White Stripes - Maximum

Started by bonanzataz, January 08, 2003, 09:27:16 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: StefenJack White doing his best Timberlake impression. On first listen this is garbage.
This has started to grow on me.

Whatever that means.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: themodernage02Get Behind Me Satan.
interesting. do u think it's like "get on my team, satan"
Quote from: themodernage02i thought it was like, 'here i'll protect you from all this other shit out here', so get behind me.
looks like we were both right. tho i still like my biggie smalls reference.
under the paving stones.

context, context, context.

modage

Quote from: cronopiohas it leaked ?
yep.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Post it mod!! you're our only hope!! sczzazazazaz.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

these might go down.  its been popping up and closing down like crazy because of the volume of downloads.  if it does i'll try to find another one...

part one: http://rapidshare.de/files/1884783/weugh9rJimi.rar.html
part two: http://rapidshare.de/files/1884919/4q3qghDuet2.rar.html
part three: http://rapidshare.de/files/1884933/CaeFer32.rar.html

pass=dub

its from a vinyl rip btw.

Stefen

Awesome, thank you. How is it?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

meatwad

i just got finished listening to it, and i am not happy.

To me, it sounds like left over stuff from the last two albums. Some highlights are the mostly acoustic "Little Ghost", "The Denial Twist", which could have easily been on White Blood Cells, and the piano ballad album closer "I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)".

the rest of the tracks seem like tracks that were not put on their earlier records for a reason. "Blue Orchid" sounds too much like "Seven Nation Army" to me, "The Nurse" starts off promising, with guitar jabs hinting at something big about to happen, but nothing does.

i'm going to give it another listen, but to me, this is def a step down. and i think jack white is obsessed with shakers and tamborines. almost every song has them

EDIT: "My Doorbell" is growing on me, still not up there with their best though

Stefen

Is this a for real album? Or are they just messing around? Jack White doesn't even play guitar anymore, he just shakes shit.

modage

yes, my first impression is: CAREER SUICIDE.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: meatwadTo me, it sounds like left over stuff from the last two albums... "Blue Orchid" sounds too much like "Seven Nation Army" to me...

That's part of their shtick, isn't it?  One of the reasons I wasn't thrilled with Elephant was because it sounded too much like White Blood Cells.  There's No Home For You Here was basically Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground Part II.  A friend of mine who is a big fan said that he read somewhere that they did that on purpose to show connections between songs on the albums or some shit; I personally don't buy it.  I think it's kind of lazy.

But I'll listen to any album that someone has labeled as "career suicide."

meatwad

Quote from: hacksparrow

That's part of their shtick, isn't it?  One of the reasons I wasn't thrilled with Elephant was because it sounded too much like White Blood Cells.  There's No Home For You Here was basically Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground Part II.

i don't really think Elephant sounded that much like White Blood Cells, or enough that it made me mad. I think Elephant has a lot less filler on it then White Blood Cells.

and here is a link to the video for "Blue Orchid"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: meatwad
i don't really think Elephant sounded that much like White Blood Cells, or enough that it made me mad. I think Elephant has a lot less filler on it then White Blood Cells.

Yeah, Elephant had less filler, but its songs didn't hold up to the ones from WBC, in my opinion.  Seven Nation Army was good... Cold, Cold Night was ok...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye