Touching the Void

Started by Sal, June 01, 2004, 07:08:36 PM

Sal

just thought id chime in and say what a great documentary this was.  It's about 2 mountain climbers that get in a shitload of trouble (well, one only) with no help.  Structure's pretty basic, just talking heads and then b-roll which is reenacted (by competent actors...it's actually really, really cool).  Plays really well.  Has some funny moments too, which I wont spoil because youll know them when you see them.  Anyway, seriously see this, even if you have zero interest in mountain climbing.  I only saw Aspen Extreme, so Im not a qualified "mountain climbing nut."  But when the character falls through the crevice into the cave...well.  If you liked that part, see this movie.

SHAFTR

I know nothing about Mountain Climbing and found this film to be very entertaining.  It took me about 20 mins to fully get into it but by the end I was very involved in the film.  It's an amazing story and presented very well.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

london

I loved the font in the opening credits.  I thought the artwork was really good.  I also liked the way some of the frames were shot with weird camera angles and close ups along with the obligatory panoramic wide view shots of that amazing scenery which was mostly shot on location.  When Joe fell into the chasm, it felt like he was in some other world in some weird universe.  
*Spoiler* I couldn't imagine making the decision to go deeper with the possibility that you would reach the proverbial end of your rope and just let go.  But then again,  I have never had to make that decision.  I want to note that he doesnt believe in god through this whole near death experience even though he was brought up Catholic.  That should say something to all those religious zealots out there.  *end spoiler*

I also find it interesting that Joe and Simon are not actually really good friends.
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

Myxo

This is a great film..

There is a book I read a while back about the horrors of Everest. Why anyone would put themself through something like that is beyond me.

For what? To be at the top of the world?

*twirls finger*

:roll:

london

"I'm king of the world!"
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

dufresne

Quote from: Myxomatosis

There is a book I read a while back about the horrors of Everest. Why anyone would put themself through something like that is beyond me.

are you referring to Into Thin Air?  fucking great book...
There are shadows in life, baby.