WONG KAR-WAI

Started by Rudie Obias, March 01, 2003, 11:37:52 PM

Rudie Obias

he is definately one of my favorite directors.  the first wong kar-wai film i watched was CHUNGKING EXPRESS and it totally changed my life.  i can't even listen to california dreaming without picturing faye wong in my head.  after that i watched FALLEN ANGELS, HAPPY TOGETHER and IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE and fell deeper under the control of wong kar-wai.  i really cn't wait for 2046 to come out.

any thoughts?  opinions?  on wong kar-wai
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Duck Sauce

Quote from: rudieobhe is definately one of my favorite directors.  the first wong kar-wai film i watched was CHINGKING EXPRESS and it totally changed my life.

How so?

Ghostboy

The first time I saw Chungking Express (which wasn't that long ago), I had been up for almost twenty four hours and was barely able to maintain consiousness...that I did is solely because the movie was so good (although a whole lot of it was lost on me, I'll admit). Second viewing : brilliance.

I'd already seen In The Mood For Love, and loved it. Now I'm moving on to the rest of his repertoire.

On a similar note, Chris Doyle is one of my very favorite cinematographers. His style is just unmistakable and beautiful.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: rudieobhe is definately one of my favorite directors.  the first wong kar-wai film i watched was CHUNGKING EXPRESS and it totally changed my life.

How so?

first off, i meant to write CHUNGKING EXPRESS and not CHINGKING EXPRESS.  (the U and the I are next to eack other on the keyboard.)

well, i never really seen a film quite like it.  it had a lot of energy and a lot of excitment.  it was one of the first films i saw that was art to me.  i became obsessed with CHUNGKING EXPRESS.  i loved the repeated themes and the repeated imagery in both stories.  i remember tarantino talking about how wong kar-wai made a sequal to CHUNGKING EXPRESS called FALLEN ANGELS and i became obessed with trying to find it.  i found it probably 2 years ago being sold @ a blockbuster.  i later found out that he doesn't write scripts.  i really love his repeated themes and symbolism throughout all of his films.  (exparation dates, pineapple and the act of cleaning apartments) wong kar-wai is a huge influence on me as a filmmaker.  i really love his style and his energy and i try to incorporate that into my films.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Quote from: rudieobfirst off, i meant to write CHUNGKING EXPRESS and not CHINGKING EXPRESS.  (the U and the I are next to eack other on the keyboard.)

But the 'H' and the 'K' aren't.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffin

But the 'H' and the 'K' aren't.

wat due eu want frem me, eye kan"t phuckin" tipe!!

Ghostboy

Anyone see his video for that DJ Shadow song, Six Days (I think that's what it was called). Pretty cool.

I heard that just a month or so ago he decided to restart shooting 2046 almost completely from scratch. Can you imagine having that kind of creative freedom? Wow. I guess PTA kinda did that with PDL.

budgie

I've seen In The Mood For Love twice and recently I watched Chungking Express. The use of western music in both is hypnotic, as is Tony Cheung. What I really love, though, is the elusive narrative. In The Mood the second time round gave me a completely different perspective, cause there's was so much that had snuck by me the first time round. Chungking Express I will have to see again cause I have a feeling this will also be the case. When I saw it I did fall asleep after the first 20 mins (not because of the movie), and when I returned it was like seeing a different film. I have to revisit to work out how the two sets of characters interrelate. Beautiful, sly and philosophical.

MacGuffin

Fox Searchlight Pictures has entered into a partnership with Hong Kong movie scribe, helmer and producer Wong Kar-wai. Under the terms of the pact, Searchlight and Wong's Block 2 Films will develop a minimum of three English-lingo films that Searchlight and Block 2 will co-finance and co-distribute. Pics will be produced by Wong and Block 2, with Wong selecting the directors and supervising the screenwriters on each project. Claudia Lewis, exec VP of production at Searchlight, will oversee the projects.

Fox Searchlight prexy Peter Rice praised the helmer's "gift for creating films that transcend cultural boundaries."

Despite a considerable body of Chinese-lingo feature work -- his 2000 feature "In the Mood for Love" was distribbed Stateside by USA Films -- the Shanghai-born helmer is probably best known in the States for a short film, "The Follow," part of the BMW Films series "The Hire" that starred Clive Owen as a mysterious chauffeur. Anonymous Content produced "The Follow" and four other BMW shorts in 2001, raising the helmer's profile in town considerably.

Now, two years later, Anonymous is trying to do the same: Wong's manager at Anonymous, Paul Schwartzman, engineered the co-financing and distribbing pact for Wong at Searchlight.

Explaining his attraction to Searchlight, Wong called the specialty arm "an admirable and positive force in the global film industry" because Rice and his team "are not afraid to push the envelope."

Currently, Wong is in post-production on "2046" and "Eros," a three-part film project directed by Wong, Steven Soderbergh and Michelangelo Antonioni that will premiere in 2004 but is not part of the Searchlight pact.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I have seen IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE.  For one of my classes I have to choose either In the Mood for Love, Hsiao-hsien's Flowers of Shanghai or Kiarostami's The Wind Will Carry Us and do a paper on it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pookiethecat

anyone else have trouble being entertained by in the mood for love?
i wanna lick 'em.

edison

Quote from: pookiethecatanyone else have trouble being entertained by in the mood for love?

nope

pookiethecat

well skin me alive and call me luggage.  something is clearly wrong with my film tastes.
i wanna lick 'em.

AK

Quote from: pookiethecatwell skin me alive and call me luggage.  something is clearly wrong with my film tastes.

No, i just think that Kar wai is the kind of filmmaker you love or hate...

I believe In the mood for love is one of the best Love Stories from cinema... and as ghostboy said Christopher Doyle made an increduble job... all the lines and colours are flawless...

Also the score is awesome and Maggie Cheung is a delight...I heard she will make memories of a gueixa ...hope is true , cuz she is the soul from this film.

Weak2ndAct

Days of Being Wild is pretty interesting if you can find it (it took me forever).  Still meaning to get Ashes of Time-- I have to see what the hell he was escaping to make Chungking Express.