You Got Served

Started by Myxo, January 25, 2004, 05:19:32 PM

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin'You Got Served' Dances to Box Office Win  

Recently split teen R&B band B2K put the moves on the box office as its dance flick "You Got Served" debuted at No. 1 with $16 million.
only in january.  thank god its over.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

I thought this was pretty funny:

'You Got Served' a Shitty Movie

Rarely do you encounter a movie without a shred of originality. "You Got Served" is such a cinematic vacuum.

Welcome to the world of competitive dancing. Teen poster boys Omari Grandberry (also known as Omarion) and Marques "Batman" Houston of the R&B singing groups B2K and IMX, respectively, star as David and Elgin, the leaders of a street dance troupe. They take on all comers in an oversize boxing ring surrounded by rabid fans in a warehouse owned by neighborhood sage Mr. Rad (Steve Harvey).

No crew in Los Angeles can touch their scintillating moves until Wade (Christopher Jones), a smirky, spiky-haired suburban white boy, brings in a pack to steal their thunder. After besting David and Elgin, Wade snarls, "You suckers got served!"

This entirely derivative film swipes bits and pieces from a raft of urban classics, including "Breakin'," "Krush Groove," "Bring It On," "Drumline" and "8 Mile.'

The plot - and there really isn't enough of one to fill a music video - revolves around a rift between the dancers that occurs when David starts paying too much attention to Elgin's little sister Liyah (Jennifer Freeman). Will the guys patch up their differences in time for the big dance contest and a chance to show up Wade? Duh!

The other B2Kers - Jarell "J-Boog" Houston, DeMario "Raz-B" Thornton and Dreux "Lil' Fizz" Frederic - fill out the cast. Rapper Lil' Kim and MTV personalities La La and Wade Robson have cameos. But the acting is laughably bad, and you can see every plot twist coming from the megaplex hallway.

The real stars of the film, choreographers Dave Scott and Shane Sparks, are never seen. But they arranged the fantastic dance routines that are the only reason to buy a ticket to "You Got Served."

The dance-offs include a curiously high percentage of break-dancing moves, as the crews execute a variety of eye- and limb-popping head spins, windmills and freeze poses. That fits in with the oddly retro mood of the film. All of David and Liyah's dates are at the malt shop - you keep expecting Arnold of "Happy Days" to take their order.

Verdict: Apparently, it was as painful to make as it is to watch - B2K broke up shortly after the film was completed.

EDIT: The title shown here was not the title of the review. The review was simply titled "You Got Served" and I took the liberty of expanding upon that.

Ravi

Idiots rule the multiplex  :(

Chest Rockwell

pete

I went to an outdoor joint here in LA last night called the standard downtown.  It was on the rooftop somewhere and there was this little dance floor, where a bunch of old and young rich happy people were dancing.  Me and my friends did a little of that, then went to chill with our friends, and then all of a sudden I saw people at the floor forming a circle, and I was like "dance battle!" and dragged my friend in.  And these three dudes, approaching their 40s, were taking turns battling this drunk college student with the "I heart NY" shirt on and I guess the breakers were from new york and they felt insulted that that dude was wearing a NY shirt.  Anyways, me and my friend joined in afterwards.  I could only do the backspin, and was pretty terrible, but it was funny or soemthing and got everyone laughing.  And my friend came in all wobbly but was doing flips and whatnot.  We were totally sloppy, but we were like funny in a sexual way or something.  So we won the crowd over and those old b-boys gave us props.  Then afterwards I found out they were actually professional dancers, and they were all in You Got Served.  One of them was named "Easy Rock" (or Easy Cool or something) and he had a solo in that movie, in the red shirt.  It was pretty cool knowing that we (mostly my friend) served those guys, well kinda, they kicked our asses but the crowd loved us more.  I dunno, you had to be there?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02thank god its over.

Just when you thought it was safe...

You Got Served Sequel in the Works
Source: MTV

MTV says that Omarion and Marques Houston revealed backstage at Saturday's taping of the 2004 MTV Movie Awards that a sequel to their dancing drama, You Got Served, is in the works. Chris Stokes, who manages both singers, will again direct. He is currently discussing the script with the co-stars and plans to begin shooting in late summer.

"We're messing with the concept right now, trying to get it perfect, 'cause trying to top the first one is a big step," Houston said. "We don't want to do something that's too much like the first one, but not too far from it either. Sequels are tough."

"There's so many different directions we could go," Omarion added. "I didn't have a father [in the first film], maybe my father could come back."

The first film was produced for $8 million and earned $40.3 million domestically. The sequel will be out in 2005. Omarion and Houston can also seen together in the upcoming Fat Albert. movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Quote from: MacGuffin"We're messing with the concept right now, trying to get it perfect, 'cause trying to top the first one is a big step," Houston said.
BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is almost as bad as Anthony Anderson saying he liked the script for My Baby's Daddy -- thought it was funny -- and that's why he did it.

pete

come on, the dancing in it was pretty cool.
- Buster Keaton

Myxo

You Got Served 2: Leftovers.

Pwaybloe

You Got Served 2: Are You Being Served?

Closeted PBS fans UNITE!

SoNowThen

Quote"There's so many different directions we could go," Omarion added. "I didn't have a father [in the first film], maybe my father could come back."

That's so wonderfully and hilariously stupid.

Isn't there a movie about movies where someone makes a statement like this? I can't think of it right now, but it was some line of dialogue like "it'll be totally different, like in the first movie I didn't have a beard, but in the sequel I have a beard". Something like that...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Thrindle

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote"There's so many different directions we could go," Omarion added. "I didn't have a father [in the first film], maybe my father could come back."

Isn't there a movie about movies where someone makes a statement like this? I can't think of it right now, but it was some line of dialogue like "it'll be totally different, like in the first movie I didn't have a beard, but in the sequel I have a beard". Something like that...

Oh Wow, I just gut laughed.  Seriously.  Still laughing.
Classic.

pete

I just saw this--well, I got the DVD and skipped to the dance scenes.  the dancing is pretty good, but it's mostly hip hop dancing, not that much breakin' and not much b-boying at all.  the last battle though contains some of the best current b-boy talents, and they were doing some CRRRAAZY moves, plus David Elsewhere had a cameo in it, and Easy Roc (for the Easy Roc story check out page 1).

This is a clip of Dave Elsewhere, he's amazing:

- Buster Keaton

coffeebeetle

Quote from: SoNowThen

:lol:

Or: There are so many directions we could go with, such as writing a real script with a real story...man, the possibilities are LIMITLESS!

What is this world coming too?!?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: peteI just saw this--well, I got the DVD...

.... :rofl: