Stellar Performances in Mediocre Films?

Started by wilberfan, February 01, 2018, 03:30:41 PM

wilberfan

What would be the most notable examples of "Best Actor" award-winning roles in less than stellar films?   I guess I'm thinking of Gary Oldman as Churchill last year--as I'm assuming he's the front-runner in this catagory?  (To be honest, I responded more to Lithgow's Churchill in "The Crown".)

Should a good performance in a weak film be given equal consideration to a good performance in a strong film?

wilder

I actually like the film on the whole, but the first one that came to mind was Jeremy Renner in Dahmer (2002). Still sort of the the marker of what he's capable of, in my mind. Not necessarily award-winning, but a very noteworthy performance.

Bill Macy in Edmond (2005)

PSH in Love Liza (2002)

Alethia

Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine

Jeff Bridges in Tucker: The Man and His Dream

um.

Gold Trumpet

Al Pacino in People I Know. One of his all time great performances and a very forgettable film.

samsong

ben whishaw - perfume: the story of a murderer.  i actually liked this movie when i saw it (haven't seen it since) but i remember it being received rather indifferently.

daniel day-lewis, juliette binoche, lena olin - the unbearable lightness of being

andy garcia - the godfather part iii

tom hardy - legend, bronson

michael keaton -multiplicity... i really love this movie though.

marion cotillard - la vie en rose

ElPandaRoyal

I always think of Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight - so much so that I think people totally overrate that movie because of him.
Si