Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

grand theft sparrow

They should do something like with the Kubrick Archives and put a .5 sq. in. segment of the original canvas for the OK Computer cover in each book.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas on October 26, 2007, 07:53:59 AM
i wonder if this is the kind of thing you'll find at the local Barnes and Noble, or if i'd have to order online.

Easy to find out with a simple phone call.

And, unless you plan to buy something else through Amazon to get the free shipping, DDD has it:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=17763300
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

has anyone encountered any problems when putting the album onto an audio cd?

i've burnt it twice already to hear it in my car and each time the only tracks that play are 1,3,5,9 (thank god), and 10. the rest are COMPLETELY silent. the same tracks are "missing" when i play the cd on my laptop. basically they don't want to be burned.

sorry to go bigideas on everyone, but.. what the hell?? worst album ever.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Do you have it stored on an external HD? I was having problems burning it to a cd, but when I copied it to my desktop and burned it from there, it was fine. Give that a try otherwise give up on music and owen wilson yourself.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pubrick on October 30, 2007, 10:55:33 PM
has anyone encountered any problems when putting the album onto an audio cd?

no problem-o
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

The first thing I did was burn it to a CD, worked for me.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

screw it. i guess you get what you pay for.

Quote from: Stefen on October 30, 2007, 11:40:43 PM
Give that a try otherwise give up on music and owen wilson yourself.

that's a bit much, i'll just luke wilson myself. i'm gonna sit quietly in the background and occasionally remind ppl i went out with drew barrymore.
under the paving stones.

Weird. Oh

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8SOC7200&show_article=1

Most Fans Paid $0 for Radiohead Album

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Radiohead let its fans decide how much to pay for a digital copy of the band's latest release, "In Rainbows," and more than half of those who downloaded the album chose to pay nothing, according to a study by a consumer research firm.

Some 62 percent of the people who downloaded "In Rainbows" in a four- week period last month opted not to pay the British alt-rockers a cent. But the remaining 38 percent voluntarily paid an average of $6, according to the study by comScore Inc.

Radiohead broke with its past practice of releasing its music in CD format and through a major record label when it released its seventh studio album online itself. The biggest wrinkle was the band's decision to let fans pay as much or as little as they wanted to download a copy.

The results of the study were drawn from data gathered from a few hundred people who are part of comScore's database of 2 million computer users worldwide. The firm, which has permission to monitor the computer users' online behavior, did not provide a margin of error for the study's results.

Between Oct. 1 and Oct. 29, about 1.2 million people visited the Web site the band set up for fans to download the album, comScore said Monday. The research firm did not say how many people in its study actually bought the album.

Among U.S. residents, about 40 percent who downloaded the album paid to do so. Their average payment was $8.05, the firm said.

Some 36 percent of the fans outside the U.S. who downloaded the album opted to pay; on average, those fans paid $4.64, according to the study.

Radiohead's U.S.-based publicist said Tuesday the band had no comment on the study.

The online release sent shock waves through the recording industry, with some hailing it as a shrewd move at a time of declining CD sales industrywide and others writing it off as a publicity stunt that amounted to the band giving away its music.

The band, which also offered fans the option of buying a lavish box set for about $82, plans to release the album in CD format some time next year.

what a misleading headline. What constitute a fan? I heard and read about many people downloading it just for the hell of it, and not because they were necessarily radiohead fans.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

tpfkabi

paste magazine is trying the same kind of thing - you can pick your subscription price, minimum of $1............so i took them up on it.

MacGuffin

Radiohead's Reality: Just Two Out Of Five Listeners Paid For Download
Music-biz professionals suspect band made out well financially — but caution situation was a 'novelty' unlikely to be repeated.
By Gil Kaufman; MTV

The grand Radiohead experiment in letting listeners set their own price for In Rainbows earned the band tons of press and lots of compliments from their peers (and, of course, some criticism over sound quality). By some accounts, more than 1 million people downloaded the album.

But as excited as fans were, less than 40 percent of them actually paid for songs. According to data from comScore, a company that measures consumer activity online, only 38 percent of Radiohead fans ponied up any cash for the download, while a majority paid nothing.

For a band whose audience is notorious for their fierce loyalty and dogged devotion to the group's sometimes cryptic and challenging career path, that's kind of bummer, right? Well, not necessarily.

While Radiohead's U.S. publicist, Steve Martin, declined to respond to the comScore data, explaining that the band "is not going to discuss financials with anyone," and a spokesperson for the band's former label, EMI, also declined comment, we spoke to a number of music-industry professionals, several of whom said there's definitely an upside to the "freeloader" numbers — but noted that the band was one in a few who could benefit from such an arrangement.

"Whatever that 60 percent of people were going to do, they weren't going to buy the Radiohead album anyway," said the manager of several groups who have sold millions of albums on major labels, but who — like most of the people we spoke to for this story — requested anonymity. "Anyone who went to the Radiohead site to get it instead of PirateBay or some other site like that would never buy it, so it's not like they've been CD buyers their whole lives and supporters of Radiohead and decided, 'This week I'm not going to contribute.' Just consider those 60 percent to be gone already — except now Radiohead have their e-mail addresses and they can market to them."

According to the numbers posted on comScore's Web site, during the first 29 days of October, 1.2 million people around the world visited the In Rainbows Web site, with a "significant percentage" ultimately downloading the album. The percentage who downloaded for free in the U.S. was a bit lower (60 percent) than in the rest of the world (64 percent), and comScore found that U.S. consumers were willing to pay a bit more when nobody was looking.

Of those who did pay for the record, the biggest percentage, 17 percent, paid less than $4, and 12 percent paid between $8-$12, comScore reported. Either way you cut it, said the manager (who did not have first-hand knowledge of the specific details of Radiohead's financial dealings), Radiohead likely quadrupled their take on what they would have made had the record been racked in traditional record stores. "Now Radiohead are getting the retail, label cut, distribution and manufacturing margin, as well as the mechanical and artists' royalty. Of that 40 percent, they're getting a much higher figure [from sales] because they're using the Internet and the cost of distribution is so much less.

"It just validated what we already knew: If you give something for free, people will take it for free. That 60 percent acted with logic, while the others acted with emotion and said, 'I don't care that I can get it for free, I will make a donation.' That's illogical," the manager said. "But it's an emotional reaction they're appealing to with their fan base."

The comScore results are not based on numbers provided by the band, but culled from a group of consumers in comScore's worldwide database of 2 million people, who have allowed the company to monitor their online behavior. Senior analyst Andrew Lipsman said the numbers are "very valid," because the few hundred people the company tracked — he would not divulge the exact number for proprietary reasons — could easily be weighted to represent the whole online buying population of In Rainbows.

"Because it's a small sample with a small range of transactions, we're confident the numbers are accurate, and there's a small margin of error, maybe a few cents either way," said Lipsman. The study was not commissioned, but undertaken by comScore due to the intense interest in the album. Lipsman still cautioned not to use the results as a marker for the viability of this model for a number of reasons.

"Because they're the first ones to venture into this, they already have a loyal fanbase and they got the benefit of a marketing bump from the publicity that won't happen with other bands," he said. One very promising footnote to the download figures, he added, is that for every dollar of revenue from album downloads, the band generated two dollars in sales of its $81 special edition box set of In Rainbows, due out later this year.

A major label record executive who also requested anonymity cautioned, like Lipsman, that whatever Radiohead's take, the In Rainbows experiment should likely be looked at as an anomaly, not a new business model. "It was a novelty, and economics dictate that if everyone goes in this direction, it won't have the same impact," the executive said. "Also you have to consider that it was Radiohead, so the more people pile in, the less novelty and less traffic they'll get."

And while Radiohead could count on the millions of fans who have supported their albums and tours for 15 years, the combination of the novelty factor and the high rate of "freeloaders" who took advantage of the set-your-own-price deal paint a somewhat grim picture for less-established bands who might consider going this route — but who have not had the benefit of the promotional push of a label for more than a decade.

"If only 38 percent are paying for Radiohead, who the hell would pay for a band they've never heard of?" wondered another manager who has worked with some of the most popular major-label bands of recent years, and who requested anonymity. "Whether people paid for it or not, the download numbers are high because people wanted to be cool and there was some rubbernecking."

A less optimistic take came from veteran music-business attorney Peter Paterno (Dr. Dre, Metallica), a strong advocate of artists' rights to control the means by which they distribute their music. He said it's hard to tell if the download exercise netted Radiohead a pile of cash or found them running in place. "If your business model is giving away music and selling tickets, maybe this works," he said. "And maybe they have a broader plan to make money. But a band like this would make somewhere around $2 or $2.50 per album, depending on the pricing [with a traditional major label album sold at retail]. So even if they're making four times that amount, but they're only getting one-fourth of the people paying full price, they're in the same place."

Regardless of how many people paid for the download, in the end Radiohead had nothing to lose, financially or otherwise, from their experiment, according to Billboard director of charts and senior analyst Geoff Mayfield. "I think it's one of the most misunderstood stories of the year," he said of the blogosphere blowup about the album possibly signaling the death of major labels. "Radiohead never said they were looking for a new model, all they said was, 'We made a new record, here's how to buy it.' And within a week you knew they were negotiating with major labels. They never said they wouldn't sign another major contract.

"I think we can all assume this is not the whole album, and when it gets released [in stores], I suspect there will be more tracks, or some additional content, and enhanced audio," he continued. "[I'm sure they were thinking] 'There's only so many people who will buy it anyway, so what do we have to lose if some take for nothing?' They don't get your e-mail address when your buddy burns it for you from CD.

"And at the end of the day, I don't know how much they lost by doing it this way. But they gained a significant bargaining chip with labels through the press they got."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

that's an excellent summary of the fallout.

these bits especially:

Quote from: Some anonymous manager
"It just validated what we already knew: If you give something for free, people will take it for free. That 60 percent acted with logic, while the others acted with emotion and said, 'I don't care that I can get it for free, I will make a donation.' That's illogical,"

Quote from: Peter Paterno, whatever that means.
"But a band like this would make somewhere around $2 or $2.50 per album, depending on the pricing [with a traditional major label album sold at retail]. So even if they're making four times that amount, but they're only getting one-fourth of the people paying full price, they're in the same place."
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Well, I fall in the illogical 17%. 

Stefen

50% of that 60% is probably meatheads who only downloaded it because it was free. They probably were like "Man, I haven't heard of them since the early 90's!" Like the people who showed up to the CMBB screening just because it's a movie that isn't coming out for a few months.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

Radiohead's first single from new album 'In Rainbows' will be 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place' on January 14. The album however will actually get a physical release on CD and vinyl just before the end of the year.

The album will now be released through XL Recordings on December 31. Meanwhile, the band have distanced themselves from reports that most people who downloaded the record did so for free and took advantage of Radiohead's offer to let fans name their own price.

"In response to purely speculative figures announced in the press regarding the number of downloads and the price paid for the album, the group's representatives would like to remind people that, as the album could only be downloaded from the band's website, it is impossible for outside organisations to have accurate figures on sales," they explained.

The statement added: "However, they can confirm that the figures quoted by the company comScore Inc are wholly inaccurate and in no way reflect definitive market intelligence or, indeed, the true success of the project." [source: NME]

MacGuffin

Radiohead Deny Reports That 60 Percent Of Fans Paid Nothing For In Rainbows
Band sets December 31 for physical release of latest album overseas.
By Gil Kaufman; MTV

The physical version of Radiohead's In Rainbows won't be ready for your holiday stocking, but it will be released this year.

Radiohead announced Thursday (November 8 ) that the vinyl and CD version of their much-vaunted new album will be released internationally December 31. No information was given on whether the physical release will differ from the 10-track download released last month.

The first single from the album is "Jigsaw Falling Into Place," which will be released January 14. Though XL Recordings has been tapped to handle the album outside the U.S., it has not yet been revealed what label will distribute the disc Stateside. The band has reportedly been in talks to release the album in conjunction with ATO, which was co-founded by Dave Matthews, and Side One Recordings. A U.S. spokesperson said there is no information yet on when the album will hit stores in the States or on what label.

In addition to confirming the physical release, the band's statement also dismissed the results of a recent report issued by comScore, a company that measures online consumer activity. The comScore report suggested that 60 percent of fans who downloaded In Rainbows — which the band offered as a "name-your-own-price" product beginning October 10 — paid nothing for the tracks.

In the statement, Radiohead said the comScore data was "wholly inaccurate" and that it "in no way reflected definitive market intelligence or, indeed, the true success of the project," according to a report on BBC News. To date, neither Radiohead nor their U.S. publicist, Steve Martin, have agreed to discuss any of the financial aspects of the download scheme, including how many copies were sold or how much fans paid on average.

Denying that the average non-freeloader fan paid only $6 for the download, as suggested by comScore's report, the group's representatives also stressed in the statement that "as the album could only be downloaded from the band's Web site, it is impossible for outside organizations to have accurate figures on sales."

ComScore senior analyst Andrew Lipsman strongly defended his company's results when asked about the band's claims. "We're confident in our data," he said. "There's a minimal margin of error based on the size of the sample we used and the narrow range of values."

A British spokesperson for Radiohead also told BBC News that the band's figures on download sales are "not for public consumption" as "people were still downloading [the album]."

Skeleton FilmWorks