another line in error on purpose in Boogie Nights?

Started by freakerdude, December 06, 2003, 07:47:59 PM

freakerdude

The "I am very food" line (line edited from correction reply below by Onomatopoeia), "Business is very food" caught my ear when I first watched it. But I had seen Boogie Nights like 8 times before seeing PDL.

I searched for a similar thread of this line used in Boogie Nights and found nothing on this site....but I am sure somebody will redirect me anyway.

OK, when Lil Bill William Macy is talking to the guy about the lighting needs while Lil Bill's wife is getting banged on the driveway is when my line of question comes in to play.

Lil Bill says, "My wife has her ass in a cock". I turned the cc on and that's exactly what he said. Her ass IN a cock? What's the scoop on this?
MC Pee Pants

ono

The line Barry actually says is "Business is very food."  PTA is very fond of doing this to show some sort of emotional distress or bewilderment.  See also Barry saying "Hello, this is Back." to the phone sex operator.  In other words, yeah, I'm betting it was on purpose.

freakerdude

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThe line Barry actually says is "Business is very food."
thanks for being cool about my shortcomings and am curious if anyone else caught Lil Bill's line. Or I could have been hallucinating for the last 2 months and misquoted the captioning as well.
MC Pee Pants

Pedro

Quote from: freakerdude
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThe line Barry actually says is "Business is very food."
thanks for being cool about my shortcomings and am curious if anyone else caught Lil Bill's line. Or I could have been hallucinating for the last 2 months and misquoted the captioning as well.
it's a pretty quotable line...most of us here know it.  it's one of my favorite william h macy moments in the film.

Alethia

yeah i love it too, and i swear i remember there being a thread with a discussion on this.  anyone provide a link possibly for him, so he can read it if he wants?

freakerdude

man, that's cool. I searched for my wife has her ass in a cock boogie nights in the PTA forum but found nothing even with some slight mods.
MC Pee Pants

ono

I just searched for "ass in her cock" (all words) and several threads came up.  The search engine will omit the words "in" and "her" in your search, so it's basically searching for occurences of "ass" and "cock."  Quite odd what that would turn up if you looked anywhere else on the 'net.  Heh.

analogzombie

I am certain that the "ass in her cock" line was on purpose. On the commentary during the scene PTA says something like "When you write a script for a guy like Bill Macy you better know what you've written cuz he's going to say every single word, exactly like its written." This coupled with his other comments about how important it is to him for the script to be perfect so his job as director is easier, says to me that Bill Macy is a very intuitive actor who looks to the script for all his instruction.

plus it's like Lil Bill is kind of in distress when he has the conversation with Ricky J, so just like in real life, he does a little Freudian slip.

Also, you wouldn't miss a line like that in production. if he wanted to change it, he would have. Or maybe it was a happy accident and they just left it in, cuz they enjoyed it.

at any rate, i am glad someone mentioned that line. It's my favorite in the film b/c it shows the subtle humanity PTA is capable of: either directly through the script, or indirectly through his intuitive director sense of keeping the line as is.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Source 1 The Script:

LITTLE BILL
Are you givin' me shit, Kurt?

KURT LONGJOHN
NO, NO, HEY. No way, Little Bill.

LITTLE BILL
My fucking wife has a cock in her ass over in the driveway, alright? I'm sorry if my...
-----------------

And while Paul does state that Macy follows the script word for word, actors DO make mistakes.

Source 2 Cigs and Coffee:

"PTA was his usual comic self. He cracked several jokes during the evening. One interesting tidbit he eluded too on Boogie Nights that had always bothered me was the scene with Nina Hartley getting screwed outside & Bill Macy talking with Ricky Jay where he says "my wife has her ass in a cock". PTA said that the line was originally "a cock in her ass" but that Macy kept reversing it even after numerous takes, so he just left it in."

-- http://www.ptanderson.com/latestnews/archives/2001/oct.htm

Source 3 This BBS:

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=4080&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ass+cock&start=30

This stuff has been discuessed here before.

Check your sources analogzombie... don't propogate the wrong information.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

freakerdude

Thanks to Onomatopoeia for the search help and to 82 for the lowdown. At least I didn't get bitch slapped for my error in a PTA line.
MC Pee Pants

analogzombie

82: "Don't propigate the wrong information" haha, what a weiner

like I said, "it could be a case of Macy just going with the line trying things and PTA leaving it in." which, through your tireless scouring of the net has shown to be the case.

my 'wrong information' as you put came from my interpretation of PTA's comments on the commentary. at any rate, one opf my points was that it was intentional if even in the fact that it wasn't somehting that got overlooked and then left in the film b/c it wasn't noticed until editing.

no need to get agressive man.

Pedro

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU SAID WEINER HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote from: analogzombie82: "Don't propigate the wrong information" haha, what a weiner

like I said, "it could be a case of Macy just going with the line trying things and PTA leaving it in." which, through your tireless scouring of the net has shown to be the case.

my 'wrong information' as you put came from my interpretation of PTA's comments on the commentary. at any rate, one opf my points was that it was intentional if even in the fact that it wasn't somehting that got overlooked and then left in the film b/c it wasn't noticed until editing.

no need to get agressive man.

Dude, normally yes im an asshole.. but in this case I wasnt...  I only stated it firmly because you opened the post with "I am certain that the "ass in her cock" line was on purpose."

And then you try to even convince yourself of this situation which only exists in your head by saying "Lil bill is kindof in distress" or "you wouldn't miss a line like that in production". This is how rumours are started.

Also, little bill was played by Gary Cooper, and the line was actually "You got any gum?"
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

analogzombie

at least you got the asshole part right.

at what I was saying is that I am caertain the line was meant to be in the movie. To say, it wasn't a happy accident or somehting like an accidental shot containing a boom mic. Now whether this was arrived at through specific dialogue in the script (which I thought it was since I had not read the script and was misinterperting PTA's commentary) or wether through a situation where Macy played with the lines and PTA then chose to keep it. As for him being in distress, I think that for that line to work as it does in the finished film, there must be a sense that his character could make a slip of the tongue and it be believeable. I think for his character, seeing his wife in that position sufficiently puts him in a state of distress where it is believeable. And also believeable that Ricky J would not respond to the slip.

No one is trying to start rumors, this is a discussion group. And there is no need to ascert your internet dominance in such a way. Don't take it so seriously.

Oh and thanks for the film history lesson, jeez lighten up.