 2003, 12:28:25 AM

EL__SCORCHO

Is anyone looking forwards to Woody Allen's "Anything Else"? I haven't been too pleased with some of his recent films, and the trailer for this film doesn't seem very woody allenish (except for the neurotic people of course).

www.anythingelse-themovie.com

anyway, what do you guys think?

BrainSushi

I'm pretty freakin' psyched about thissun'...

For one, it's got Christina Ricci in it, and I've had a crush on her since The Addams Family.

The premise also sounds interesting... doesn't seem too goofy, but just odd enough to make for a good come back from Woody.

One thing though: I don't like the trailer. Whoever designed the ad campeign for this film obviously has no faith that anybody would see this if they saw Woody in the trailer. He's nowhere to be found except at the end, where the words "from Woody Allen" show up. I mean, at least show us Danny DeVito in the trailer!

Dr. Duke

I can't wait. Woody's latest efforts haven't been THAT bad- Hollywood Ending had some moments, and Curse of the Jade Scorpion was kinda cute- but its not their not the type of quality films that we'd expect from the man who mad Manhattan. I read a synopsis for this movie and i was pleased, it sounds like Woody's doing one of his more "serious" comedies. Altough the trailer didn't do much for me, im still really excited about this movie.
I want you to hold it between your knees.

oakmanc234

I'm looking forward to it. It'll do horribly at the B.O. (you can't advertise something soley on Biggs and Ricci). I wonder what made him wanna do a teen comedy with 'pie fucker' Jason Biggs as the lead, but people couldn't get over why PTA wanted to do a Sandler film either.......
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Fishbulb

Hell yes you can advertise something solely on the basis of Christina Ricci. The shots of her in her underwear assured that I will see this movie.
But maybe that's just me.

chainsmoking insomniac

It seems they're targeting a younger audience with this one, doesn't it?  I  question the effectiveness of this trailer too.  Could Woody be stooping to a teen comedy now?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

filmcritic

To be frank, I'm getting tired of Jason Biggs as the loser in all of these movies. Christina Ricci looks okay in this role, but nothing great. I guess I"m tired of these directors trying to get "the hot new talent" in their movies.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Finn

I was really disappointed in this movie. it wasn't very funny, enjoyable or good. biggs was okay, but he's just playing the same loser that he does in all of his movies. ricci's character was just annoying and un-interesting. devito is wasted and allen is just playing...woody allen (as always).
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ghostboy

I enjoyed it in that it bore signs of the genius that marks Allen's best films. It was too long, and not funny enough for most of it, but it was pleasant. I think if Allen had chopped a few of his own scenes, particularly involving the rifle subplot, the film would have been a lot better. I enjoyed the stuff with Ricci and Biggs, though, and luckily that makes up most of the movie. It ekes by with a three out of four, on my scale.

For those of you who can't wait for Prozac Nation, this is the closest you'll get to seeing Ricci naked. That set must have been really cold.

Sal

So many people walked out of this one.  Rather funny, since all the girlies and boysies expected Biggs a la American Pie since this wasn't marketed for the Allen fans, who were the only ones that stayed.  I thought it was OK; I found Biggs and Ricci largely annoying, and it wasn't that their high class attitude did it in, but the weak execution that bordered on thinly stereotypical.  It shined in some parts though.  Allen does what he always does, which I always love.

Finn

Sal, the same thing happened to me. at about an hour and a half in to the movie, there must have been at least 7 people walk out. so it really did go on way too long.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

cine

Quote from: filmcriticTo be frank, I'm getting tired of Jason Biggs as the loser in all of these movies. Christina Ricci looks okay in this role, but nothing great. I guess I"m tired of these directors trying to get "the hot new talent" in their movies.

1. Ricci - acting since 1990. Done almost 40 films. Last notable role (indie films aside) - a small role where she dies in Bless the Child. Her last big movie was Sleepy Hollow, 4 years ago.

..Talk about a hot new talent, eh?

2. Biggs - Usually cast as a Jew down on his luck, so why should it be any different when WOODY ALLEN'S directing?

Teen Wolf

I liked it, imperfect as it was. Some of the gags were laugh out loud funny, others seemed recycled. Most reviews I've read have been pretty harsh. If some unknown had made this movie, it'd probably receive a lot more praise. Everybody knows what Allen is capable of, so when his latest product isn't a masterpiece a la Annie Hall critics are quick to spew vitriol. I don't know, maybe he should put out a movie every three years, taking more time to hone the material. Then again, maybe not. All I know is that I'd rather spend an hour and a half of my life watching a mediocre Woody Allen film than same amount of time with some over-hyped Hollywood bullshit. I like all the literary references he throws in, cinematic ones too. Who else making movies, with the exception of Wes Anderson, creates a universe where the characters can quote from the likes of Dostoyevsky and Camus?

Cecil

i liked it. mono is good

filmcritic

Ricci and Biggs are the hot new talent in Hollywood's terms. They're both young and supposed to be talented. The number of movies is irrelevant. PBH has done dozens upon dozens of movies but still hasn't gotten hardly any recognition off of them. Ricci has done many movies, but not all of them were big or noteworthy roles. They've both become popular within recent years.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert