Charlie Kaufman?

Started by Xeditor, January 22, 2003, 07:30:39 PM

ElPandaRoyal

The thing is... I don't believe any newsthat come outon April Fools day.

And I also don't want to belive that Clooney is a fucko
Si

LostEraser

I've heard news on a so called horror movie that Charlie is working on to be directed by Spike Jonze. Has anyone else heard any more on this. I guess Spike's next film is going to be Where The Wild things are but maybe this will be his next project after that. Any news? Hell, any news on any new project by him?
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

MacGuffin

Quote from: LostEraserI've heard news on a so called horror movie that Charlie is working on to be directed by Spike Jonze. Has anyone else heard any more on this. Any news?

Fourth post down:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1809&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Quote from: LostEraserHell, any news on any new project by him?

Kaufman's next script to be produced is A Scanner Darkly:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=708&start=30
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

LostEraser

lol! Of course. I should have read the whole Spike Jonze thread (that's becoming a problem here when I want to post something since some threads are so long).

And I never even looked into the Linklater thread. Kaufman & Philip K. Dick, huh? Interesting.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

MacGuffin

A glimpse of Kaufman in temporary sunshine

With the growing success of his quirky, heartfelt films, Charlie Kaufman has become a Hollywood rarity -- a brand name screenwriter. The creator of such films as "Being John Malkovich" and "Adaptation" also has been branded as a recluse -- unfairly if you ask him. In fact, Kaufman was only too happy to talk about his current film, Focus Features' "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," which has taken in more than $26 million in its first 26 days of release.

The Hollywood Reporter: It's pretty rare that audiences are so aware of screenwriters, unless they also direct films. Are you interested in directing?

Kaufman: I guess I don't think of ("Eternal Sunshine") as a Charlie Kaufman film. I see it as a collaboration of a lot of people. There is a movie that I am planning on directing, and I haven't written it yet. I'm going to do that after (the project) I'm writing now that Spike Jonze will direct. I don't know if it's so much that I have an idea of how to direct (this idea) the way another director might not. I don't know how to phrase it exactly, because I enjoy collaboration. I just want to see what taking something from its inception -- and having more of one vision -- would look like.

THR: You've gained this reputation as being mysterious. Do you think that Nicolas Cage playing you in "Adaptation" added to the intrigue?

Kaufman: I've been referred a recluse more than once, and I'm not. With each movie, I've done press. I don't like to be photographed or to talk about my personal life. But I guess the cat's out of the bag now. (During 'Malkovich') people thought, 'Who is this guy?' There was very little known about me, and there were no pictures of me. Now there are many pictures just because if you go to any event -- or opening, or luncheon thing -- your picture's there and it's online. It's weird.

THR: Do you see 'Eternal Sunshine' as a kind of response to the standard sunny romantic comedy?

Kaufman: What I was trying to do when I wrote ('Sunshine'), and ('Adaptation'), was that the idea of Hollywood romance was something that I did not want to contribute to. I wanted to do a real relationship. So if I were going to the movies and I were to see this thing, I would think, 'Oh, OK, I can understand this. It has something to do with my life, it's not this unattainable fairy tale thing.'

THR: Do you tell these stories in sort of fractured ways to remind people they are watching a film by pulling them in and out of the movie?

Kaufman: Some people will say -- and I've seen it in print -- that I'm a smart-ass, or obsessed with mind games and puzzles and that sort of thing. I like interesting structures and I like being able to figure out a way to tell a story that feels specific to that story, as opposed to the structures for writing screenplays. And that's an issue that's addressed in 'Adaptation.' But I don't feel like I'm a smart-ass. I feel that everything I do is very heartfelt.

THR: You are now one of the few screenwriters who can attract talent to projects, the way Woody Allen or Spike Lee do as directors. Do you think about casting while you write?

Kaufman: When I'm writing, I'm not thinking about actors. I'm not thinking about stars. I wouldn't want to bring in a star to do the movie just because they can bring in boxoffice. One thing about these movies is that they are moderately budgeted and big stars come because they want to be there. They're getting paid, but not their fee. So they are there because they want to be there and they want to do the work. That was the case with Jim (Carrey) and Kate (Winslet) and Meryl Streep and everybody.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Great interview--short, but great.

MacGuffin

From Entertainment Weekly:

It was a dark and stormy morning. Genius writer Charlie Kaufman - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind screenplay guy and guest of honor at the drizzly Nantucket Film Festival - was discussing his new script, which he's writing for Sony with his Adaptation coconspirator, director Spike Jonze. "This is the first time that Spike has been involved from the inception," he said. "We pitched it together." Please, tell us what it's about. "No, I'd rather not," he said. "I wouldn't know what to say." Does Sony have you on a deadline? "They don't seem to," he said. "Might be good if they did." And then he laughed and laughed....

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

Charlie Kaufman on Charlie Rose

Seen this?

Thought it was good. But I don't like Rose.

Coen's on Rose was good too...just a side note.

private witt

I like Charlie Rose but he can come across as kind of crazy and irritating.  I hate how he talks over people.  I would walk out on an interview if he did that to me.  But I'm not famous yet so maybe I wouldn't.  Kaufman is one Coen brothers looking mofo, however.   Hey, who loved Love Liza?  Jim O,Rourke?  Hell, yeah, baby!  No, seriously, why is Bill Murray so fucking sad?  How come chris Cunningham's dvd left out so much of his work? Is 21 grams the wieght of the soul or the amount of yea that Naiomi Watt's character does during the film?  I don't know these things and I need help.  I'm sick with curiosity.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

socketlevel

Quote from: private wittI like Charlie Rose but he can come across as kind of crazy and irritating.  I hate how he talks over people.  I would walk out on an interview if he did that to me.  But I'm not famous yet so maybe I wouldn't.  Kaufman is one Coen brothers looking mofo, however.   Hey, who loved Love Liza?  Jim O,Rourke?  Hell, yeah, baby!  No, seriously, why is Bill Murray so fucking sad?  How come chris Cunningham's dvd left out so much of his work? Is 21 grams the wieght of the soul or the amount of yea that Naiomi Watt's character does during the film?  I don't know these things and I need help.  I'm sick with curiosity.

charlie rose is the shit, most talk shows are plugs for film makers and you don't learn shit.  i like how he gets down to the beans and actually talks about good shit.  he know a fuck of a lot too.

jim o'rourke is the man.  simple nice music with some of the most fucked up lyrics you could hear.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

A Matter Of Chance

maybe you all know this, but i was watching him at the oscars, and the man looks a lot like seth green.

Gamblour.

YEAH! I noticed that too....like it was really creepy. They're both really short too, it was quite uncanny. And Charlie has better hair.
WWPTAD?

The Obstruction

Quote from: MacGuffin

"with Clooney it was differenteven the end of the movie is different. I mean, Clooney went on forever about how my Confessions screenplay was one of the greatest scripts hed read. But if someone truthfully felt that way they'd want the person who wrote it to be onboard offering their thoughts and criticisms. But Clooney didn't, and I think its a silly way to be a director".

Maybe Mr. Clooney should take a hard look in the mirror and realize that his place is besides Mr. Soderberg as his loyal pet.
I mean Mr. Clooney is like a dog you have to be hard with it/him, and set boundaries for what is accepteble and what is not.

Who would be affraid to have suggery done by this man ?

"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

Ultrahip

BeingCharlieKaufman.com reports that Wilson The Volleyball (yes, from Cast Away) has been cast in the upcoming Jonze/Kaufman horror project.

so uh...yeah. that was unexpected.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...