Robert Zemeckis

Started by modage, June 13, 2003, 02:49:35 PM

Sal

Im a big fan of Zemeckis.  I dont consider him a "protege," likewise with Dante, who I fucking love.  BTTF is still the best damn trilogy ever.  I think Zemeckis was fortunate to have Spielberg produce his flicks, but comparing the two seems a bit short sighted to me.

modage

im pretty sure that spielberg helped get zemeckis foot in the door as well and kind of helped him get his start in the industry.  (im not sure that counts as protegee, but i really meant that he gets lumped in with the others, but i dont really see him that way.  i figured with the rampant spielberg hating on this board i was probably going to be torn to shreds for bringing up zemeckis, and am actually shocked to find that for the most part, everyone likes him).  i think ill try to see contact then, if it gets a recommendation to see for myself.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: SalIm a big fan of Zemeckis.  I dont consider him a "protege," likewise with Dante, who I fucking love.  BTTF is still the best damn trilogy ever.  I think Zemeckis was fortunate to have Spielberg produce his flicks, but comparing the two seems a bit short sighted to me.
Have you seen the Three Colors trilogy?  ;)

Me I love BTTF trilogy as pure entertainment, but saying "best ever" ... I don't know.  BTTFI is brilliant.  The other two were great too, but got progressively ... less brilliant.  IMO, of course.  :)

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: SalIm a big fan of Zemeckis.  I dont consider him a "protege," likewise with Dante, who I fucking love.  BTTF is still the best damn trilogy ever.  I think Zemeckis was fortunate to have Spielberg produce his flicks, but comparing the two seems a bit short sighted to me.
Have you seen the Three Colors trilogy?  ;)

Me I love BTTF trilogy as pure entertainment, but saying "best ever" ... I don't know.  BTTFI is brilliant.  The other two were great too, but got progressively ... less brilliant.  IMO, of course.  :)

I liked the BTTF trilogy more then the Three Colors trilogy, but wouldnt say its the best.

Redlum

Back to the Future is the first film I ever saw and still love it to this day. Love it. And not in a nostalgic way at all. Im not afraid to watch it in case it will ruin my affection towards it, in light of the fact that my taste in film has matured a little. If anything its enhanced, and I appreciate additional things. Such as the Marty:Thanks, Doc: Thankyou, moment. Gets me everytime now. I think the fact that the sequels were as good as they were is a testament to the groundwork and attention to detail that went into the first. The Bob's spent damn ages developing and improving the screenplay so of course the first is going to better. Amazing piece of work for what began as, or essentially is, a 'what if' movie. And I'll never forget how my heart broke as a kid when the Delorean was destroyed.

Contact I think is probably my favourite Sci-Fi movie ever made. 2001 is fantastic filmmaking but I dunno perhaps I find Contact more involving because its less ambiguous. And there were 18 hours of recorded static dammit.

Forest Gump...love it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Spike

Yeah, I said this before, but I just can repeat it: Robert Zemeckis is one of my favourite directors.
I don't know but in some kinda way I like him thousand times better than Spielberg. I had the great opportunity to buy the rare (in Germany it's rare) "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", Zemeckis' debut, on ebay. It's great. Really great!
I can't wait for Zemeckis' next "Polar Express" with Tom Hanks. The title is great. Now the movie is in post production.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

modage

i really want to see I Want To Hold Your Hand.  it seems like a precursor to Detroit Rock City (except the Beatles instead of Kiss)?  or maybe Calender Girl (instead of Marilyn)?  anyways, i want to see it.  

Spike you must LOVE the frighteners then because it PJ directed and RZ produced (and not just in a little way, but you can feel the Zemeckis prescence over the whole damn thing.  it really seems like he couldve directed it).  i loved it, saw it 2 times in the theatres.

i was reading over Conversations with Wilder again today at Borders and Billy Wilder said that Forrest Gump was one of his favorite films of the past few years.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Spike

You're right: "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is actually a kind of precursor to "Detroit Rock City". And it's with the Beatles. It's about some american kids in the 60s who want to get into the Ed Sullivan show, because the Beatles will play there.

And yes: "The Frighteners" is actually one of my favourite films of all times. I have seen it about 10 times or so and it's just amazing! The best performance is Jeffrey Combs as Special Agent Milton Dammers. So fucking crazy!
It really seems to be a mixture of Robert Zemeckis' and Peter Jackson's skills!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Sal

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaHave you seen the Three Colors trilogy?  ;)

Im lucky to be taking a class this upcoming semester at my uni which is a study on Bergman/Kieslewski (sp), and we'll most likely watch the trilogy.  I look forward to it.  

I agree that the BTTF sequels got progressively worse, but it wasnt too degenerative.  I appreciate the third because it really combines scifi and western well, and of course it's not something you come across in many films.  

And the Polar Express, God I hope that'll be good.  The book was my favorite as a kid, and still stands as the best children's book Ive ever read.  Chris Van Allsburg is a genius.

modage

Quote from: SpikeThe best performance is Jeffrey Combs as Special Agent Milton Dammers. So fucking crazy!

"My body is a roadmap of pain."

Ghostboy

I loved The Frighteners when it came out -- haven't seen it since, but I've been meaning to pick it up for years. After that, Dead Alive and Heavenly Creatures, hearing that Jackson was going to do LOTR five years ago was the best news ever.

Zemeckis' influence was definitely in there, though -- particularly considering he was one of the producers of Tales From The Crypt. I watched that show religiously in my pre-adolescent years, and his episodes were always great.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyZemeckis' influence was definitely in there, though -- particularly considering he was one of the producers of Tales From The Crypt. I watched that show religiously in my pre-adolescent years, and his episodes were always great.

I did too. I still have all the episodes on VHS from when I taped them off HBO.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

ALL the episodes!?!    *(drool).  now THATS a dvd box set i would like to have.

Ghostboy

I didn't have HBO, so I'd watch the Fox rebroadcasts. Sometimes I'd rent the ones that were released on video, or catch the original versions at a friend's house and I'd be like....I don't remember BREASTS!!!  :shock: Very exciting for a young lad.

Sleuth

I've never seen Twin Peaks

I almost bought Fire Walk With Me today, but I figured I'd have to be familiar with the series to understand it so I didn't get it
I like to hug dogs