(Coen Bros) Editing

Started by mutinyco, October 12, 2003, 08:30:37 PM

mutinyco

Looks like the Coens have gone Apple. There's a new article at:

http://www.apple.com/pro/film/coen/
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

I hope they were paid alot of money to say that.  :x
I hope you were paid alot of money to post this. :x
I hope I'm paid alot of money for reading it. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

modage

ATTN: NYC

indieWIRE ANNOUNCEMENT: Apple And indieWIRE Present Daily Filmmaker Talks At The Apple Store During The Tribeca Film Festival

Apple and indieWIRE are proud to present Filmmaker Talks at the Apple Store SoHo during the 2007 Tribeca Film Festival. Get a peek behind the scenes from some of the industry's leading filmmakers as well as emerging directors. Come to Apple Store SoHo to hear these filmmakers share their stories: Joel and Ethan Coen, Julie Delpy, David Holbrooke, John Dahl, Mary Harron, Edward Burns, John Canemaker, Matthew Modine, Marc Forster, Tribeca Film Festival Student Filmmakers, and DJ Spooky.

All events are free and seating is on a first come, first serve basis, so be sure to arrive early. For store directions, please visit www.apple.com/retail/soho.

Joel and Ethan Coen - April 27, 4:00 p.m.

Hear Oscar-winning filmmakers Joel Coen and Ethan Coen talk about their filmmaking experiences, including how they used Final Cut Pro to edit their films "Intolerable Cruelty," "The Ladykillers," and the upcoming "No Country for Old Men."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if any other xixaxers are planning to attend let me know.  i'm probably going to take a half day at work so i can go.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

I think it might make more sense to take the full day.  By 8am, there's going to be a huge line, don't you think? 

modage

thats a good question.  i really have no idea.  i've seen Aronofsky and Gondry there and it wasnt too bad.  i will head over there at 2 probably, but my girlfriend has the day off and could be there earlier if needed.  but if you're going at 8am you can hold us 2 spots. :)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

If I can get the full day off, I will and I will.

Reinhold

i can't get time off. enjoy.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

grand theft sparrow

Unfortunately, I can't either.  Have fun, mod.  Sorry I can't hold a spot in line.

modage

that's too bad.  i'll let you guys know how it is.

grand theft sparrow

modage

that was fun.  sambong and (former xixaxer) mutinyco were there too.  it was sweet because we didnt have to wait out front like for most events, they just let us sit through the previous presentation inside and didn't kick us out or anything.

barry sonnenfeld showed up to moderate which was great in the beginning because he has a relationship with Los Coens and sort of knew how to get them to talk and then not so great when after 10 or 15 minutes he opened it up to questions from the audience for the remainder of the hour(!)  i'm reading their book of interviews now, so in addition to sort of already knowing the answers to any of the questions i might have had i was also aware of their somewhat prickly personalities and would've stayed away from questions that would bother them or go unanswered altogether (as more than a few audience questions did!)  unfortunately the one question i did have which was

you've made a career of doing original stories for your films and only recently have taken on a slew of adaptations, someone elses screenplay for Intolerable Cruelty, the existing film of The Ladykillers and the book for No Country For Old Men.  is there anything that prompted the move towards adapting others material?

but someone asked a variation on that question which was something along the lines of do they feel a difference in doing adaptations or original stories and they said it was basically the same.  i was lucky enough to get my Raising Arizona and Big Lebowski dvd's signed by the pair but neither seemed very thrilled to do so!   i can't remember if i learned anything new neccesarily during this Q&A, but it was still fun and interesting. 

edit: some stuff i remembered...

-they mentioned To The White Sea being the only script they ever wrote without any humor in it, and it being the only script they couldn't get made.

-they said that they looked more for lighting to create a texture and mood from a cinematographer more than camera placement because while they can figure out basically where to shoot something lighting is a complete mystery to them.  like acting.

-they write and edit together in the same room.  ethan types.  for editing ethan marks up a scene and passes them to joel by dinging a hotel bell and joel roughly assembles the scene.  if he doesnt like it he'll go through the takes and try to find something that works.

-they said that editing on an apple is not that different to them than editing on film.  but that they don't plan to shoot digital anytime soon because the technology is not there yet.  they've seen some work more successfully than others but unless you want 'that look' for your film there is no reason to shoot that way.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks