How to letterbox his films

Started by mutinyco, June 22, 2003, 09:36:03 AM

bonanzataz

cowboykurtis, you been BITCHSLAPPED!

jerry springer, eat your heart out...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cowboykurtis

Quote from: bonanzatazcowboykurtis, you been BITCHSLAPPED!

jerry springer, eat your heart out...

far from my furry little friend
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: mutinycoI am correcting you. Because you are wrong. A 35mm camera negative looks exactly like the 35mm negavitve you'd shoot in a 35mm still camera. It's 35mm. It doesn't look anything like 1.85, 1.66, or 2.35 anamorphic (2.4 Super-35).

if your think still 35mm has the same aspect ratio as 1.33, you are more mistaken than you know. where did you learn your trade, poster boy.

mutinyco

>if your think still 35mm has the same aspect ratio as 1.33, you are more mistaken than you know. where did you learn your trade, poster boy.
cowboykurtis <

Probably the same place you learned that 35mm is 1.85 prior to cropping. The only use for a TV safe zone is if you're worried about showing your work on TV. You use a TV safe zone predominantly when you're dealing with a TV shaped image, or 1.33. The edges will be cut off all around to fit the TV. (In digital editing there's even a title safe zone.) Or, of course, if you're a pussy director who's afraid of actually creating interesting widescreen compositions.

If 35mm is 1.85 to begin with, then why would old films approximate a square shape? And why would Europeans still use 1.66? Are you suggesting they lop off the sides of the film just because they think the image should be high instead of wide, thereby blowing up the image and degrading the quality?

1.85 was only standardized in this country in the last couple of decades. And it only first showed up in theaters, again, to compete with TV -- in essence, to make the pictures look LARGER.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mutinyco

And even more so, the whole point of this is that Kubtick shot using the full camera negative and preferred for his last 3 films to be viewed on TV screens in THAT SHAPE. If it were wider there would be black at the top and bottom. He certainly wasn't against letterboxing, if you view his films prior to The Shining.

What I was offering were tips to anybody who would like to see what the films looked like in the theater AFTER BEING CROPPED TO 1.85 OR 1.66 RESPECTIVELY.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Cecil

Quote from: mutinycoThe only use for a TV safe zone is if you're worried about showing your work on TV.

i agree with you about the ratios, not certain about the ones youve given about 16mm but i trust you. though, just to correct you, tv safe is also used for home video releases of the movie, and fullscreen dvd releases (which, like many have said, is what kubrick prefered). but im really curious in watching his movies in widescreen though. next time i watch em, ill be sure to try this.

mutinyco

There's a difference between "full screen" and the Kubrick DVDs. A traditional full screen release crops an already cropped image (1.85 for instance) into a TV shape. That's why it's called "pan and scan". The Kubrick DVDs are simply the camera negative prior to cropping. That's what I've been explaining -- the cropping I'm describing is how you then take it to 1.85...

-St. Joe

Cecil

no not all 1.85 films are pan&scan. most are fullscreen (unmatted). pan&scan is usually used for scope films.

mutinyco

Most 1.85 films don't need to "pan and scan." It's just a term that I find applied to anything that's full screen. But you're right, scope films are generally "pan and scan."

-St. Joe

bonanzataz

in america, was EWS projected at 1.85:1 or 1.66:1? I know you said it was intended for 1.66:1, but america doesn't use that ratio. what do they do in a case like this, just crop out more of the top and bottom?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

mutinyco

If you pay close attention, most theaters crop films slightly differently. I saw EWS in theaters at least 5 times. Looked slightly different at each theater.

The print that's sent to theaters is the full negative as you see on the DVD. Since most theaters in the US crop for 1.85, that's what people saw. In Europe they got 1.66. Kubrick hated 1.85, but understood it was the norm here. But just to clarify, cropping takes off the top and bottom. But the shots were composed with that in mind. Try cropping it with my instructions. See what I mean.

-St. Joe

bonanzataz

i would, but i'm just so damn lazy and forgetful it's amazing. if i do it with any, i'll do it with FMJ though, because the 1.33:1 to 1.85:1 jump is a big one. the other ones, not so big a change, and i probably wouldn't feel like doing it (but maybe. it could be a fun little experiment). Thanks for all the info. i don't know why everybody's jumping down your throat for being helpful...

mutinyco

You'll get the most by cropping FMJ. Looks amazing...

-St. Joe

cowboykurtis

Quote from: mutinyco>if your think still 35mm has the same aspect ratio as 1.33, you are more mistaken than you know. where did you learn your trade, poster boy.
cowboykurtis <

Probably the same place you learned that 35mm is 1.85 prior to cropping..

im not going to sit here and debate with you, im not going to DEBATE. (i just had to say that line from fargo).

mutinyco

Just use a better marker for your loot than an ice scraper...

-St. Joe